Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beeks

Watched it again last night having left it alone for a few months and for some reason it has got better...was by far my most pleasurable viewing and i've no idea why
"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid." ― Christopher Hitchens

radiator

I had very mixed feelings about the film the first time I saw it - I think being so invested in something as a fan - then to watch it, in the circumstances I did at the fan screening kind of broke my brain, and it took another two viewings to even be able fairly judge it as a piece of work.

It's definitely a film that not only stands up to repeat viewings, but actually gets better the more you rewatch it. I think the key thing is that it's a film that leaves you wanting more - so rare these days when the majority of blockbusters and genre films are so dense, longwinded and narratively unsatisfying that I wouldn't be able to sit through them more than once. I've noticed this within my social group as well - it's a film that people seem to grow ever more fond of as time goes by - unlike a lot of films I could mention that no one will really care about when the hype has died down - very much a modern cult classic.

I proudly have it on my Blu Ray shelf in good company alongside Robocop, The Terminator, Total Recall 1990, Aliens and Predator - it is, like them, a film I would happily watch any time.

Goaty

There an article about Made a Dredd sequel by 2000AD and fans on Total Film as someone post it to Made A Dredd Sequel on Facebook.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: radiator on 30 August, 2013, 02:05:25 PM

It's definitely a film that not only stands up to repeat viewings, but actually gets better the more you rewatch it. I think the key thing is that it's a film that leaves you wanting more - so rare these days when the majority of blockbusters and genre films are so dense, longwinded and narratively unsatisfying that I wouldn't be able to sit through them more than once. I've noticed this within my social group as well - it's a film that people seem to grow ever more fond of as time goes by - unlike a lot of films I could mention that no one will really care about when the hype has died down - very much a modern cult classic.

I could not agree more!!!  It has been such a bloody long time since I last wanted to watch a film more than once - certainly nothing this decade.  Dredd does seem to leave some poeple a bit bemused about the fuss after first watch.  My sister checked it out yesterday, and reported it as 'OK'.  However, it sparked a discussion about the strong female roles in it, something close to her heart.  She bizarrely had initially noticed that, and I suggested she watch it again. 

Considering all the action in Dredd it is such a nuanced and subtle film.  However, it's very easy to miss all this in first viewing, and even the second or third!  As such, it bears many repeat viewings.  I'm at around the 25 mark, but then I admit that probably is a bit much to expect of non-fans...

IndigoPrime

QuoteHowever, it sparked a discussion about the strong female roles in it, something close to her heart.
The great thing about the women in Dredd is they just are. There's no sexing them up. Anderson's a cop. Her uniform is the same as Dredd's, just a few sizes smaller. Ma-Ma, despite her origins, is just a ruthless bad-ass. They didn't turn her into some super-sexy evil vixen. She's just scary as hell, as a villain should be.

Many people (including a number of feminist bloggers) spent last summer waxing lyrical over various major films as hitting goals regarding women in film, but I just didn't see it. Avengers had a reasonable stab at it within the limitations of the Marvel universe, with two fairly prominent roles; but Black Widow was still Smurfette and seemingly suffered from a terribly sticky zipper on her costume. (For some reason, Hawkeye had no such issues.) And then there was the sexist guff of Bond. It would have been great to see more Dredd and Anderson for this reason alone; alas...

Goaty

Then show them these;

dweezil2

Sound like the 'Make A Dredd Sequel' bods on Facebook are cooking up a 'Buy Dredd Day' next month to help with the sequel cause!   :)

https://www.facebook.com/MakeADreddSequel?ref=ts&fref=ts
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

dracula1

Rewatched Dredd for my forth time with many more to come. To echo the other boarders comments it just gets better with age ( like a fine vino).

JOE SOAP

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 30 August, 2013, 04:20:24 PM
There's no sexing them up. Anderson's a cop. Her uniform is the same as Dredd's, just a few sizes smaller.

They're both equally leather clad sex-pots. Considering the amount of tight leather Judge uniforms being made, a proportion worn by women, it wouldn't surprise if a few of those cos-players are dirty buggers in the sack:

shaolin_monkey

Yeah, great, but why aren't they wearing their helmets?!?

Steven Sterlacchini

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 31 August, 2013, 12:24:42 AM
Yeah, great, but why aren't they wearing their helmets?!?

It looks like a 'pre troop' memento photo, before hitting the streets.

I'm sure a few people will have to take off their hats during the day to avoid chronic heat exhaustion. They're not like Burdis, yourself and me. The only person who will see my full face during a troop is the paramedic!

Hard core!  ;)

JOE SOAP

Steven Sterlacchini

Yep, that's cool.

Apparently "You can throw a rock in Atlanta and hit SOMETHING called Peachtree"

MR. ELIMINATOR

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 30 August, 2013, 04:20:24 PM
QuoteHowever, it sparked a discussion about the strong female roles in it, something close to her heart.
They didn't turn her into some super-sexy evil vixen.

She is still super sexy though.

Goaty

Haha! PeachTree!!

The photo of Judges looks awesome!!

Oh sorry but does that judge at middle left wear a jacket? But he got good helmet.