Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mimikeke

Quote from: dweezil2 on 03 April, 2014, 04:05:52 PM
I'm sure that Urban's handsome visage and fan friendly demeanour is also partially responsible for and something else he should be thanked for in increasing the awareness of 2000AD worldwide!   :)

Oh, definitely.  I met quite a few women at the Dallas con who had a, shall we say, creepy level of fanaticism towards Urban.  The lady whose video Molch-R pulled audio from for the Dredd: America reading was one of them.  When I was standing in line to get my poster signed she was telling me about her erotica she was writing about him  :o :o  :'(  I'm sure Molch-R had fun scrolling thru her tumblr for the video.

I was more won over by the fact I was mentally screaming 'f yeah' every time Dredd shot someone  ::)

dweezil2

Quote from: mimikeke on 04 April, 2014, 08:19:02 AM
Quote from: dweezil2 on 03 April, 2014, 04:05:52 PM
I'm sure that Urban's handsome visage and fan friendly demeanour is also partially responsible for and something else he should be thanked for in increasing the awareness of 2000AD worldwide!   :)

I was more won over by the fact I was mentally screaming 'f yeah' every time Dredd shot someone  ::)

That's the spirit!   :) :thumbsup:
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Goaty

Good on you!

But you maybe not like this, as it would send you mental!

Every Death in "Dredd" (Chronological Order) [SPOILERS]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbHG2DtePko

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Goaty on 04 April, 2014, 09:10:45 AM

Good on you!

But you maybe not like this, as it would send you mental!

Every Death in "Dredd" (Chronological Order) [SPOILERS]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbHG2DtePko

That brought my OCD out. He included the two kids Dredd stunned!  The title of the vid should be 'Every Death in "Dredd" plus two Stuns'.

Molch-R

I'm sure Molch-R had fun scrolling thru her tumblr for the video.

"Fun."

A.Cow

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 04 April, 2014, 10:35:17 AM
That brought my OCD out.

I think you mean CDO (all the letters in neat alphabetical order, as they should be).

IndigoPrime

It's interesting (and great) to hear about more women discovering Dredd. Really, that movie had no obvious right to bang the equality drum as it did, in the sense that it was, fundamentally, looking like being a fairly dumb and gritty '80s-style action flick. But through Garland and co., we got a smart and gritty '80s-style action flick, where Anderson was a cop (rather than being dressed in some kind of different uniform that was somehow more revealing), the main villain was a woman, and the Chief Judge was a black woman, because, well, why not?

It's such a pity at the time that this wasn't nearly evident enough. People were bafflingly banging on about how Skyfall was some kind of great movie in the equality stakes, but only a handful of women (such as Laura Sneddon) cottoned on to Dredd, hence, presumably, figures from the US stating that the audience was something like 85% male.

Here's hoping more women continue to discover the film and the comic, that the comic itself doubles down on women contributing, and that if a Dredd 2 ever happens that it's just as pro-equality in terms of casting and approach as the first.

mimikeke

Quote from: Molch-R on 04 April, 2014, 11:28:10 AM
I'm sure Molch-R had fun scrolling thru her tumblr for the video.

"Fun."

I'm sorry, I meant to put that in quotes too  :P

mimikeke

QuickQuag

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 04 April, 2014, 04:35:48 PM
It's interesting (and great) to hear about more women discovering Dredd. Really, that movie had no obvious right to bang the equality drum as it did, in the sense that it was, fundamentally, looking like being a fairly dumb and gritty '80s-style action flick. But through Garland and co., we got a smart and gritty '80s-style action flick, where Anderson was a cop (rather than being dressed in some kind of different uniform that was somehow more revealing), the main villain was a woman, and the Chief Judge was a black woman, because, well, why not?

It's such a pity at the time that this wasn't nearly evident enough. People were bafflingly banging on about how Skyfall was some kind of great movie in the equality stakes, but only a handful of women (such as Laura Sneddon) cottoned on to Dredd, hence, presumably, figures from the US stating that the audience was something like 85% male.

Here's hoping more women continue to discover the film and the comic, that the comic itself doubles down on women contributing, and that if a Dredd 2 ever happens that it's just as pro-equality in terms of casting and approach as the first.

Not obviously, no, which makes me wonder whether an alternative trailer from Anderson's POV might have been a smart move as well?

I've heard the movie itself does pretty well on the Bechdel Test. If there was a way to promote that alongside the usual "kick ass!" "non-stop ultraviolence!" etc...
The views above are entirely my own. And there's the problem.

mimikeke

personally I hate when marketing is obviously geared towards women...there's such a political correctness about the whole thing.  I just heard a story the other day about a fellow girl artist who had to sit in a meeting for hours listening to some higher ups (all men) argue about making a character's thighs bigger so the character could be branded as "we didn't draw the typical sexy video game girl."  But they were worried that then the core guy gamers wouldn't find her attractive...  ::)

I think your suggestion of the movie trailer being from Anderson's POV is good though.  I think that's why the comic is so awesome - it has all these female characters without branding them as such, who aren't trying particularly to be "strong"... who have their own flaws... if that makes any sense.

QuickQuag

Makes complete sense to me :)

We're lucky to have an Anderson who IMO could be leading a movie by herself - and hopefully one day will.
The views above are entirely my own. And there's the problem.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: QuickQuag on 04 April, 2014, 08:50:35 PM

I've heard the movie itself does pretty well on the Bechdel Test. If there was a way to promote that alongside the usual "kick ass!" "non-stop ultraviolence!" etc...

No, the movie fails the Bechdel test miserably!
The only time there are two female characters talking to each other (Anderson and the chief judge) they are talking about a man (Dredd)!

Mabs

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 05 April, 2014, 10:17:56 AM
Quote from: QuickQuag on 04 April, 2014, 08:50:35 PM

No, the movie fails the Bechdel test miserably!
The only time there are two female characters talking to each other (Anderson and the chief judge) they are talking about a man (Dredd)!

Good point!
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 05 April, 2014, 10:17:56 AM

Kaplan and MaMa discuss killing Anderson, which is a Bechdel pass.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.