Main Menu

A Trick of the Light - Retro 70’s girls comic

Started by alphadogau, 09 November, 2021, 11:45:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

Barrington Boots

My copy just arrived and it's incredible. What the other guys said!
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Bad City Blue

The art is stunning, no doubt. Aly would be great in 2000AD.

Whilst I enjoyed reading it, with the characters well defined, I found the end product of the story very disappointing, as it never made a lot of sense. Shame that.

A definite talent, though, will be interesting to see what comes up next
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

Bad City Blue

Here's a pin up piece by Aly that I bloody love

Bad City Blue

Quote from: Bad City Blue on 15 February, 2022, 11:12:12 AM
The art is stunning, no doubt. Aly would be great in 2000AD.

Whilst I enjoyed reading it, with the characters well defined, I found the end product of the story very disappointing, as it never made a lot of sense. Shame that.

A definite talent, though, will be interesting to see what comes up next

Been thinking about it, and the small problem for me was that I DID understand it, it just didn't thrill me, a bit of a soft climax as it were.

The period detail throughout is wonderful to pore over, and the hardback is beautifully produced.

Colin YNWA

Well my hardcover has landed and while I've not read it yet this one is a plain and simple WOW!

As folks have said the art is breath-taking and Tharg seriously needs to be thinking about how to get Aly Fell on board.

The production values are great and this is a handsome thing. I'll report back when read.

Barrington Boots

Aly Fell is back on KS with another beautiful looking project:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/alyfell/the-kissing-gate

Some sketch pledge levels in there too.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 20 April, 2023, 02:15:53 PMAly Fell is back on KS with another beautiful looking project:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/alyfell/the-kissing-gate

Some sketch pledge levels in there too.

Beat me to it. Just looked at this and only reason I've not gone in already is wondering whether to go with one of the sketch levels as I'm so tempted his art is so beautiful.

Dark Jimbo

Amazing! I missed out on A Trick of the Light, which I'm still kicking myself for, but I see he has an option to add a softcover version to the basket.
@jamesfeistdraws

Blue Cactus

Looking forward to this, the last one was fab. Beautiful artwork, lovely atmosphere.

Link Prime

I really enjoyed A Trick of the Light, even if it just fell short with the story - a harder swing into horror would have worked better IMO.

Aly Fell's artwork is just amazing however, and anything he produces would be worth the price of admission for that alone. His stuff is reminiscent of 00's wunderkind Jay Anacleto, with a dash of classic era David Roach. Just beautiful.
Echoing sentiment above, he'd be a welcome addition to the Droid roster, in any capacity.

I've splurged for the hardback this time, correcting my previous cheapo error.

I was checking if the hardback version of ATotL was given a general release on Amazon earlier (it hasn't), but found another interesting tome; An art book from a decade ago called Dark Rising. I've ordered it too.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dark-Rising-Art-Aly-Fell/dp/0865622248/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2P75O4Z514GSO&keywords=Aly+Fell&qid=1682586832&sprefix=aly+fell%2Caps%2C91&sr=8-2

Colin YNWA

Well my copy of 'Kissing Gate' has landed and WOW! Its immaculate. Down to the envelopes the postcard and prints are in, the black paper the books are wrapped in, it all just lovely.

The obvious care Aly Fell puts into they're art shines through in everything else as well.

I treated myself to a sketch and gosh its a wonder to behold. I've not even read this and I love it already. Hopefully other folks have theirs, or will soon and will be able to enjoy this lush wonder!

Barrington Boots

Mine has also arrived. Not read it yet but the presentation is off the charts.
I also have a sketch and I couldn't be happier with how it looks.

Michael Knight

I really recommend both 'Trick of the light' and 'The Kissing Gate' to all fans of gothic and folk horror. Absolutely beautiful books. I really hope we get to see Aly Fell in 2000ad and the Meg.