Main Menu

Meg 244: Back from the Dead

Started by ukdane, 03 April, 2006, 02:28:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al_Ewing

Not much space given to Rogue's disco proclivities. Is he into Chic or Diana Ross? Or both? We're not told.
Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

paulvonscott

Well, mine just turned up today (thanks denise!) and like the prog I don't have time to read it all.

Buy looking through I think it's a great move for the meg.  Knocking off ?1.50 from the cover price and losing some of the fluff (some of it pretty amateurish fluff) is no loss to me.

I had to read Charley's War as Blue was telling his story, because his life did depend on it.  I was worried I wouldn't like this as much as I think I remember Pat Mills saying he thought it went on too long, but I have loved it.  I even came over all emotional at the end.  Asbolutley brilliant stuff and just look at that bloody lovely art.

Having seen many collections of artwork such as the steel claw and spider, all I can say is whoever tidies these pages up has worked a miracle and gets my thanks.

I hope Charley's War comes back.  Fair enough that it has a rest I know not everyone is a fan and it probably needs a breather now and again, but please, more Charley's War!

Didn't mind the paper, don't mind if it's thicker.  I've enjoyed the six page comic arfticles so I'm glad they are continuing.

Thumbs up from me.  

Rob Spalding

Got mine at the weekend.
Have to agree on the cover, as did the guys in my local comic shop.  The cover should not be that much nastier than the actual pages, nice to hear it won't be for long.

But the most important piece of information I got from the Meg was that Rogue Trooper first appeared in 2000ad on my first birthday!
Don't know what it means for me, but surely it's significant.

SamuelAWilkinson

Good to see Trout amply demonstrating what happens to all the swearwords you have to retain when there's suddenly sprogs knocking about...

But to the Meg. Time for my first flight with the good guy/wank scale:

Dredd: Good guy. Nice little tale from Cap'n Rennie.

Charley's War: Wank. The way that Blue fella droned on, it's surprising the evil captain didn't die of hunger. He's been telling that story for MONTHS!

Koburn: Good guy.

By The Pricking...: Good guy, if you overlook the blood-boiling spelling errors. Well done, those men.

Black Museum: Good guy. This is exactly the kind of stuff the Thomas droid was built for.

Text stuff: Good guy, but then again most of it was new to me. Can't speak for anyone who was actually there.

In conclusion: yep.
Nobody warned me I would be so awesome.

paulvonscott

"Charley's War: Wank. The way that Blue fella droned on, it's surprising the evil captain didn't die of hunger. He's been telling that story for MONTHS!"

lol

Ah well, each to their own.

Bolt-01

I've got to side with PVS. I've really enjoyed reading Charley's war, as it is new to me.

The story wandered around, but hey, it was worth listening to.

And Joe Colqohoun's ART is a treat.

Bolt-01

Devons Daddy

i have spent some time to consider this.
i wonder if in say 6 years we are reading a piece by the new editor about this decision.which could well be regretable.

i dont like it,the meg is now just another version of the prog.but if it increases sales. i understand, but if it does not,then it was the greatest mistake since the huge reprint saga.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Devons Daddy

i know what it is. the meg is now STARLORD.
thats the reference i see it as.

sorry,but i dont agree with the decsion.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Trout

Trouty was demonstrating what happens when a sub-editor sees bad subbing in a publication he likes.

As for the content, I enjoyed the Meg. Koburn was the best bit.

- Trout

The Monarch

am I the only one who despises Shaun Thomas's art?

It ruined young middenface for me

scutfink

Yaay!

Somebody said it!

The thing is it probably could be good, if he took the time to finish it.

(File this response in 'If I was that good I'd be much better')

Floyd-the-k

late as usual......

JD; good fun, nice art. I kept thinking 'tribbles with teeth'
Charley's War; it's been going on forever, but that's a good thing
Small Press; I must've been in a hurry, didn't notice the spelling mistakes
Koburn; cheat! Fun, though. How will Koburn get around now, with his cigar-shaped ride at the bottom of the Arkansas crater (or whatever they call it)
Metro Dredd; no comment
Tales from the black crypt; Great story. I like the art, but it feels a bit unfinished.

new small meg; sob, I was used to the old one. Still, if the contents are good....

petemaskreplica

Got to disagree there, I think Shaun Thomas' work here and in Middenface is wonderful, and IMO much better than the painted stuff he did for that Apocalypse thing a while back. It's the rough edge that gives it energy. Not that I'm any more qualified to judge anyone else's drawing, of course.

Good Meg all round, I thought. Despite the shrinkage I didn't feel like I was missing anything, which I guess means it's worked for me. And if it helps boost the circulation it's all worthwhile.