Main Menu

Meg 251 - Fiend or Foe.

Started by DavidXBrunt, 16 October, 2006, 04:27:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidXBrunt

Cover - I should like this but...I don't. I don't like the golem desing and it's too dark. I always enjoy covers taht allow other artists to interpret the characters and I reckong Cam Kennedy could have scored a classic with the list of ingredients.

Intro - Right on. Although Matt agreeing with Tharg is no real surprise.

Dredd - The bees knees, the cats whiskers AND the dogs bollocks. I really enjoyed this episode. Don't care if it's three or three hundred parts long, this is a classic.

Fiends - just sort of is. Still Da Bishs best script to date. After Soul Sisters.

Siddhe - I enjoy the strip but this has been going on forever.

D'issy interview? Oooooh.

DavidXBrunt

Loved the interview. Mainly becuase I was slagged off at work for saying something I genuinely believe in and was heartened to see D'issy stating it more eloquantly than I did. Some great insights, some stunning artwork and I'm now gagging for a bit of Stickleback action.

I thought the reprint was a good choise in it's own right, it's a classic, but in the context of the Black Museum it was even better.

There were comments after the Winter Special (was that really a year ago) that Rufus and Al were the best things in it. Nice to see them working together, and a top tale. Nice use of colour too.

Tip top issue.

Byron Virgo

Great Meg this month - haven't had time to read all of it yet, but it really seems like the comic's having a return to form. I really feel enthused by almost all of the contents this month, whilst for the prvious two I've been somewhat apathetic about some parts.

Fiends is great too, and finally beginning to kick into gear. Perhaps it's something to do with that rather kick-arse Golem that MacNeil's drawing.

Also, nice nod to FutureQuake Publishing there (well done chaps!), and do I spy a certain 'Dave Evans' from Birmingham on the letters page...?

The Amstor Computer

Bdoink!http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/buttonman/251.jpg">

Jim_Campbell

"D'issy interview? Oooooh."

Good interview ... but why only the obliquest allusions to Lazarus Churchyard? Have I missed something? Does Mr Brooker not like to talk about it?

I only ask because it does seem to be a rather glaring omission (and, of course, because I fucking love Lazarus Churchyard) ...

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Rex Banner

Really impressed with Tales from the Black Museum. Both Mr Ewing & Mr Dayglo on top form & the black, white & green work well together.

Rufus, any chance of posting a better scan of the picture that's shamefully obscured on the contents page?

Dark Jimbo

I wondered about the Lazarus omission myself. I actually went through it three times trying to find the bit where it was mentioned before I realised it wasn't. Bit weird, especially as they included a pic from it at the end.
@jamesfeistdraws

Jim_Campbell

"Bit weird, especially as they included a pic from it at the end."

Plus, I must say, for all Matt's growth and experimentation as an artist, for all the Big Love I have for his more recent stuff, I always liked his inks best when they were spiky.

Cheers!

Jim

nick-is-at-home

I think the Megazine is becoming a real rival tio the weekly now. I think i'd choose this over that if i could  only get one...

Other features, great comics which have longer page counts, it all adds up!

+rufus+

+rufus+

Ooopssss...http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v467/mc1juve/MEG_Illo_1.png">

DavidXBrunt

Aspicus

Even Chiaroscuro was mentioned in the D'Israeli interview.  Wandered what he was on about until I realised it was a real word.  Thrills and education.

I noticed that lack of mention of Lazarus Churchyard as well (well apart from one picture at the end).  Surely this is one of D'Isaeli's high points - strange that it's not mentioned.

Jim_Campbell

"I think the Megazine is becoming a real rival tio the weekly now."

It is pretty good at the moment. Fiends started out really quite dull, but it's picked up (and benefitted from better lettering!) and I'm rather enjoying it at the moment.

The small press strip is a bit hit and miss, as is Black Museum - when those two are readable (as they are this issue), then the only fly in the proverbial is Black Siddha.

I know BS has its fans, but I can't read it. I tried, I really tried, for the first couple of episodes, but it seems to make no sense to me.

I just keep thinking: "Oh, God ... hasn't this ended yet?"

Cheers

Jim

Art

The Black Museum peice is awesome, that's the first one of those that's truly worked for me.