Main Menu

Meg 255 - Sea Dogs! What? No-ones read it yet?

Started by DavidXBrunt, 05 February, 2007, 10:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

Well, a year-long blip.  More a beeeeeeeeep.

Just as I resent Empire farting about with games reviews (because, you know, they're film reviewers), I resent the Megazine farting about with film and television reviews because they're (supposedly) comic creators.  It just seems like content for the sake of content.  

Anyway, I'm just treading old ground - I've said all this before.

My maths up above explains quite clearly why I feel hard done by with the current Meg.  That and 2000AD is a weekly buzz, whilst the Meg is now a monthly downer.  It needs a serious shake-up (for me) - as this is the closest I've come to calling it a day when my sub runs out.  It obviously won't effect anyone if I do stop buying it - but I reckon (having bought every issue of both 2000AD and the megazine) I'm at least allowed a bit of a moan about it.

On the plus side, if I stop buying it, I'll stop moaning about it.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

COMMANDO FORCES

Bishops Cop article is one of the only features like this in the Meg that I have actually enjoyed as I watch some of the shows he talks about. Although there seemed to be be quite a few pics of Bones and not much written about it!!!!
Even though I enjoyed this one I still would rather not see these features at all.
Then again if we have to have them why not go the whole hog and lets have some cooking, gardening, DIY and antiques features as they are just as relevant to the Meg.

paulvonscott

"I'm at least allowed a bit of a moan about it."

Moan as much as you like.

"Then again if we have to have them why not go the whole hog and lets have some cooking, gardening, DIY and antiques features as they are just as relevant to the Meg."

No, they're not.

WoD

Man, Oh Man...I'm liking the Meg at the minute...so I'm clearly weird, but happy...

Proudhuff

Not the Megs finest hour, not its worse either, I don't mind the film pages as I can't be arsed reading SFX/ Total Film etc so its a wee poiter for me

Devlins the best so far, the rest is well there.

'Black Order Brigade, by Bilal and Christin' is bloody marvelous and I couldn't recommend it enough, its ben republished recently with The Hunting Party in an issue called something like Chaos Theory

Now that would be a reprint the Tharg should put in the Meg

Lord Hufty
DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

thrillpowerseeker

Devlin Waugh!....the Bollocks : )  : )  : )
The rest...bleh : |  

Bad Andy

You're all mad. Simping Detective is brilliant and the structure of this tale is a clever break from the norm.

I've only read two things in this issue so far. New Dredd - quite pointless - and Simp.

paulvonscott

It's a bit of a weak Meg, and that weakness to me is all down to having the five stories all Dredd or Dreddworld.  Exactly what everyone says they want yet never works.  

Thought Devlyn Waugh was brilliant, the art and story pacing is much more involving than the Neverending Vampire Story.  I'm always dissapointed to read an under par Waugh story, as it's always seemed like one of the most succesful spin offs.  Though in truth it's generally off in its own mad little world.

I've dipped into bits of both the cop and film articles, and I'll probably continue to do so till next issue.

Reprint was fine.  Felt familiar but couldn't really remember it.

Small press was an enthusiastic pitch.

So a little sluggish perhaps, but we have a gap next week with the Black Atlantic gone, so maybe we'll get lucky there.

Byron Virgo

"It's a bit of a weak Meg, and that weakness to me is all down to having the five stories all Dredd or Dreddworld. Exactly what everyone says they want yet never works."

I'm with you on that one, Paul - I always think that there ought to be at least one non-Dreddverse strip per issue, as otherwise it all just comes across as a bit 'samey'. One of the reasons that Devlin Waugh works so well is that it's very far removed from Dredd (though of course not so far that there can't be the odd crossover).

I'd like to see more stuff along the lines of The Bendatti Vendetta and Xtnct - particularly since they relied on self-contained episodes that built into a longer story.

Art

I don't think the small press 20 tips thing was that bad - seems like  it would be helpfull to someone just getting into the game, and it might encourage a few new people tohave a go, which is overall a positive thing.

Byron Virgo

I think he could have made more of the fact that you can actually print all this stuff yourself if you want to, though - and with the growth of desktop publishing, that's getting easier and easier. Just look at Al Ewing's mini-comics and the like to see what can be done.

Bolt-01

Yup. I might use a printer for the FQP and dogbreath stuff, but Lost Property is printed by myself at home (work) and has really good results.

If I ever do any more collections in the A5 size I'll be doing as many of them as I can this way.

Bolt-01.

btw: I liked the meg. Think the format is still finding its feet, but the strips were all good and Devlin in particular was a delight.

paulvonscott

"I don't think the small press 20 tips thing was that bad - seems like it would be helpfull to someone just getting into the game, and it might encourage a few new people tohave a go, which is overall a positive thing."

It was useful and there were a few things I felt I shold be reminding myself about as well.

Bico

Interweb browsers on this board aren't really the kind of people the article is aimed at (although a few more people could take point number 5 to heart), as this messageboard (and this thread) is already heaving with people who've tried the small press scene at some point or other.  Al Ewing's shown you can manage by folding a bit of paper, drawing on it, then selling the result for ten pence.
He's also got any amount of chancers raiding his wastepaper bin for old scripts, too.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/theboy/frighteningforcepanel.jpg">