Main Menu

Judge Dredd Meg 257: Robot War

Started by Pete Wells, 02 April, 2007, 12:09:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dweezil2

It's the old, "horses for courses", argument I guess. I feel there have been far stronger strips than The Simping Detective. Lenny Zero, Cursed Earth Koburn, Missionary Man, Bendetti Vendetti and Anderson Psi to name but five.
I guess it comes down to an appreciation of dialogue like, "What's your point?", "comes after the Jack", which just leaves me cold, I'm afraid.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Funt Solo

I love how comic characters can get away with (in that case) ridiculously contrived dialogue.  I mean, he's so trying to be cool but it's also incredibly cheesy.  I don't know - I find it endearing.

In one episode of Caballistics, Hannah orders a "Jack and black, on the rocks", which I took to mean JD + coke - and that's my favourite tipple, so I thought it was real cool - and next time I was in the pub ordering my drink I go "Jack and black, on the rocks", to which the non-plussed bar-staff replied "Eh?"  So I had to just ask for a JD & coke, like normal, and was upset that the universe didn't allow me a moment of pretend cool.

What's my point?
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

lborl

>I go "Jack and black, on the rocks"

You were lucky not to get JD and Ribena then.

TordelBack

I seem to be out of step on this one, but I got great value out of that there Meg.

The only waste of space was the Small Press section, which was beyond piss poor this month - and it's usually one of my favourite items.  In saying this I hope nobody here is involved, but this is the kind of story that makes people avoid small press stuff.

As a cultural shut-in, I always enjoy the movie reviews, and the Yeowell piece was full of interesting tidbits (Jim was Robert Carlisle!) if not very well written - not a patch on the McMahon one, though.  

The Talbot piece was welcome, and as I am halfway through the monumental Alice in Sunderland, I can testify to his continung genius.  It's an incredible achievement.

Both the lead and reprint Dredds were the kind of fun 'Crazy Meg' stories I like, even if neither were spectacular.

Despite awful Grant student-speak, Anderson looked so totally awesome that Big Robots was the standout strip for me.

And so we come to Blood of Satanus III, which I have been dreading since it was first mentioned.  And I didn't hate it.  Actually, it was quite good.  Hicklenton's art looks like it's been badly photo-copied, but actually made up for that by being wonderfully OTT.  My only real gripe was the dire lettering job on the titles of the laughably-dialogued splash page and all the interior labels, which I'm assuming are Hicklenton's.  Bad 80's fanzines spring to mind.  But... fun.

Bottom line:  lots and lots of good stuff.  

TordelBack

Aw hey, forgot the fianle of Simping Detective, which I loved.  Good mystery, good resolution, nice pacing.