Main Menu

Free Comic Book Summer 2020

Started by rogue69, 18 June, 2020, 10:08:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogue69

The people behind Free Comic Book Day have announced that to help comic shops recover and help with social distancing that this year we will have Free Comic Book Summer this is scheduled to take place between July 15 and September 9. Comic shops will be receiving five or six FCBD titles along side their weekly shipments during each week of the promotional window.This will allow comic shops to choose how they decide to run their own release by either doing daily, weekly or monthly event or wait until the restrictions are completely lifted and hold one big event.
The Asterix the Gaul FCBD issue is released on 15th July and the best of 2000ad is released on 26th August

Full details and release dates : https://freecomicbookday.com/Article/243418?fbclid=IwAR3S2TcoauGbDBHxiA5Cuq2PbT8jkQ96pQo3dMNidAEpy9lZpKt4sTNAMPQ

Colin YNWA

I didn't think we were getting the Asterix one in the UK as its a promo for the upcoming new US translation that I don't think is scheduled for release here. Sure we'll be able to get it via ebay as I am curious about what the new modernised translation will be like.

Great to hear that 2000ad release has a schedule and the the overall solution seems like a smart one.

rogue69

Forbidden Planet have announced which FCBD's comics are available for what week and they will be getting the Asterix comic on the 15th July

https://forbiddenplanet.com/events/2020/07/15/free-comic-book-summer-week-one/

Richard

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Richard on 09 July, 2020, 12:50:10 AM
2000AD on 26 August.

Oh excellent - thanks for that. There was an issue of some new Kirkham comic Firepoweer (not bad) in my store this weekend when I went in to my LCS. About 30 pages of the first issue, which I think is 70 pages so I think it was essentially a preview of the comic that was also out.

But great to read some of the Asterix and I'll try to make sure I get Tharg's offering so very helpful to have the date.

CalHab

I'm a bit sceptical of FCBD, and what assistance it actually gives to shops. Don't they have to pay for the stock (to allow people to pick it up for free and then immediately flip on eBay)? If they've got to limit the numbers in the shop, then do they really want people queuing up outside just to have a £0 sale?

If I was thinking of ways to help shops, I don't think this is something that would immediately spring to mind. Good for publishers, (very) good for consumers. For shops, though?

IndigoPrime

The theory was always "once you're there, you'll buy". The reality appears to be quite different. Also, it's a crapshoot for people anyway. I have (or had—not sure, because COVID) two LCSs—one in Cove and another in Reading. The former doesn't do FCBD at all. The latter did, but when I asked if they'd get in the 2000 AD book last time there was one, I was told they'd ordered only one copy, and recommended I get there and queue very early in order to secure it. Parking in Reading is £4/hr. So I just waited until A Place in Space started selling them on its website for a quid, and used that outlet instead.

sheridan

My local FCBS required people to buy something to qualify for the free comic.  Then any comics not given away on the day got sold for £1 each.  And then somebody came on to this forum to complain that they were charging for comics on days other than free comic book day - you can't win sometimes!

Max Headroom

Will the 2000ad FCBD feature any original material?

Richard

dweezil2

Quote from: Max Headroom on 12 August, 2020, 10:52:57 AM

A new Al Ewing Dredd story has been confirmed.  :thumbsup:
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Dandontdare

Quote from: dweezil2 on 12 August, 2020, 12:00:08 PM
Quote from: Max Headroom on 12 August, 2020, 10:52:57 AM

A new Al Ewing Dredd story has been confirmed.  :thumbsup:

Well that's chuffing excellent news. I'm surprised though - I thought Marvel writers were usually tied to exclusive contracts (which is why I thought Al was Ken Niemand for so long)

IndigoPrime

Quite often, the exclusivity is selective, or 2000 AD is written into the contract as an exception. Not that Ewing seems to have much time to do anything else these days, sadly. He should ask Abnett for some advice on cloning.

Rately

Be nice to see some new Dredd from Al Ewing.

Is Erica Henderson drawing the strip? Sorry, couldn't find a listing!

Rately