Main Menu

Thrillpowered Thursday

Started by Grant Goggans, 05 April, 2007, 08:12:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

Grud on a greenie!

http://pics.livejournal.com/hipsterdad/pic/001eqpet.jpg" />

I had absolutely no idea that had ever happened - that's fucking atrocious!
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

davidbishop

Thrillpowered Thursday is one long blast from the past for me, at present. Interesting to see that period from an outside point of view, with the added perspective of time having passed.

One point I should make about A Life Less Ordinary - the reason why Steve Yeowell's characters bear little resemblance to the photos of Ewan McGregor, Cameron Diaz, et al. Steve wasn't allowed to likenesses of the actors, as they hadn't signed over their image rights for that purpose.

Instead Steve found himself drawing what's known as a non-likeness likeness: characters that look vaguely like real people, but not enough to be legally actionable. [Ron Smith and Carlos Ezquerra found themselves in same invidious position while doing their Dredd movie adaptations.]

Plus the need to get approvals created a mental schedule whereby Steve had to pencil and ink four pages a week, instead of a more comfortable three. I felt he did an amazing job under incredibly difficult and trying circumstances.

The less said about my scripts adapting the screenplay, the better...

davidbishop

Funt Solo

That must've been a bit of a kick in the knackers, though - getting the adaptation of the next big thing from the makers of the Trainspotting phenomenon, and then it being utter pish.

I don't know what today's equivalent would be - adapting Run, Fat Boy, Run on the strength of Shaun of the Dead, I suppose.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Floyd-the-k

the equivalent would be doing an adaption of Snatch on the strength of Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels AND not being allowed to draw any of the casts faces properly and not having enough time to do it and using Steve Yeowell, who is a genius for some things (such as Red Seas and Zenith) but rotten for others (ie he's done some very bland Dredd stories)

the job might have been amazing from the poor artist's point of view, but was certainly not much chop.  As for the script, I haven't seen the movie. Is it as bad as the adaption suggests?

Floyd-the-k

that Durham Red lady seems like a nice person.

by the way, how is it that the prog was allowed to use photographs of Diaz and MacGregor but not allowed to draw them? Some legal distinction I guess. Would it have cost that much extra?

satchmo

Yes. :)

To be fair I've seen worse, but it's an example of that semi-indie mainstream slop that dominated the 90s.

Noisybast

"Ron Smith and Carlos Ezquerra found themselves in same invidious position while doing their Dredd movie adaptations."

Ron Smith did a Dredd movie adaptation?
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

Funt Solo

I have one of those in a (new, £0.49 from Ikea) box at home - I must check to see who the art is by.

I don't think I've ever read it - I must have bought it out of either loyalty or the mistaken belief that the movie wouldn't be a travesty.

And before anyone says anything - the shots of the city at the beginning don't make up for it, unless 50p in a barrel of turds is worth it.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

worldshown

Ron Smith did a Dredd movie adaptation?

For the News of the World Sunday magazine if I remember rightly.

Grant Goggans

Well, I'll be.

I will add a footnote clarifying that point.  Thanks very much, Bish-OP!  Please let me know if I make any other howlers!

davidbishop

TordelBack

the equivalent would be doing an adaption of Snatch

Hey!  Snatch is an underrated work of genius!  Brad Pitt's greatest role, and some of the best accents in movie history.

Floyd-the-k

Hey! Snatch is an underrated work of genius! Brad Pitt's greatest role, and some of the best accents in movie history
  Sorry about that. It would be perhaps like doing an adaption of Godfather III on the strength of I and II.  I was looking for an example.

so, what A Life Less Ordinary, the movie, better than or worse than the comic adaption?

Grant Goggans

I remember liking the movie, but the funniest scene is this hilarious karaoke bar sequence, which, erm, isn't in the comic.

Grant Goggans

I haven't hyped the ol' blog lately, so I reckon everybody should know that Thrillpowered Thursday reached its 75th entry today, with talk of Preacher, Rebellion, Colin Wilson and Daily Star Dredds.  Plus another appeal to see nine missing Megs wing their way to me soon.  And scroll down for Devlin Waugh, graphic novel reviews, Eurocrash and more!

Get a-readin'!