Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrRocka

Despite the lack of info on the spines rubbing my OCD bone the wrong way, the sheer handsomeness of the first volume persuaded me to sign up for more. Rather than subscribe and get free gifts (I've enough junk cluttering up me domicile, tank ya very mooch), I've got my local comic shop thrill - merchant to order me a copy. Which is lovely, because he's been looking for a way into 2000ad for years (despite me giving him a lengthy chat once a week when I pick up my prog, and pointing out all the jumping on isssues). 
So yeah, here's Halo Jones, the book looks gorgeous, and it was wonderful to revisit it again. Top collection, cheers Tharg.
Never ever bloody anything ever

oddballuk

Private message on Facebook informs me that Robo-Hunter will be 3 volumes.

No Millar run (thankfully) collected or the Samantha Slade spin-off.

IndigoPrime

On that basis, 75 books are now known. So the only questions are, of the remaining five, what's the split between Kingdom, Stickleback and Zombo? (And is Durham Red part of the Strontium Dog ten or not?)

Tomwe

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 14 September, 2017, 02:47:38 PM
Of the remaining five what's the split between Kingdom, Stickleback and Zombo? (And is Durham Red part of the Strontium Dog ten or not?)
Pretty sure Stickleback was a single volume in FB replies.

Jamie1000013

I'm already getting the Mega collection so I think I'll just buy volumes off of Hachette's site tbh. I really really want the sketch book you get free on the 9th delivery though, hopefully someone Ebay's it >.<. I've already picked up the first 2 volumes at my local store not sure how long they will put them out for maybe up to issue 10 or so, the Mega collection didn't last too long in stores for me.

I think I will pick up:

Sinister Dexter all volumes (Only read new stuff prog 1900 plus)
Rogue Trooper (never read)
Strontium dog (All volumes, read little bits)
Kingdom
Shakara (Never read)
Nemesis the Warlock (Never read)
Durnham Red (Never Read)

Probably dodging:

Slaine
Stickleback
Zombo (Read them all)
Nikolai Dantae (Not my thing, tried didn't like)

Anyone recommend me any to look out for?

Will there be any ULYSSES SWEET? For some reason I really enjoyed that strip that started in prog 1912

karlos

Quote from: oddballuk on 14 September, 2017, 01:52:46 PM
Private message on Facebook informs me that Robo-Hunter will be 3 volumes.

No Millar run (thankfully) collected or the Samantha Slade spin-off.

So, that should collect all the classic Sam Slade stuff - but is there also room in those 3 volumes for the later Hogan/Hughes run?

As I've never read the Samantha Slade stuff, would you guys recommend it?  And why did it seem to finish so abruptly?

IndigoPrime

Zero chance for Ulysses Sweet. By the looks of it, Kingdom might only be one book, too. I hope not.

Robo-Hunter: the two existing books clock in at about 770 pages. That puts them beyond the Hachette page count for three books. My guess: it'll be the classic Slade run, omitting some or all of Hogan/Hughes. Samantha Slade was... OK. It finished abruptly because Ian Gibson decided he didn't want to illustrate it any more, and I assume Alan Grant then lost interest in writing further series.

karlos

Tomwe

Advert in 2049 for Shakara "on sale now", continues to suggest the three weeks Issue 1 spent on the stands was not originally planned.

Arkady

Weren't some pages of Halo Jones originally in colour? If so how come that's not reproduced here?

Steve Green

Because they don't always reproduce colour spreads.

Mattofthespurs

Christ, Hachette don't make things easy for the subscriber, do they.
I subbed to the trial and when that finished I was told I would get the first four issues of the re-launch for free. Fair enough. When it did re-start I upgraded to premium and was then promptly charged for the first two issues.
I sent them an email and contacted them on FB three weeks ago, but to no avail. So one, difficult to understand, telephone conversation later I have been told that the first three issues will now be free and the lady said she would clear my account down so it read a nil balance. I did explain that I should be paying £4.50 (3x £1.50 for the premium) which I was happy to pay but she declined it and said I did not have to pay it.
Can't say I'm overly confident that everything has been sorted and a bit miffed that I'm going to be charged for the fourth volume but having been on the telephone for 12 minutes and having a time delay in the conversation that meant we kept talking over each other I'm going to let the fourth free issue slide. It's worth a tenner just to get out of that call with my sanity still intact.

moldovangerbil

I'm really enjoying the collection, but the prospect of having to call the hachette 'helpline' (surely an ironic title?) reduces me to a sobbing, blubbery mess.  I have no issue with an overseas helpline, but surely there has to be a basic level of competency insisted on?  It's monumentally painful having to deal with them when things go wrong.

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: moldovangerbil on 18 September, 2017, 01:19:01 PM
I'm really enjoying the collection, but the prospect of having to call the hachette 'helpline' (surely an ironic title?) reduces me to a sobbing, blubbery mess.  I have no issue with an overseas helpline, but surely there has to be a basic level of competency insisted on?  It's monumentally painful having to deal with them when things go wrong.

I don't mind the 'help' line being overseas if they pay for a decent line. I can barely hear them and the delay is infuriating.

moldovangerbil

Anyone had the 3rd and 4th books yet?  I've just noticed a £9.99 charge on my account (which I assume is the fourth book) but I've not had the books yet.  I've never been charged for the JD Mega Collection books before receiving them so wondered if anyone else had come across this?