Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 21 November, 2017, 02:14:20 PM
Well, here's what everyone is going to want to know about Strontium Dog vol 1 - there are [spoiler]no[/spoiler] colour centre spreads. Otherwise, though, it's the usual bang-up excellent repro job. Some of the strips look loads better than in my phonebooks.
So is it greyscale or black and white?

Dark Jimbo

@jamesfeistdraws

Magnetica

You are right that is what I wanted to know. I don't actually own Journey to Hell, but I have read it in the SD Files I borrowed from the library.

To me it's one of the weakest Strontium Dog stories, so no colour spreads means no purchase for me I'm afraid.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Magnetica on 21 November, 2017, 05:47:11 PM
I don't actually own Journey to Hell, but I have read it in the SD Files I borrowed from the library.

To me it's one of the weakest Strontium Dog stories, so no colour spreads means no purchase for me I'm afraid.

Yeah, it's not a great one. Rambles on and on with no real sense of coherent plot, and Ezquerra's art mostly looks quite rushed.
@jamesfeistdraws

Greg M.

Journey to Hell is great, you philistines!  ;) Carlos's double-page spreads are absolutely glorious - I've said this many times, but it's easy to forget just how good he is at evoking a nightmarish ambience in his stories. Give him the chance to draw some zombies or skellingtons, and the man's in his infernal element - to wit, the 'Desert of the Living Dead' spread, which is as evocative as it gets.

Not having the spreads in colour is indeed a huge disincentive to purchase, however.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Greg M. on 21 November, 2017, 08:55:07 PM
Journey to Hell is great, you philistines!  ;) Carlos's double-page spreads are absolutely glorious - I've said this many times, but it's easy to forget just how good he is at evoking a nightmarish ambience in his stories. Give him the chance to draw some zombies or skellingtons, and the man's in his infernal element - to wit, the 'Desert of the Living Dead' spread, which is as evocative as it gets.

Yep this... kinda... Journey to Hell is good, very good, but its not Portrait of a Mutant or Rage good but its damned good....

Is it Dante next? If so better start thinking about where I'm going to pick that up...

marko10174

Anyone really looking forward to getting the first figurine? I think we'll get the Nemesis figure in Jan/Feb? I would imagine the figurines will become real collectors items, especially the later ones like Dante and Dredd.

Tjm86

I've always felt, personally, that Journey to Hell was a bit of a mixed bag.  Artistically to me it is classic Ezquerra and that may well be why I've always had a soft spot for it.  His vision of hell jibes incredibly well with Dante and that was probably the inspiration.  About as close as I think we will ever get to an illustrated version of that work.  Storywise though, it suffers a little toward the end. 

It seems part of a different generation of Stront story.  The early stuff wore it's Western roots on its sleeve quite openly.  Post Portrait there always seemed a more political edge to it and the discrimination side came to the fore.  The pre rebirth stories seemed a little lost at times, or perhaps 'experimental' is a better word, grasping for a renewed vision.  The current post rebirth stories seem to show a harsher, more cynical edge to Johnny.  He seems to have lost a little of the compassion he had in the early stories (e.g. the Moses Job).  There was always a steel to him but now there seems to be little else.

Magnetica

Not having the spreads in colour is indeed a huge disincentive to purchase, however.

Ok so if they gave it the Mek Files treatment (but without cropping the art to remove the next Prog boxes) then I would consider it.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Magnetica on 22 November, 2017, 09:33:05 AM

Ok so if they gave it the Mek Files treatment (but without cropping the art to remove the next Prog boxes) then I would consider it.

Hopefully (because the repro heavy lifting has already been done for Mek Files 1) the first ABC Warriors book will have colour spreads.
@jamesfeistdraws

DrRocka

Anyone else found that the quality has dipped significantly with this one? Not the stories, they're as great as they ever were, but mine seems to be poorly reproduced - too white and scratchy on a lot of pages in the first story, too dark on some later pages. I get mine from my local comic shop who orders it in for me and I doubt that it's bad enough to return it, but it is annoying. Enough to say that I wouldn't have bought any more if the first had been like this.
Never ever bloody anything ever

Tjm86

Is it just the early B&W stuff?  This was a problem with the mega collection as well.  The recent colour stuff was fine but some of the early strips were dire at times.  Blacked out blocks of images, loss of detail, not good at times.

karlos

Yes, the repro. in SD vol. 1 is up and down, but I really do think that is due to the original materials they are working with.

Could Rebellion have done some remastering?  Maybe, I don't know, but otherwise, it's a lovely book in general.

(Although the completist in me wanted the Starlord stories including, of course!)

Jade Falcon

Okay, I enjoyed most of that.  Journey to Hell did waver a bit and drag on and the 'Space Trucker' dialogue was a bit grating but a sign of the times.  Hell, my brother had a CB and I remember watching far too many movies like Convoy. :)

The Schikelgruber Job story was silly, but in a good way of course.  Him offering Stix a job was funny, if anything I thought he would offer a position to Wulf since he certainly would fit Der Fuhrers Aryan stereotype in terms of appearance. :)
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

jannerboyuk

Quote from: Tjm86 on 22 November, 2017, 07:59:44 AM
His vision of hell jibes incredibly well with Dante and that was probably the inspiration.  About as close as I think we will ever get to an illustrated version of that work.
Err https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dantes-Inferno-Graphic-Joseph-Lanzara/dp/0963962116/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1511565605&sr=8-1&keywords=dante%27s+inferno+graphic+novel