Main Menu

Forthcoming Thrills 2017

Started by Dash Decent, 23 August, 2016, 01:24:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

positronic

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 04 June, 2017, 12:40:56 PM
I think its the Dredd in this Prog your thinking of

http://www.2000ad.org/?zone=prog&page=profiles&choice=1390

If that's right all hail Barney, if not all hell to me.

That WAS the one. I blinked and missed it at first when the cover threw me off. I felt sure the Dredd story would be on the cover of that issue. In fact none of the 3 H.G. Sewell/Dredd stories was featured on a cover, which disappoints me a little.

positronic

Quote from: Jacqusie on 04 June, 2017, 10:47:38 PM

I really enjoyed the Time Traveller / Dredd mash up stories, not least that Edginton and Dizzy work really well together in a marvellous synergy.

I did feel sorry for old Sewell (Wells) though as time after time (ahem) his escape plans were thwarted by mean old Dreddy. I loved his facial expressions each time Dredd put the boot into a new futuristic version.

Maybe one day we shall see the return of him and he will get his opportunity to beat the system and tell Dredd tempus fugit...

...but then there's more chance we will see the resumption of Stickleback/ Holmes malarky than that happening ey?

:)

Stickleback looks REALLY interesting and I can't believe that's all there is to the character, simply a sockpuppet for Holmes. If Stickleback were to (be allowed to) return, then a revelation that all is not as it appeared would be prerequisite... otherwise, it's just a Holmes story in mufti. What if "Holmes" turned out to be Sewell? Or one of them, anyway...

I checked out D'Israeli's art on the link to his blog you provided, and it looks really different in Stickleback, compared to Scarlet Traces. It almost looks a little influenced by artists like Richard Sala and Peter Kuper (which is a very good thing).

I guess the real question would be whether the apparent reveal/ending of the series has poisoned the well as far as the potential audience is concerned.

positronic

I just read MISTY Vol. 1, "Moonchild" and "The Four Faces of Eve". Moonchild was good but it seems to me the art suffered by reduction in size (and, I'm just guessing here, but I suspect some of the fine detail has dropped out). The artwork in Four Faces of Eve fared much better in translation. I enjoyed both stories.

The little biographical sections at the back got me very curious to see Misty (pictured on the cover of the trade, but not inside except for a couple of small spot illo's). I had no idea she was an actual character with a strip of her own, although I guess I would have suspected she might be the comic's host, making some brief appearances, not unlike Tharg in 2000AD. I mention this as a way of leading up to asking what the contents of MISTY Vol. 2 might be (obviously I'm hoping to see some actual stories with Misty, as I'm very curious about the character now). Anyone know?

RaggedMan

I've read a good chunk of Misty over the last few years and I don't recall Misty appearing in a strip beyond the art poem introductions and some introductions for specific strips - like a Tharg's Future Shock. I may be wrong though.

Volume 2 will contain The Sentinels which personally I love. Twin tower blocks dominate a ruined post-industrial landscape. People start to go missing.
Every review then spoils it but I'll refrain here.
It is a good dark story though. ]
I'm not sure what the other strip collected will be.

positronic

I think I was misled by the phrasing of the biographical text about Shirley Bellwood... something to the effect that she'd "illustrated every appearance of Misty in the comic" (not an exact quote as I haven't got the book right in front of me), which led me to believe Misty had appeared in actual stories. I was very disappointed to find that pages like the one I posted above, some few poster giveaways (as used on the cover of Vol. 1), several covers and small pictures used on the letters pages are all there were. Still, it would be nice to see an extensive gallery of those intro pages, covers, and posters of Misty as drawn by Shirley Bellwood, whose work really impressed me.

The merest hints about the character Misty imply that she's somewhat of a more girl-friendly version of Warren Publishing's Vampirella (although the precise nature of Misty's being remains a mystery), and Shirley Bellwood's illustrations would certainly have made her a worthy contender by comparison to Warren's star Vampi artists like Jose Gonzales or Enrique Torres, so it's a shame Misty never got any actual stories, even if they'd been only illustrated text short stories such as many comics carried in past decades.

positronic

There is a great blog showing 14 of those original Shirley Bellwood-illustrated Misty covers here:

Huey2

"I guess the real question would be whether the apparent reveal/ending of the series has poisoned the well as far as the potential audience is concerned."

I think the delay in following it up has robbed the tale of some of the momentum. Those seven days which followed the reveal of the Dead Man's identity dragged. If I'd had to wait three years for the next episode anything that followed could only have been anticlimactic.

TordelBack

My only problem with the Stickleback reveal is that it was done at a time of Peak Sherlock, so it was a bit... obvious.  The bigger issue for the strip is that it has essentially been recast as a ground-level follow-on to War of the Worlds, and the Edgy/Dizzy gestalt entity has done/are doing elements of that already with Scarlet Traces and maybe Helium... throw in Ampney Crucis' (and Jack Dancer's) occult interdimensional shenanigans (never mind LoEG) and the ground seems quite (very) crowded. 

Richard

If they'd followed it up the very next week it would still have been crap, because it was a fundamentally bad idea.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Woolly on 04 June, 2017, 11:36:42 AM
Quote from: Richard on 04 June, 2017, 10:51:31 AM
Until it was revealed that Stickleback was actually Sherlock bloody Holmes all along, which made him a much less interesting character. Man whose spine is actually outside his body = interesting. Man who reveals he was only wearing a fake spine and is actually someone from a non-2000 AD franchise = boring.

Can honestly say ive lost all interest in Stickleback due to the reveal.

The Holmes reveal per se didn't bother me (I thought from the start he was a Holmesian character, although I was guessing Moriarty); if he'd suffered some horrific accident/amnesia/transformation/etc there still would have been plenty of stories begging to be told. It was the fact he literally steps out of a body suit and there's Holmes in his tweed and spats - 'Right-o, let's save the world.'
@jamesfeistdraws

The Enigmatic Dr X

The Holmes reveal... was so "meh" that I'd forgotten all about until now!
Lock up your spoons!

13school

Newsarama has the September 2000AD / Megazine solicitations up: https://www.newsarama.com/34779-2000-ad-september-2017-solicitations.html

Indigo Prime back in Prog 2050!

moly

Yeah devlin Waugh is back in the Meg

hippynumber1

Quote from: moly on 10 June, 2017, 09:42:00 AM
Yeah devlin Waugh is back in the Meg

But not written by John Smith?  :'(

CalHab

Nice to see Dan Cornwell in the prog after the excellent Rok of the Reds. Also happy to see Hope return. I was a bit worried that it was going to remain incomplete.