Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

Hachette has, to my mind, at least been very good about replacements. Major design blunders were mostly rectified by new print runs. (Those spines, eh?) Poor condition on arrival was the same, notably during bigbaggate. The Facebook lot have broadly been solid on that.

Tomwe

Quote from: Tomontherun94 on 07 October, 2021, 02:10:02 PM
Yeah that's true. When they did mess up, it could be a nightmare to get replacements. Haven't got the Legend Of Batman series but the general DC series is riddled with errors. Nothing significant with the strips themselves (except for some reason JLA Year One had some background text in german) but little annoying things like the book contents on the back being wrong, incorrect publication dates. Nothing worth getting a replacement for but still makes it all feel cheaper
There's one page in the LOB edition of Knightfall that is garbled. I have tried on multiple occasions to get Eaglemoss to fix it but no luck. About five copies have been sent my way and all the same.

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

the eaglemoss star trek graphic novel collection was so good. suddenly switching from fortnightly to weekly wasn't really acceptable, though. and falling just a few volumes short of publishing *everything* seems to have been as frustrating to the editors as it was to the collectors. the complete gold key reprint was an absolute treat, however.
my only real gripe with hachette is the much-mentioned failure to let us know what's coming up soon ...

IndigoPrime

I suppose it depends whether it's in their interest to inform us.

Link Prime

Quote from: Tomwe on 07 October, 2021, 04:33:53 PM
There's one page in the LOB edition of Knightfall that is garbled. I have tried on multiple occasions to get Eaglemoss to fix it but no luck. About five copies have been sent my way and all the same.

Hopefully not the page where Bane breaks Brucies back.

Tjm86

Quote from: The Mind of Wolfie Smith on 07 October, 2021, 04:39:32 PM
the eaglemoss star trek graphic novel collection was so good. ... the complete gold key reprint was an absolute treat, however.

I looked at the Star Trek collection.  You're right, it's fairly complete, covering the old Gold Key, Marvel, DC and TV21 stuff. 

I didn't think the Gold Key stuff was complete though.  IIRC even what was originally planned was quite a few issues short. 

IDW's reprints didn't quite cover the whole run either.  Nice editions though, although some daft prices now being asked.

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 07 October, 2021, 05:07:41 PM

surely fomenting reader/collector excitement would be in a publisher's interests? *especially* in the comics world (the addiction to previews and other basically trade rags for example)?

I, Cosh

Quote from: The Mind of Wolfie Smith on 07 October, 2021, 07:05:45 PM
Quote from: IndigoPrime on 07 October, 2021, 05:07:41 PM

surely fomenting reader/collector excitement would be in a publisher's interests? *especially* in the comics world (the addiction to previews and other basically trade rags for example)?
More chat and speculation generated by not telling you everything.
We never really die.

abelardsnazz

As Armoured Gideon appears in The Order, surely it's a must for his own stories to be in the second extension?

Jade Falcon

I'm still not thrilled that we have no idea on forthcoming issues, this might be a tactic that will backfire on Hachette as people getting short on space might not be willing to gamble on getting something they might like.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

IndigoPrime

It's also worth noting that you need to provide 28 days' notice to cancel your subscription—although when I complained about something once on Facebook, my subscription was instantly stopped. So who knows?

sintec

So far you've always been able to see the next 3-4 books on the Hachette website so I guess you've always got roughly 28 days notice of what's coming next

IndigoPrime

Really enjoying The Red Seas. It reads so much better in collected form and has far more momentum. It just zips along. A pity it never took when Rebellion had a go itself in print, although that original HC format was... ambitious—you'd have needed 12 volumes in all!

Anyway, good call there by Matt Smith to put this in the extension.

Max Headroom

I must agree with Indigo - 'The Red Seas' really was excellent. Ian Edginton is a most accomplished scribe.

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

really happy to have cherry-picked some complete runs - abc, dante, slaine, brink - and to have missed out some more tedious 'thrills'. hoping for extension editions of blackhawk and disaster (the former has my favourite ever comics art, the latter is the best kind of super serious nonsense from that era).