Main Menu

RIPs

Started by Quirkafleeg, 27 February, 2006, 03:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmallBlueThing

Chas Balun- artist, writer, critic, journalist, famous for his GORE SCORE, MORE GORE SCORE and Horror Holocaust books. A seminal voice of my youth. Dies of some form of cancer on December 18th, aged 61.

SBT

O Lucky Stevie!

Quote from: The Cosh on 31 December, 2009, 09:07:50 AM
That's sad. I didn't even know he was ill.

I'm not surprised Cosh, he kept it pretty much under his hat & didn't announce anything until very recently. Like a month or two ago.

So very much like Rowland from my experience of meeting this softly spoken man. My abiding memory shall be of espying Rowland through an open doorway, tuning up before going head to head with the Drivel Brothers.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Batman's Superior Cousin

Tsutomu Yamaguchi (died 4 January 2010) -  Survived both the Hiroshima and Nagasaki atomic bombings
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

TordelBack

Quote from: Batman's Superior Cousin on 07 January, 2010, 12:31:28 PM
Survived both the Hiroshima and Nagasaki atomic bombings

Does that count as good luck or bad luck? 

More seriously, hard to imagine what he must have witnessed.

Dunk!

If i ever think I've had a bad week I'm gonna think about this guy.
"Trust we"

Batman's Superior Cousin

Quote from: TordelBack on 07 January, 2010, 12:34:51 PM
Quote from: Batman's Superior Cousin on 07 January, 2010, 12:31:28 PM
Survived both the Hiroshima and Nagasaki atomic bombings

Does that count as good luck or bad luck? 

More seriously, hard to imagine what he must have witnessed.

From Wikipedia: Speaking about the recognition Yamaguchi said; "My double radiation exposure is now an official government record. It can tell the younger generation the horrifying history of the atomic bombings even after I die."

Looks like they'll be doing some tests on his corpse to see what side effects he would have had.

Quote from: Dunk! on 07 January, 2010, 12:37:20 PM
If i ever think I've had a bad week I'm gonna think about this guy.

From Wikipedia: In 2009 Yamaguchi learned that he was dying of stomach cancer, which may have been brought on by the bombings.

Looks like the cancer was one of the side effects.
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

Batman's Superior Cousin

Miep Gies (11th January 2010) - Woman who saved Anne Frank's dairy without EVER reading it died from a short illness caused by a fall, aged 100.
Texts from Last Night

wild-seven

Quote from: Batman's Superior Cousin on 12 January, 2010, 06:19:39 PM
Miep Gies (11th January 2010) - Woman who saved Anne Frank's dairy without EVER reading it died from a short illness caused by a fall, aged 100.

She was an amazing woman RIP
I was going to procrastinate but I think I'll leave it till tomorrow

Daveycandlish

Another inspiring person who died recently; Kim Peake - the autistic savant who was the inspiration for Rain Man. Heart attack at 59
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Christov

Considering Yamaguchi was nuked twice, he lived to a bloody ripe old age.

JOE SOAP

Nukes build character.

Christov

That's what my old dad used to say.

Crazy bastard.

Buddy

Quote from: Daveycandlish on 12 January, 2010, 08:41:10 PM
Another inspiring person who died recently; Kim Peake - the autistic savant who was the inspiration for Rain Man. Heart attack at 59

Oh wow... shocked by that, sorry to hear it.

As the father of an autistic boy i tend to pick up on autistic news and events but this has passed me by.

Sad.

Dandontdare

Teddy Pendergrass, aged just 59

Peter Wolf

Just a thought for the thousands of earthquake victims in Haiti.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death