Main Menu

2000ad suspected IP infringement thread

Started by The Enigmatic Dr X, 06 August, 2010, 12:48:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fungus

Quote from: Tjm86 on 16 January, 2015, 04:54:05 PM
just noticed this little item ...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2000AD-DIGITAL-COMIC-COLLECTION-/171637990811?pt=UK_Books_comics_Magazines_UK_Comics_ET&hash=item27f66be59b

Which poses questions....

Why no screenshots? What quality are we talking?

You are asked to 'bid' on this? Will the next buyer pay more/less when the next batch is burned?

The future makes my head hurt.

shaolin_monkey

Spaceghost

Someone on the 'Brit-Cit Judges' Facebook group is promoting the sale of a 1:3 movie Dredd statue (2ft tall apparently) once they collect a 'bulk order'.

Pretty sure it's not licensed.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Jim_Campbell

For people who supposedly love the comic, there seem to be an awful lot of them prepared to either buy, supply, or even produce bootleg product, which is directly harmful to that comic. The cognitive dissonance is just breathtaking.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Spaceghost

And I've just been attacked, personally insulted and ultimately banned from the group for asking perfectly legitimate questions about it.

What a bunch of massive cunts.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Spaceghost on 06 February, 2015, 09:11:59 AM
And I've just been attacked, personally insulted and ultimately banned from the group for asking perfectly legitimate questions about it.

As I say: cognitive dissonance. Some people get surprisingly pissy when confronted with their own massive hypocrisy, but I'm sorry to hear it turned so unpleasant for you. That shit is never fun.

Cheers

Jim

Richmond Clements

It's okay to buy knock-off stuff if you get someone to do it for you, apparently.

Steve Green

Yeah, even Carlos himself posting to say they get no money from that figure was waved away by one, more interested in the definition of it not being a bootleg in China.

I've given up pointing this out to them - especially when they get very irritated by someone else ripping off anything they themselves make.

I can see an argument for turning a blind eye where movie costumes were made up to a point - that seemed to be making the best out of a bad situation with regards to the movie license.

Having movie judges wandering around cons, be available for promo was arguably useful for Rebellion (Microsoft used some of those unlicensed judges for promo at Eurogame for Dredd vs Zombies)

Unfortunately it looks like people just take advantage of this, and make whatever arguments to justify making it, or buying it.

It usually boils down to 'Rebellion are crushing out creativity! Why aren't they like billion dollar industries like Star Wars who can take a hit of this stuff being made?'

or

'They've sold load of these unlicensed figures, that proves there is a market - and in no way would any potential licensee question that it a) might be flooded, and b) why should they try to compete with a bootleg that doesn't have to pay licensing fees or bother with any of that shit'

Spaceghost

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 06 February, 2015, 09:15:05 AM
Quote from: Spaceghost on 06 February, 2015, 09:11:59 AM

As I say: cognitive dissonance. Some people get surprisingly pissy when confronted with their own massive hypocrisy, but I'm sorry to hear it turned so unpleasant for you. That shit is never fun.

Cheers

Jim

Cheers Jim.

No, it's not nice. Although, after being rounded on and abused by a load of unreasonable men in Judge uniforms, I've got more of an idea of what it must be like to live in Mega City One.

Hawkmumbler

Yeah, I saw that. Disgusting. I've now left the geoup myself.

Judge Mental

But when someone on here has the art figure that's ok?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Judge Mental on 06 February, 2015, 10:13:07 AM

Not sure what figure you're referring to, but in my mind it's pretty straightforward: licensed product = OK; not licensed product = not OK.

Cheers

Jim

Judge Mental

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 06 February, 2015, 10:14:56 AM
Quote from: Judge Mental on 06 February, 2015, 10:13:07 AM

Not sure what figure you're referring to, but in my mind it's pretty straightforward: licensed product = OK; not licensed product = not OK.

Cheers

Jim

I have seen a picture with a member here with the Art figure someone who actually post that is wrong for anyone to buy knock offs

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Judge Mental on 06 February, 2015, 10:18:43 AM
I have seen a picture with a member here with the Art figure someone who actually post that is wrong for anyone to buy knock offs

Sorry, I'm struggling to work out what you're trying to say here, or what you're referring to when you say "Art figure".

I think my position on this is pretty clear: if it's licensed, great; if it's not then I don't care how good the product is, it's not OK to buy it. If other people can square such a purchase with their conscience, well, that's up to them but if they then choose to denounce other people for doing the same then they deserve to be called out for being massive fucking hypocrites.

Jim