Main Menu

2000ad suspected IP infringement thread

Started by The Enigmatic Dr X, 06 August, 2010, 12:48:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Link Prime

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 06 February, 2015, 12:02:57 PM
It would help if we knew who you're talking about.

It's obviously Mike Molcher.

Jim_Campbell

Yeah. Sorry, we're not mind readers. I'm not aware of someone taking a strong anti-bootlegging stance on here and being pictured with knock-off merchandise here (or anywhere else). We're a diverse lot with different interests (apart from the Galaxy's Greatest, obviously) and we aren't all Facebook friends, we don't all follow each other on Twitter and only a small number have slept with other forum members.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Molch-R

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 06 February, 2015, 12:07:18 PM
only a small number have slept with other forum members.

You promised you wouldn't tell :(

Dandontdare

dancornwell

Feel as guilty as sin now. I have bought one and to be honest I wasn't really thinking about the licensing at the time. It was cheap and I just wanted it. But I totally understand that it's taking money from the Galaxy's greatest and now I feel..... well just wrong. I won't be binning it but I won't be buying boot leg stuff again. Next time I'll do a little reserch before hand. Apologies if this has got people's backs up and I just hope this hasn't harmed any chance I had to work with Tharg at some point.

Spaceghost

As Jim said earlier on, I think we can all see how you might be tempted to buy it, it's a great looking figure. I don't think anybody wants to carry out a witch hunt on here. I wouldn't buy unlicensed products personally, but it's not going to make me despise anyone.

Much worse is that the Brit-Cit Judges have a pretty big following on Facebook, and one of the members is actively promoting and soliciting orders for an unofficial, unlicensed product.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

dancornwell

Oh I wouldnt and didn't advertise the seller. Like I said, I saw it, and bought it. Only after the event did I realise it wasn't Legit. Although when the box says Artistic interprition it should've been a giveaway. You live and learn.

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Zenith 666

Ha ha burn em burn em all.Surely scratch building is allowed as long as it's not for profit.

dancornwell

Steve Green

I'm guessing that with the sequel dead, it will be less of a problem (on the movie front) anyway.

Although there is the problem of 3D models being uploaded to the net, which anyone can print off (or make moulds of) to sell on.

PR had to deal with someone copying their version of the MK2 and uploading that - even though the initial person was asking for no money, it still has a financial impact on licensed products and Rebellion, and the creators who get a cut.

dancornwell

My Mrs recently bought me a Dredd movie helmet made by Mad-law, don't know what catagery that comes under. Not recieved it yet. If it's bootleg again I'm not going to be very popular on here!

Steve Green

That would be an ecumenical matter recast.

The way it usually goes is, people will either make an unofficial prop, or buy screen used props when they're auctioned, and make a mould.

They will then sell these unlicensed props.

Some people, recasters, will make a copy of that and sell those.

This is frowned upon in the prop-making community, despite the original being unlicensed as well, and often leads to handbags.

Colin Zeal

My girlfriend recently bought me a Judge Dredd t-shirt. The first thought that ran through my mind was "I bet this isn't a Rebellion product." Luckily I managed to say thanks without mentioning this.

Viking Justice

I don't agree with the figure, and won't buy it. Although I have to confess to owning one or two "one offs", which are unique and were either commission, or I came across and bought for my collection for their quality and their unique nature. The prototype Lawgiver Mark 1, built for Termight Replicas, but never taken up or produced, for instance.  I don't own many of these things, and would rather see them preserved than junked.

To return to this figure, it's not alone as an IP infringement, nor is BritCit Judges unique, as a group, in "promoting" such things (as a group, we don't, however we do allow our members a certain freedom of speech). So why this directed attack on BritCit? Other UK Judge groups produce teeshirts with Judge images, or references, or items with similar reference or imagery that is directly Dredd-related. I've raised this point previously, and yet a complete blind eye is turned to it, simply because most of these are produce through RedBubble. Maybe the maker of this statue should do the same, and no one here would mind? Or is it the BritCit connection that has some - not all - panties in a twist? It sometimes seems that way.

And as for labelling us all (all 1,302 of us) a shower of "cunts", well, there are no words.

It seems when it comes to IP and Dredd, the members here (the "true fans" according to Space Ghost - Jesus, you've acceded to the radicalisation of Dredd, a bloody comic book character - we must all be infidels and non-believers, I guess, and therefore beneath you? Tsk) pick and choose their gripes. M

Jim, I have nothing but respect for you and your views. Same for a few others. But some of you self-styled "elite" need to take a look at yourselves and those you associate with before throwing stones and epithets.