Main Menu

2000ad suspected IP infringement thread

Started by The Enigmatic Dr X, 06 August, 2010, 12:48:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spaceghost

Quote from: Viking Justice on 06 February, 2015, 03:05:30 PM
(the "true fans" according to Space Ghost - Jesus, you've acceded to the radicalisation of Dredd, a bloody comic book character - we must all be infidels and non-believers, I guess, and therefore beneath you? Tsk)

Absolutely, wilfully ridiculous.

I clarified what I meant by that statement before I was banished to the fucking Phantom Zone and whitewashed out of history on Facebook.

If you are a TRUE FAN, you won't HARM the comic and creators by buying unofficial, unlicensed product.

If you do this, you do not, in my opinion, fall into the definition of a true fan.

And as for calling everyone in the group cunts, I was only refering to everyone who had any direct interaction with me, all of whom were cunts.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Molch-R

This thread will calm down right now and the slinging about of insults will stop.

Spaceghost

Apologies Mike.

I'm still feeling a bit angry about the nasty insults and unwarranted bile directed at me over on the Facebook group.

I should have called them a bunch of grexnix's.

Viking Justice

One of the reasons you were banned was, I understand, your use of foul language, and that particular insult, of which you seem so fond.

I have insulted no one, I have asked what I believe to be relevant questions, which have been somewhat lost in the red mist of response.

As I said, I respect most of the people who post here.

Richmond Clements

QuoteJim, I have nothing but respect for you and your views. Same for a few others. But some of you self-styled "elite" need to take a look at yourselves and those you associate with before throwing stones and epithets.   

Silly 'self styled elite remark aside, it's worth pointing out that posting on the same board as someone is not the same as associating with them.

Spaceghost

I may have resorted to using that word after the barrage of comments personally insulting me made me feel like asserting myself a bit. I doubt that was the reason I was banned though.

Anyway, to answer your question, and just for clarity -

Buying unlicensed merchandise = bad.
Selling unlicensed merchandise = bad.

Nothing to do with which cosplay group is doing it (I only followed Brit-Cit Judges so was only aware of what they were doing), to suggest otherwise hints at paranoia.

It's just bad.

Hope that cleared things up.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Viking Justice on 06 February, 2015, 03:05:30 PM
So why this directed attack on BritCit?

It's not. You'll notice that this thread runs to 27 pages because we know Rebellion can't have eyes everywhere and we try to help out if we spot anything we think might be iffy. There's no difference between unlicensed product A and unlicensed product B as far as I'm concerned. One-off fan made labour of love: fine. One-off fan made labour of love on eBay: not so fine but probably not worth Rebellion's time tackling. As soon as it's into multiples, it's product — if the person(s) making that product expect to make money off it, then they should share some of that money with the IP holder in the form of a licensing agreement.

I don't think this is either difficult to grasp or controversial. As a supporter of this particular collection of IP, I don't want to encourage or support any attempts to circumvent such a basic reciprocal arrangement.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Viking Justice

As I said, I agree with you on this figure and on the subject of IP. I am aware it runs to 27 pages, over a considerable length of time. But I wondered why anyone choosing to monitor the selling or promotion of unlicensed goods around Facebook would subscribe to only one group and paint us all as being the bad guys over this. As I said, 1,302 members, and growing daily. And most do NOT own the figure or have any interest in doing so. Collectors are collectors and would collect a beer mat if you shoved Dredd on it. That's been evidenced in this forum quite often, in the past.

The self styled elite doesn't refer to you all by any means and I think I said I respect most of those posting, already. I don't respect those who set themselves up as an authority on what is and is not a "true fan".

To play Devil's Advocate, one of our members has just posted that our group reignited his love of Dredd, leading him to buy back progs, subscribe to everything including the Mega-Collection and to buy various licensed goods as well as the Case Files. That's a considerable spend in Rebellion's coffers from one person (not even a drop in the ocean, financially, I know) but then he buys this figure and is labelled as not a true fan, and told he is harming Rebellion. Can you understand his mixed feelings on the subject? While I have already said (repeatedly) that I disagree with the figure, I can understand and empathise with his annoyance at this label, which he viewed as little more than an insult. And he wasn't alone. There are several fans in our group who are owners, and each collects Dredd gear, which means Rebellion and Planet Replicas. But as collectors (it seems to be a malady?) they also wish to own some of the other items produced out there.

I am not excusing them, I am merely pointing out that they pay out with one hand, and are then told they are taking away with the other.

I am aware of the reasoning behind the argument that it harms Rebellion, and Planet Replicas licence. As I said, I tend not to buy anything that would harm either one, despite wanting several items (a doll, to me isn't one of those things) for their quality and finish. They aren't official, they aren't licensed, so I'll take a pass, much as it sometimes pains me.  I have followed the character and the comic far too long to jeopardise anything - particularly in this economic climate.

But this whole "true fan" malarkey irks me. And it IS ridiculous.

Richmond, I meant associate in person, not merely by being on the same board. I hope that clears this up.

And Lee, thank you for clarifying that I am not, in your opinion, a cunt.

As an aside, may I ask why this sort of terminology or language is used so freely here? We do not allow it in our group, and I am merely curious. In person, to my face, I have never put up with it, as it pushes my "offended" button. I suppose everyone is different, but most people I know, if you call them that as a pejorative, in person, will take decisive action against you... It simply seems needlessly abusive, offensive and inflammatory - "laddish" and "chavvish" - in any reasoned and rational discussion.

And if you believe others are being abusive towards you, in such groups, isn't it best to approach the admins about it, rather than using offensive and even more inflammatory language? Or is that just me?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Viking Justice on 06 February, 2015, 04:18:42 PM
But I wondered why anyone choosing to monitor the selling or promotion of unlicensed goods around Facebook would subscribe to only one group and paint us all as being the bad guys over this.

But that's not what happened, is it? Someone who subscribed to your group for entirely other reasons happened to spot someone touting an unlicensed product and mentioned it here because — since the FB group is closed — it's not something Rebellion would necessarily have found out about by chance.

Cheers

Jim

Viking Justice

Not by chance, no, Jim. But when the man behind Planet Replicas is a member if our group, I'd be surprised if they didn't find out about it.

Viking Justice

And, just to explain, and to further my issue with the "true fan" bit, what you said, in BritCit Judges, was that you would deal with your IP complaint by reporting it, on the thread set up for such matters, on the 2000AD forum (no problems or issues so far) but then your exact words were " where the true fans are".

THAT is what our members have taken exception to, and what irked me, personally. If they aren't members here, well, by your reasoning - your own words - they aren't "true fans".

As I said. Tsk.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Viking Justice on 06 February, 2015, 04:34:12 PM
Not by chance, no, Jim. But when the man behind Planet Replicas is a member if our group, I'd be surprised if they didn't find out about it.

Yes, but what you described (someone "choosing to monitor the selling or promotion of unlicensed goods around Facebook would subscribe to only one group and paint us all as being the bad guys")  still isn't what happened, is it? I'm not actually sure what point you're trying to make, and I'm not convinced you are either.

Cheers

Jim

Viking Justice

I've made several points and asked several questions, Jim, and so far no one seems willing to answer anything much more other than you now apparently trying to portray me as confused or befuddled. I'm neither, thanks.

Viking Justice

Lee joined our group 8 months ago. In that time, this true fan, with all his knowledge and experience contributed nothing to the entire board, other than to kick this off, this morning. Furthermore, his own profile, here, has suggested to our members that he was there as a lurker, while his comments, this morning, have suggested to them that his sole purpose for being there seems to have been to spy on kit being produced and report through this thread. Those are the perceptions of our group, following this mornings events.

I have already made the point about him bandying the words "true fan" about. I'm not sure how much more clear I can be about that, or what it is that you are failing to understand, as to why it has annoyed our members so. You have to be a member here to be a "true fan". :/

I also made the point, as Devils Advocate, about the lad who has ploughed his spare cash into collecting the Rebellion publications and back issues, and a Planet Replicas items, only to now be told he isn't a fan and is harming Rebellion, because he purchased a bootleg figure.

While I am on, isn't the situation that Rebellion don't, in fact, own the rights to the movie licenced gear? That Planet Replicas were all set to buy the licence for the movie gear from Rebellion, but this fell through, because Rebellion don't own these rights?

If I have that wrong, then I apologise. I am clearly misinformed.

If I have that right, though, then in what way, shape or form is buying this knockoff of the movie figure - to which neither Rebellion nor PR own the rights - going to hurt either one?

Spikes