Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Enigmatic Dr X

Five Nights At Freddies

Sorry, Willy's Wonderland

The plot is something a 12 year old would make up. Not so much plot holes as a plot black-hole.

But... modern Nicholas Cage does what modern Nicholas Cage does. He utters not a word throughout the film, instead giving a nuanced performance where he reveals his character's inner pain by consuming illegal-looking energy drinks and punching demonic animatronics. To death. (And then he rips out those mo-fo's electric spines).

I loved it enough that my immediate response was to Google for a t-shirt. YMMV. It is, however, memorable.
Lock up your spoons!

Trooper McFad

Talking of Nicholas Cage keep away from Jiu Jitsu

I usually don't mind his films heck I enjoyed Ghost Rider but this is rock bottom😳
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

CalHab

Quote from: Trooper McFad on 19 April, 2021, 09:44:23 AM
Talking of Nicholas Cage keep away from Jiu Jitsu

I usually don't mind his films heck I enjoyed Ghost Rider but this is rock bottom😳

The trailer looked appalling. I'm usually all for a Nicholas Cage film (Mandy is in my top films of recent years), but I drew the line at that.

milstar

Quote from: CalHab on 19 April, 2021, 08:52:20 AM
How can any discussion of The Lost Boys fail to mention the oiled-up, body builder saxophonist? It's the most important scene of the film and the era.

Well, I thought it was weird at first, but then I realized that Santa Carla is weird place. Plus, it's Joel Schumacher's film.

Quote from: Trooper McFad on 19 April, 2021, 09:32:25 AM
I put myself through one of the sequels (can't remember which one) and the saxophonist has a cameo on a street corner - funniest moment of the film as he's let himself go 😂😂😂

The lost Boys has sequels? Are they any good? And why movies that I thought are stand-alone and worj the best as such have forgettable sequels with them (8mm, Turbulence, Starship Troopers, Hard Target to name a few... Oh and The Howling)?

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 19 April, 2021, 09:34:34 AM
Five Nights At Freddies

The plot is something a 12 year old would make up. Not so much plot holes as a plot black-hole.

But... modern Nicholas Cage does what modern Nicholas Cage does. He utters not a word throughout the film, instead giving a nuanced performance where he reveals his character's inner pain by consuming illegal-looking energy drinks and punching demonic animatronics. To death. (And then he rips out those mo-fo's electric spines).

I loved it enough that my immediate response was to Google for a t-shirt. YMMV. It is, however, memorable.

Is it worse than The Wicker Man?
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

Barrington Boots

Quote from: milstar on 19 April, 2021, 01:04:35 PM
The lost Boys has sequels? Are they any good?

A million times no. Avoid at all costs!
You're a dark horse, Boots.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Five Nights At Freddies

You seem to have confused my review with criticism. I recommend Willy's Wonderland.
Lock up your spoons!

pictsy

Saw that one covered on Scaredy Cats.  Looked like a lot of fun.  It's on my list.

milstar

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 19 April, 2021, 02:02:27 PM

Five Nights At Freddies

You seem to have confused my review with criticism. I recommend Willy's Wonderland.

Oh. Seems I confused it with Jiu Jitsu.

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 19 April, 2021, 01:53:49 PM
The lost Boys has sequels? Are they any good?

A million times no. Avoid at all costs!

Once i made a mistake by not listening and playing RE6. Never again.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

milstar

War Games

I think I saw this decade plus few years ago and didn't remember well. So, re-watching the movie was like watching it for the first time. Probably, one of more interesting movies that came out of the 1980s. I don't know why it reminiscenced me on the the episodes from Judge Dredd and Moon Olympics. Anyway, seems that Matthew Broderick played essentially the same guy in Ferris Bueller (I like to think that his character in War Games is younger Ferris) or Ladyhawke. Ally Sheedy's part is younger version of her in Short Circuit (also directed by John Badham). Oh, and Michael Madsen makes brief appearance (one of his earliest roles), so no surprise with this two. At the end, I was entertained. War gaming never felt more serious than here. Even though I find the plot heavy handed (in part thanks for me being total ignoramus when it comes to high tech), I liked all the techno military stuff, observed from the point of view of a teenager.

Oh, and what a surprise, War Games has a sequel, which naturally, I wasn't aware of it.

I, Cosh

Quote from: milstar on 20 April, 2021, 09:38:40 AM
War Games
In that strange way that the mind retains tiny details from years ago, I don't think I've seen this film since it was first in the cinema but I can still remember the crucial password.
We never really die.

pictsy

Mr and Mrs Smith

This film has little value beyond the action.  Nevertheless, I enjoy the action and I like watching this film when I want something that doesn't require too much attention.  The plot is paper thin, the characters are bland, the framing is muddled.  The pacing is good and as I said, so is the action. 

CalHab

It's entirely reliant on the action and the charisma of the leads. But, on the other hand, the action is well done as you say, and the leads are Jolie and Pitt. So it kind of works.

Doug Liman has made a career out of making films that are better than they look on paper (Bourne Identity and Edge of Tomorrow being the prime examples).

milstar

If there's one thing I remember from Mr. & Mrs Smith, is Angelina in tight, sexy dress, snapping someone's neck.

Colin YNWA

Oh, and what a surprise, War Games has a sequel, which naturally, I wasn't aware of it.

Its does... so its does. Who knew. From a very quick read though might not be worth knowing that!

Funt Solo

Quote from: I, Cosh on 20 April, 2021, 09:41:38 AM
War Games
In that strange way that the mind retains tiny details from years ago, I don't think I've seen this film since it was first in the cinema but I can still remember the crucial password.

I have fond memories of that movie, but mostly I just remember the invitation to play. I'm pretty sure that swiveling around on a chair between different keyboards and monitors is only really a joyous thing to do because of that movie.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++