Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buddy

SENNA

Fucking brilliant.... tragic end to an incredible sportsman.

So many incidents came together that resulted in the loss of his life... so many what ifs... the race he died in should never have happened, anoher driver was killed the day before during practice... that race should have been cancelled... the change in regulations that banned driver aids for that season... even the crash at the start of the race impacted on what was to come.

Add to that what Senna was doing to fight poverty in his home Barzil, setting up charities to aid children get a better life in a shocking city. So much was lost to millions of people when he lost his life.

Even if your not an F1 fan this is a great story, go see it.

Orlok

Happy Go Lucky- A Mike Leigh special about fuck all that I had to endure with the wife. Even she turned to me at the end (I was flicking through the latest Prog) to say "that was shit!", so it must have been dire.

Punisher War Zone- Exraordinarily violent. An opportinity missed as they never quite seem to get Frank Castle right on screen. Also, plot holes you could drive his van through and Julie Benz being annoying.

Eden Log- Crazy, crazy shit. Very atmospheric and clever in places but something you should never watch while intoxicated.

blackmocco

Black Death with Sean Bean. Great stuff. Thought it was going to be absolute shite but far better than you'd believe. Very creepy in places...
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Dandontdare

Quote from: Orlok on 26 June, 2011, 01:10:59 AM
Happy Go Lucky- A Mike Leigh special about fuck all that I had to endure with the wife. Even she turned to me at the end (I was flicking through the latest Prog) to say "that was shit!", so it must have been dire.

Whaaat? Apart from that strange interlude with the tramp, I loved this film.No-one can make 'fuck all' as engrossing as Mike Leigh. Although I really couldn't decide whether I wanted to marry Poppy or slap her silly.

Orlok

I wanted to slap her annoying face after the first 10 mins. It had moments of humour but I like a film to have a few bare essentials, the first of these being plot. Maybe I am just being greedy there.
I thought it was going somewhere when [spoiler]the kid in her class was being abused[/spoiler] but that soon fizzled out.

Tiplodocus

As I get older, I find I have less and less time for these "quirky" characters and Happy did indeed need a good slap.  The driving instructor chap was good though.

GOLDEN COMPASS: As beautiful as it looks, it's just scene after scene of relentless basil. Case in point of how not to adapt a dense idea filled book.

GIRL WITH DRAGON TAT: Enjoyable stuff - was slightly disappointed that it ended up in [spoiler]serial killer [/spoiler] territory
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

JamesC

Watched 'The Mechanic' starring Jason Statham which was great fun - I was actually quite surprised when he [spoiler]shot Donald Sutherland in cold blood[/spoiler]

The DVD had a trailer for another Statham film called 'Blitz' which also stars Paddy Considine and David Morrissey - I think I'll have to try to get hold of it - it looks like a good old over the top 'cop on the edge' film.

SmallBlueThing

Last movie i watched was Moon, on my birthday last week. I confess to being disappointed and bored by it. Started off well enough, but as soon as the main thrust of the story was revealed (and revealed to be the least interesting way the story could have gone) it went rapidly downhill. All very pedestrian, and i was left scratching my head over who the dark haired girl he saw at the start was supposed to be. Meh. Though the Space 1999 style effects were neat.
SBT

Mardroid

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 26 June, 2011, 10:55:05 AM
All very pedestrian, and i was left scratching my head over who the dark haired girl he saw at the start was supposed to be.

I believe it was [spoiler]his (well not strictly 'his', but you know what I mean) daughter all grown up[/spoiler].... but it's been some months since I've seen it.  [spoiler]As he has only seen her as a child on the video I think it was meant to be a bit of foreshadowing of the twist to come.  As to why he saw her... I'm not totally sure, but I think it was meant to be a kind of psychic cross pollination if that makes sense, possibly triggered by the start of his deterioration. You know how twins sometime feel each others pain, etc?

I'll admit that's a bit of a stretch for a sci-fi film, and I'm not sure that quite works for the more realistic world they're portraying, but as it's just brief I don't think it messed things up.[/spoiler]

I enjoyed Moon, although I can see why others didn't. I think if the film had ended with the twist that [spoiler]he is a clone[/spoiler], that would have been poor, but the fact they ran with it and the implications worked for me.

TordelBack

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 26 June, 2011, 10:32:37 AM
GOLDEN COMPASS: As beautiful as it looks, it's just scene after scene of relentless basil. Case in point of how not to adapt a dense idea filled book.

What's worse, despite becoming mind-numbingly dull in spooning out the exposition (which is notably absent in the book), it then has an ending which is the exact opposite of the book's, and retrospectively changes the entire plot into something utterly pedestrian and predictable.  Apart from looking gorgeous it's a complete disaster. 

This is a film that has ARMOURED PLOAR BEARS FIGHTING EACH OTHER, EVA GREEN AS A SEXY WITCH IN SEE-THROUGH CLOTHES and TEXAN SHARP-SHOOTERS FLYING HOTAIR BALLOONS ACROSS THE ARCTIC (sounds like a Pat Mills pitch actually...) and it's still boring as hell - in many ways that's a serious achievement.

Tiplodocus

I think I know where you are coming from but please expand.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

I, Cosh

Where Eagles Dare. No further explanation required, I should hope.
We never really die.

TordelBack

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 27 June, 2011, 12:06:34 AM
I think I know where you are coming from but please expand.

Assuming you aren't pulling my leg (very poor sarcasm detection abilities this weather), the book ends with [spoiler] Lord Asriel murdering Roger (by excising his daemon) to make a gate between worlds - making him the villain rather than the 'Daddy will make it all better' figure the film leaves us with as the chums sail merrily into the aurora borealis. In the book Lyra thinks she's bringing her father the alethiometer, and rescuing Roger  - in fact what she's bringing him is Roger, to kill.  In the book Asriel also reunites with Mrs. Coulter, somewhat undermining the conflict with the (declawed) Magisterium, and a betrayed and defiant Lyra heads through the gateway into another world...[/spoiler]. 

I'd say that leaving that little out lot turns the underlying plot of the book completely on its head.  The argument made was that these scenes would "work better" at the start of the putative second film - although allegedly they were shot as part of this one.  There might actually  have been a second film if they'd left the powerful and shocking ending in rather than the sugary nothing they ended up with. 

HdE

Just caught the second half of 'Heat', with Al Pacino and Robert DeNiro.

Thi sfilm's amazing. It has that special quality of being able to still involve me every time I see it, even though I've seen it God-knows-how-many times.

That scene where Pacino finds Xander Berkely in his apartment is just classic, classic stuff.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Orlok

Doubt
Cracking film with quality performances from the big three (Streep, Hoffman and Adams). If you want a thoughtful film with a great plot and top notch cast, have a butcher's at this.
Unless Indiana Jones IV is on, in which case, just shoot your TV.  ;)