Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orlok

Quote from: TordelBack on 14 July, 2011, 08:00:36 AM
Quote from: Orlok on 14 July, 2011, 07:32:00 AM
True, but then he was put through the wood chipper and spread over a wide area.

I'm sure the Eye of Zoltec could sort that out in a jiffy.

I'm sure retcon Tharg could do an equally good job.

Wils

After falling asleep both times I attempted to watch it before, I spotted and bought Hardware on Blu-Ray for £6.07. After one of the longest hour and a halves I've ever had, I decided that I paid £6.08 too much for it. What a dull, pretentious pile of shite; desperately trying to force sci-fi into arthouse. Malchi keeps quoting the Shades bit at the end in the shower which keeps giving me flashbacks to its terrible, *terrible* script.

SmallBlueThing

Yep, i felt the same on its original release. Bloody awful.
SBT

Van Dom

Quote from: The Cosh on 13 July, 2011, 12:33:16 AM
Universal Soldier: Regeneration. A surprisingly good DTV/Channel 5 addition to the franchise. I'd heard a lot of good things about this and it really is head and shoulders above the standard for this sort of fare. Both Dolph and van Damme are back for this one. Dolph's role is the smaller of the two but, like The Expendables, he really steals the show with the unhinged oddness of his character. Unlike The Expendables, the fight scenes are largely filmed in that unpopular style where you can see what's going and whose hitting who. This is a good thing.

The opening scene is gripping and well-staged, belying the B-movie budget. With just a little more cash to paper over some of the failings of the production, this would be a very good action movie. As it is, it's well worth catching when it's next on ITV4.

Great Movie. And, yes, I am a massive Van Damme fan but that doesn't mean I have rose-tinted glasses on when it comes to all his movies. He's had some pretty shit ones out the last few years, but then you get stuff like this, JCVD, Wake of Death, After Death etc... The fights in this are bone-crunchingly awesome.

There's another installment in post-production, once again directed by John Hyams (who did this one) and starring Van Damme and Lundgren. This one's going to be released to cinemas, seemingly, and in 3D to boot, which....well, snore really, I couldn't give a toss. Although, the word is its going to be pretty cool. An MMA style action flick in 3D......If the fights are anything like the ones in this installment, it should make for some fun viewing.
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

HdE

Watched the movie 'Sword Of The Stranger' last night. It's anime, to be more precise, but WOWZAH does it have some brutal, stunning action towards the end! It's animated by Studio Bones, who always excel at action sequences.

Anyone else seen it?
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Professor Bear

Ferocious Planet, starring Gimli from Sliders and one of the blokes from Stargate Atlantis.  Filmed entirely in Ireland and you can sort of tell from the generic forest park setting and everyone but Gimli struggling and failing for the most part to hide their Irish accents.  It's basically one of those old stop-motion FX monster movies where all the bluescreen happens in the background and the actors are in the foreground reacting to it, only with CGI instead of stop motion.  I'm not sure what the reviewing parameters are for something like this, as objectively it is quite dreadful on every level, but relative to other movies that begin with the words "Syfy Presents" appearing onscreen it's probably average.

Knights of Bloodsteel, which is one of them exhibits for the prosecution in the case of Christopher Loyd's career being deeply in the shitter.  It starts off recapping something that was never filmed, then goes about looking like a high-budget episode of Hercules: the Legendary Journeys, but without the attempts at humor.  It's not good.

When Worlds Collide.  I suspect the science in this is slightly awry, but what the hey - a sci-fi melodrama about the end of the world that's dated badly, but then anything that doesn't have computers or mobile phones in it usually doesn't look the best in a modern viewing.  Effects are a bit off, the tidal/earthquake catastrophe is oddly punctual (characters have it calculated to the minute and sit around a clock waiting for it to happen), they jump onto another planet without checking if it has an atmosphere first, and there seems to be a bias towards Christian theology in it , but it's enjoyable guff.

Blue Thunder - I don't know if this was a theatrical movie spun off into the tv show or an actual pilot and I can't be arsed Googling it, but it's an enjoyable thriller with an oddly grounded approach to conspiracies: a bloke tries to stop the hero's girlfriend from blowing the gaff by delivering incriminating evidence to a reporter by waving his gun around in a room full of people screaming "I'll kill you, you son of a bitch!" before getting the shit pistol-whipped out of him by an aging security guard who looks like Stan Lee - no elegant cover-ups here and it's all the better for it, feeling like everything is just holding together by the seat of its pants.  There's some clumsy foreshadowing with the tape, the fuse, "you looped a chopper?" and nobody wondering why the lead copper kills his partner, or why the copper doesn't turn the evidence into his superiors immediately, and so on, but it's still entertaining enough way to kill 90 minutes or so.

Van Dom

Blue Thunder is da bomb!! It was originally a movie. Roy Scheider is awesome in this.
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

TordelBack

Quote from: Van Dom on 14 July, 2011, 09:22:55 PM
Blue Thunder is da bomb!! It was originally a movie. Roy Scheider is awesome in this.

As a kid I loved the naked yoga scene.  Watched the TV series religiously hoping for more of the same, but alas!

JOE SOAP

All we got was Jaffa, undead.

Orlok

Shouldn't that be JAFO?
Unless you are casting aspersions on his virility...

JOE SOAP

Let's not foget his 'grounded' brother Rolling Thunder.

radiator

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part Two (2d).

I thought it was good, not great, and that's coming from an unapologetic fan of the films - especially the third, fifth and seventh ones.

I just thought something seemed a bit off about it. Key scenes from the book just seemed flat the way they were shot, like they were awkwardly going through the motions - and there were a few iconic moments that seemed to me to be rushed, skipped over, or lacking the requisite tension and excitement.

It's also a bloody depressing film, at times overbearingly so - with few moments of comic relief  or triumph to liven things up. There's also the usual problems inherent in trying to condense Rowling's insanely convoluted plot down to a manageable narrative - if I were in charge I would have stripped he story down much more and streamlined the fiddly details (perhaps reducing the amount of horcruxes, or making the deathly Hallows and the horcruxes one and the same).

Theres also a few curious - or even downright weird - creative decisions that have been made during the making of this film, resulting in quite a few moments of unintentional laughter from the audience i saw it with. The epilogue scene in particular will no doubt live on in infamy...

Tiplodocus

Yeah, I really liked the BLUE THUNDER movie when it came out originally. Absolutely hated the TV series.  JAFO was great and so was the "Then delete them all" line.  Was it John Badham directed it?

As for UNIVERSAL SOLDIER, I think that was the first film I saw that made me realise that I wouldn't always be entertained by fights and things blowing up. 
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Zarjazzer

Nazi Dawn an incredibly below average  horror channel film. There's one bald, "ghost" nazi who appears at the end and has somehow merged with the ship and the evil can transfer to other people, or something by which time i'd lost the will to do anything other than admire the old Liberty ship it was filmed on.

Some background modern stuff about torturing prisoners (i.e  just like the NAzis kids in case you didn't get it), and Lance Henrikson  "starred" doing a great impression of himself. Some amusing deaths and father- son cliches only Hollywood could  like, vaguely interesting until the predictable indestructible- killer- is -now- on- the -loose -near you ending.

No amount of bilge pumps could really save this.

Made for a princely £ 350,000. It looks it.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Tiplodocus

DOOM (or as I'm sure every review back in 2005 probably pointed out GLOOM - god it's dark).  Actually I quite enjoyed this - probably not enough to defend it in an argument but it had it's moments.

I've not played the game for many a year so can't recall much of the game plot vs. film plot. 

Not enough different kinds of monsters but a nice bit about "evil" which could spur a nature vs, nurture debate if you felt inclined and I was genuinely suprised about how they handled "The Rock".

Urban and Rosamund Pike both likeable and pretty leads and a clever ending that they'd given you just enough information about to make you think "Oh, yeah, that would work."

And the few minutes of  first person shooter view was very well done.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!