Main Menu

Science is Drokking Fantastic Because...

Started by The Legendary Shark, 21 July, 2011, 11:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackmocco

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 29 September, 2021, 03:14:31 PM
Shouldn't they be depicted with feathers? Or is that only some dinosaurs? (It took me an embarrassingly long time to realise that feathered dinosaurs weren't just something Pat Mills made up for the craic in Legend of Shamana.)

Turns out everyone got a little carried away with the feathers thing. Some clearly had. Some clearly hadn't.

https://www.iflscience.com/plants-and-animals/first-fossilized-skin-of-a-carnivorous-dino-reveals-carnotaurus-had-scaly-skin-with-no-feathers/
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

JayzusB.Christ

Aha.  Thanks.  Dinosaurs have changed a lot since my day one way or the other though.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

milstar

Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

wedgeski

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Legendary Shark

All alone in the night...

This mosaic depicts the International Space Station pictured from the SpaceX Crew Dragon Endeavour during a fly around of the orbiting lab that took place following its undocking from the Harmony module's space-facing port on Nov. 8, 2021. (spaceref.com)
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

milstar

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/rats-playing-doom-twitch/

Can't say I'd uninteresting to watch rats playing for sheer curiosity, but this is animal abuse to me.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

After thirty odd years and a fortnight of squeaky bums, NASA has confirmed the James Webb Space Telescope is fully deployed!

I remember first hearing about it during my undergrad, which is a lot longer ago than I like to admit.
You may quote me on that.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Legendary Shark

China's $1 trillion 'artificial sun' fusion reactor just got five times hotter than the sun.

China's "artificial sun" has set a new world record after superheating a loop of plasma to temperatures five times hotter than the sun for more than 17 minutes, state media reported.

The EAST (Experimental Advanced Superconducting Tokamak) nuclear fusion reactor maintained a temperature of 158 million degrees Fahrenheit (70 million degrees Celsius) for 1,056 seconds, according to the Xinhua News Agency. The achievement brings scientists a small yet significant step closer to the creation of a source of near-unlimited clean energy.

space.com

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Proudhuff

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 11 January, 2022, 12:48:34 PM

China's $1 trillion 'artificial sun' fusion reactor just got five times hotter than the sun.

China's "artificial sun" has set a new world record after superheating a loop of plasma to temperatures five times hotter than the sun for more than 17 minutes, state media reported.

The EAST (Experimental Advanced Superconducting Tokamak) nuclear fusion reactor maintained a temperature of 158 million degrees Fahrenheit (70 million degrees Celsius) for 1,056 seconds, according to the Xinhua News Agency. The achievement brings scientists a small yet significant step closer to the creation of a source of near-unlimited clean energy.

space.com

What could possibly go wrong?
DDT did a job on me

wedgeski

Quote from: Proudhuff on 11 January, 2022, 01:03:06 PM
Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 11 January, 2022, 12:48:34 PM

space.com

What could possibly go wrong?
Not a lot, really, as I understand it. Obviously the reactor is a dangerous piece of machinery but there's no chance of runaway reactions.

Tiplodocus

I heard one of the scientists building it got welded to some ai controlled robotic tentacles they used to manipulate the reaction.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

The Legendary Shark

He octo have known better.

I'll get me lab coat...

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]