Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: broodblik on 26 April, 2021, 05:09:23 AM
Your Honor is a good show. As you watch it you will keep asking yourself the same question how stupid can each of these characters be by doing some silly stuff to escalate the problem

Gave up on Your Honour after I spent the first episode shouting at the telly.

"Stop the car you twat!"
"Take your inhaler before calling you idiot!"
"Go to the police. It was an accident!"
"Why are you risking your life, career and jail time?"

The premise is so incredible it made my thoughts hide in a cupboard until it went away.
Lock up your spoons!

broodblik

Dr X if any off these things that you mentioned did happen we would not have a show and you could not SCREAM at the boxy thing looking back at you.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

MacabreMagpie

I've been diving into a few shows that I've heard raved about for years, these past months and they've all been blinders.

Fargo - not seen season 4 yet but loved the first three. Some extremely memorable characters.
Russian Doll - good fun sci-fi, reminded me a bit of Vonnegut
Mindhunter - not finished yet but good stuff
Marianne - only just started this but holy shit, even with it having a lot of ideas I've seen elsewhere, this is one hell of a creepy show. I'm deliberately avoiding watching this one before bed...

Radbacker

Despite its YA trappings (late teen protagonist, love triangle etc) I am enjoying Shadow and Bone quite a bit.  I like the Tsarist setting rather than Anglo, seemingly good acting and quite good to look at, and think Netflix are getting pretty good at these Fantasy gigs. 
On a similar note I am eagerly awaiting Wheel of Time from Amazon as it is one of my favourite Fantasy series that definitely needs a bit of money thrown at it to make a good adaptation and certainly needs to be a series as there is no way it would be possible as movies (unless they wanted to make a 7 or 8 movie octology?)

CU Radbacker

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: broodblik on 26 April, 2021, 10:44:32 AM
Dr X if any off these things that you mentioned did happen we would not have a show and you could not SCREAM at the boxy thing looking back at you.

So I am to suspend disbelief to such an extent? Nah. If the production team can't be arsed sorting these issues, I can't be arsed watching. There is plenty of other stuff.
Lock up your spoons!

Rara Avis

Quote from: Radbacker on 27 April, 2021, 06:13:26 AM
On a similar note I am eagerly awaiting Wheel of Time from Amazon as it is one of my favourite Fantasy series that definitely needs a bit of money thrown at it to make a good adaptation and certainly needs to be a series as there is no way it would be possible as movies (unless they wanted to make a 7 or 8 movie octology?)

CU Radbacker

Hopefully this will be the new Game of Thrones but actually stay decent for the duration. Pretty excited about this as well.

Radbacker

Well at least the book series is actually finished so they have that to pull from, and the middle slog from the series (book 6 and 7) can be condensed down quite easily considering those two books only seem to cover about 4 weeks book time,  I'm very hopeful for the show.  Can't wait for the first preview the teasers released so far have been good (they just released a Lan for teaser a couple of days ago and hope really a true teaser (5 seconds long!!) it's looking good).  I really hope the show does well, I'm rereading the books in perpetration

CU Radbacker

Tiplodocus

Started Season 5 of THE EXPANSE. I immediately and simultaneously love and loathe the idea of splitting everyone up and the very showy long special effects tracking shots. But still one of my favourite things on streaming and it still makes me shed a tear for modern Star Trek.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Rara Avis

Quote from: Radbacker on 30 April, 2021, 03:17:55 AM
Well at least the book series is actually finished so they have that to pull from, and the middle slog from the series (book 6 and 7) can be condensed down quite easily considering those two books only seem to cover about 4 weeks book time,  I'm very hopeful for the show.  Can't wait for the first preview the teasers released so far have been good (they just released a Lan for teaser a couple of days ago and hope really a true teaser (5 seconds long!!) it's looking good).  I really hope the show does well, I'm rereading the books in perpetration

CU Radbacker

I hadn't realised there were more trailers out there. It's been a while since I've read the books and have no intention to re-read at this point so I don't recall the exact events of each book. I'm really looking forward to seeing the Aiel (but I guess that will be S3 with just one guy in S1 or S2) and Trollocs , the braid tugging and just everything really. Thought Brandon Sanderson did a noble job of finishing the series book wise.

Trooper McFad

Just landed on Netflix is Jupiter Rising
Watched the 1st 2 tonight and although not blown away it showed enough to keep me hooked. Only 8 episodes so I'll power through the rest and give a view after that.
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Trooper McFad

Quote from: Trooper McFad on 07 May, 2021, 11:41:06 PM
Just landed on Netflix is Jupiter Rising
Watched the 1st 2 tonight and although not blown away it showed enough to keep me hooked. Only 8 episodes so I'll power through the rest and give a view after that.

😖 I'm a muppet it's Jupiter's Legacy
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

CalHab

I watched the first episode of Jupiter's Legacy and the script and acting just put me right off. It is so, so wooden. I had a lot of problems with Falcon & Winter Soldier, but it was leagues ahead of this. I don't usually give up after a single episode, but I am with this.

broodblik

Judgement is still out for me on Jupiter's Legacy. First episode was not impressed with and I also felt the acting felt forced rather than spontaneous. Will at least watch another one.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Radbacker

I'm enjoying Jupiters Legacy (though I keep calling it Jupiters Children for some reason). The acting could be a bit better but by episode 3 it's caught my attention, it's nothing we haven't read before but not been done ✔️ n a story before.  M

CU Radbacker

wedgeski

We haven't hit Jupiter's yet. We did recently finish the Chilling Adventures of Sabrina (v. good final season, unafraid to stamp an actual ending on the whole sory, which I appreciated) and Shadow and Bone, which had everything it needed to be good but ultimately landed flat with us. There comes a point in YA fiction where casting teenagers as embittered crime lords stretches verisimilitude to breaking point (unless you're Bugsy Malone, that is).