Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiplodocus

I was watching Enterprise with Tiny Tips last night and explaining to him how much good will Scott Bakula carried through to his role as Archer as a result of those first 3 seasons of Quantum Leap.

And while not strictly "box set" (it's being shown nightly on Pick TV, we are really enjoying Star Trek: Enterprise.  I'd only ever seen the start of Season 1, the second half of Season 3 and Season 4 before. (and really liked the later episodes - mostly). 

Currently I think we are just into Season 2 and really enjoying it. They don't do much with some of the characters (Hoshi and Travis) but Archer get's by on Bakula's likeability, Trip is a classic of home-spun good ole boy wisdom, Reed the stuffy Brit is good for a laugh, Doctor Phlox could have his own show but the stand out for me is T'Pol - easy on the eye plus a study in exemplary eyebrow acting and innuendo played completely straight. 

It works best when it breaks format ("A night in sickbay" and "The catwalk" both being enjoyable bottle (almost) shows. This probably a good sign that the Star Trek "boldy going" format was actually dead long before this show was greenlit. 
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Professor Bear

Say what you like about that show, but at least the Borg were an actual menace again and not just emo robots like in Voyager.
For me, Enterprise was at its best in season three when it went for broke and stopped pretending it wasn't Galaxy Quest, though season 4 had a few great moments, like the evil universe episodes, and that episode where the captain had a fistfight with Robocop inside a city that is also a UFO that is also a death ray that is also on Mars, which is sort of undercut as a fun concept when the very next thing that happens is a dead baby, but still - full marks for trying.

Link Prime

Quote from: Professor James T Bear on 22 August, 2013, 01:20:02 PM
like the evil universe episodes

They were great.
The change to the title sequence was inspired.

Professor Bear

Quote from: Link Prime on 22 August, 2013, 02:18:18 PMThe change to the title sequence was inspired by an alternate-reality episode of Buffy that did the same thing several years earlier.

FTFY.

As I say, Enterprise was at its best when it stopped pretending it was reinventing the wheel and got over itself - exemplified by the time halfway through season three when someone on the writing staff said "fuck yeah, I'm gonna interrupt this season-long genocide story and do a cowboy episode."  A few episodes later when the ship encountered suicide-bombing space-Muslims I recall thinking it must be awesome to have a job where they pay you to be drunk.

Link Prime

Quote from: Professor James T Bear on 22 August, 2013, 02:46:01 PM
A few episodes later when the ship encountered suicide-bombing space-Muslims I recall thinking it must be awesome to have a job where they pay you to be drunk.

Yer all kindsa nuts Prof, but in a good way.

Professor Bear

Hey, look me in the eye and tell me "Spock is a lady with massive boobs and the captain is Sam Beckett" wasn't a production meeting that started with a nose full of charlie and ended with high fives.

Link Prime

Tiplodocus

Quote from: Professor James T Bear on 22 August, 2013, 02:59:24 PM
Hey, look me in the eye and tell me "Spock is a lady with massive boobs and the captain is Sam Beckett" wasn't a production meeting that started with a nose full of charlie and ended with high fives.

Where in Grud's name is the LIKE button?

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Professor James T Bear on 22 August, 2013, 02:59:24 PM

Did you notice those massive boobs suddenly deflated in later seasons?!?  Highly illogical.

TordelBack

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 23 August, 2013, 07:56:00 AM
Did you notice those massive boobs suddenly deflated in later seasons?!?  Highly illogical.

Pon farr is a complex cycle.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: TordelBack on 23 August, 2013, 08:47:42 AM
Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 23 August, 2013, 07:56:00 AM

Pon farr is a complex cycle.

Yes, and clearly involves silicon, or the sudden lack thereof.

Tiplodocus

I genuinely never noticed. She did change from that very tight grey brown outfit into a fetching set of coloured catsuits. Maybe they just emphasised other aspects.

Goaty

Funny that no-one notice she got different haircut in Season 3.

Dandontdare

Link Prime