Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiplodocus

Quote from: pictsy on 10 December, 2013, 11:43:01 AM
Stuck on episode 13, series 3 of Star Trek ToS.  The title of the episode "Elaan of Troyius" just fills me with dread. 

Is that the one with a bit of dialogue along the lines of:

"What is this Human word 'Spanking' that you refer to?"

How could you not love that?
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

pictsy

I haven't actually watched it yet.  You're just scaring me off even more ;)

Hawkmumbler

Quick! Stop this before Richmond see's!

Well I started to watch Breaking Bad, at last. Five episodes into season one and it's very good indeed. I find Walter to be one of the more empathetic anti hero's of recent years.

Recrewt

I can remember watching Star Trek ToS on TV as a small child so it is impossible for me to be unbiased about it.  That said, when I watched it again recently I thought it stood up pretty well.  As with any sci-fi series, there is good and bad.

As for TNG, well it's generally accepted that the first couple of series were patchy but it does get good after that. 

TordelBack

Elaan of Troyus is not a great episode, in fairness, and any enjoyment probably depends on your threshold for 1950s ideas about women.  The worst of it is, without the non-pun of the various names it wouldn't be half so irritating.  Didn't stop Next Generation making several episodes with the same plot, mind.

Dark Jimbo

I've now reached series 6 of Steptoe and Son. Previously I'd only seen whatever random episodes BBC2 would show to plug a gap in schedules, which is usually the colour 70's episodes, so virtually everything thus far has been new to me. To be honest, I prefer the early 60's epidoes, if anything - it hadn't had time to lapse into catchphrase and formula and it's much darker stuff.

It's so perfectly pitched and observed. Returning to the kitchen sink gloom of a British sitcom feels like coming home after watching various squeaky, glossy US series - I definately prefer my comedy laced with a bit o' darkness, and Steptoe can be as black as it gets. The pilot episode perfectly encapsulates this - having spent the episode making plans to leave his hated dad and the life he loathes, Harold has a moment of clarity towards the end and breaks down in tears as the sad truth dawns that it's already far too late to change his fate, and he's doomed to end his days alone and bitter in the horrible little scrapyard, committed to a failing buisness in a dying industry. It's uncomfortable viewing, and the audience are completely silent for the last ten minutes. And there's no last-minute punchline to undercut the tension - Albert gently shepherds him back inside for a cup of tea, thereby confirming Harold's doom once and for all, and the credits roll. Bleak as you like - and yet this is the pilot for a sitcom!
@jamesfeistdraws

Devons Daddy

I own all the star trek episodes!!
But I cannot bring myself to get past season 1 of enterprise.
Damn that is bad.

Currently watching boardwalk empire, in marathon sessions.

Will be repurchasing BSG in digital format this 25th!! Hi def with hall the extras me thinks!! Webisodes commentary and so forth.
Now that's an addiction worthy of feeding
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Definitely Not Mister Pops

I forgot to mention the absolute worst thing about Cheers.

NOBODY ON THAT SHOW CAN PULL A FUCKING DECENT PINT!
You may quote me on that.

Tiplodocus

Quote from: Devons Daddy on 10 December, 2013, 02:56:57 PM
I own all the star trek episodes!!
But I cannot bring myself to get past season 1 of enterprise.
Damn that is bad.

Never seen all of Season 1 either but the end of Season 2, Season 3 & 4 are great stuff. Really.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Devons Daddy

Enterprise is better after season 1?? Ok I try then It failed for me it was neither Star Trek past or future and the captain was to well known for my liking.
I give it a go then.
If I can find a working DVD player somewhere in the house.

I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

GrinningChimera

Adventure Time

Just watched the first episode of season 1. The theme music is annoying. In saying that I complain to my girlfriend about the intro music to Sherlock too. Maybe I just have too high expectations when it comes to intro music. Still not sure if I really "get" the show yet. I was expecting something similar to The Marvelous Misadventures Of Flapjack. With all of the bright colours and crazyness going on, I'd imagine this would be crazy with some kind of natural sensory enhancement. What does everyone else think of this show?

Theblazeuk

Hm I love the intro to Adventure Time.

It's Adventure Time! That's all I want from it.

It's good with some kind of sensory enhancement, I can confirm (but will deny everything if pressed)

About to take a break from the Shield for the last season of Luther

pictsy

OK I have ditched Star Trek TOS.  I can't watch every episode.

I have watched the entire first series of Star Trek TNG, though and it is soooooo much better.  I am now onto the second series which is already showing improvements. 

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Mister Pops on 10 December, 2013, 03:45:07 PM

It's America: no one knows what a decent pint is.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 16 December, 2013, 02:38:37 PM
Quote from: Mister Pops on 10 December, 2013, 03:45:07 PM

It's America: no one knows what a decent pint is.

Yeah they all drink it cold, the fiends.