Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Quote from: Professor Bear on 10 February, 2014, 02:29:32 PM
the appearance of the truly terrible Revolution on our screens right now may give Jericho a sheen and charm it didn't have at the time. 

I'd never even heard of Revolution before, Pro - it sounds like utter pish!

radiator

Everyone seems to be raving about HBO's True Detective at the moment. We watched the first episode last night, and it's ok but really bleak. A bit hard to get invested. Might continue, might not.

Hawkmumbler

Started watching Luther from the beginning the other night. Only saw one episode of season 3 before now. 4 episodes into season 1 and I can only say it's the mutt's nut's. A blooming amazing series all round.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 11 February, 2014, 11:31:11 AM
Started watching Luther from the beginning the other night. Only saw one episode of season 3 before now. 4 episodes into season 1 and I can only say it's the mutt's nut's. A blooming amazing series all round.

Series 1 had the best cliffhanger I think I've ever seen. Never been so anxious to know what happened next. Series 2 really suffered in comparison, if only because the first series was so good.
@jamesfeistdraws

HdE

Just finished off a few episodes of season 2 of 'The Killing'.

Brilliant! While the first season smacked a little too much of manufactured tension, and aggravated me a little with all the twists (to the point where characters on screen started complaining about it!) this second season is top notch. Being exactly half the length of the first season, there's a need to pack more into each episode, which the writers have accomplished without making things feel rushed.

Thomas Buch is now one of my favourite characters in anything. I couldn't tell you why. He just has this likeable quality about him.

Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Hawkmumbler

Well that was a fecking phenomenal conclusion to season one of Luther! Oh my lawds I haven't been so exhilarated by an ending in years, so much so that I've instantly gone out and bought season 2.  :D

HOO-HAA

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 13 February, 2014, 10:36:33 PM
Well that was a fecking phenomenal conclusion to season one of Luther! Oh my lawds I haven't been so exhilarated by an ending in years, so much so that I've instantly gone out and bought season 2.  :D

Luther's wonderful. Each season's a winner. Enjoy!

Theblazeuk

I am really struggling with the last 2 eps. The vigilante guy doesnt do it for me.

Magnetica

I decided it was time I finally finished off Lost...I could n't bear not knowing what was going on. I know I could have just read it on Wikipedia...but that's not the same. All I had to do was stop watching re-runs of Star Trek on Pick TV and fast forward through the non Liverpool games on MOTD!

So I have recently watched season 3,4,5 and 6 back to back. I know the series has its detractors but I thought it was great. I really liked the non-linear story telling techniques (I could start going on about ABC Warriors but will restrain myself) and how all the characters interacted. I also really liked the fact that something that happened way back in an earlier series has significance later - it did seem to me that the writers had a definite plan all along. I think watching it at the rate of 8 or so episodes a week really helped - I have seen criticism that a plot thread would be left dangling for 5 or 6 episodes..well for me that was only a couple of days so it did n't matter.

The non-linear story telling really came to the fore when something was shown to have happened to a character and at first you thought you had missed something only for it to be explained later. Have to say the first couple of times I fast forwarded through the previous episode to see if I had missed something; once you got used to it it was great.

The other really stand out aspect of it was the huge and fantastic ensemble cast. I am hard pressed to think of anything else that has so many memorable characters. A bit like The Wire, it was intentionally hard to tell who the good guys were and who the bad guys were. Indeed by the end I was even rooting for Ben.

As to the ending and the explanation of the island. At first I was left feeling a lot was left unexplained, but a trawl through the Net showed this actually was n't the case and that most things did get explained...you just had to be paying enough attention.

I think overall it was one of the best series ever. I certainly didn't think I would have said that when it first started- I think at the time Buffy and Angel had just finished and Enterprise wasn't quite filling the hole left by TNG and DS9.

HOO-HAA

Just wrapped on The Bridge Season 2. A good run, for sure, but not up to the very high standard of the first season, I felt.

Tjm86

Picked up Fringe at Christmas.  Currently on season 3.  Enjoying it much more in a compressed form.  Some of the one liners are absolute class.

Colin YNWA

Just finished Breaking Bad and while there seems like point just simply nodding my head in dumb agreement with all the superlatives that get thrown at it - here I am nodding my head in dumb agreement with all the superlatives that get thrown at it.

I think the best thing I can say is its as good as, probably better than The Sopranos. From me there is literally no better compliment I can pay in TV terms at least.

pictsy

I am about to conclude my Star Trek TNG binge with only the last (double) episode of series 7 left to watch (possibly next week as I'm off to spend time with my partner for the next five days).  It has been a great journey and it is certainly superior to ToS in every regard.  Especially the wonderful third and fourth series.  My partner has started watching TNG from the beginning recently as well.

Once this has been concluded I am going to move on to Star Trek DS9.  DS9 is my favourite of the bunch and I have been looking forward to watching it again for a while now.

Dandontdare

Quote from: pictsy on 26 February, 2014, 11:59:13 PM
I am about to conclude my Star Trek TNG binge with only the last (double) episode of series 7 left to watch (possibly next week as I'm off to spend time with my partner for the next five days).  It has been a great journey and it is certainly superior to ToS in every regard.  Especially the wonderful third and fourth series.  My partner has started watching TNG from the beginning recently as well.

Once this has been concluded I am going to move on to Star Trek DS9.  DS9 is my favourite of the bunch and I have been looking forward to watching it again for a while now.

That last time-hopping double parter is one of my favourites.

TordelBack

Quote from: Dandontdare on 27 February, 2014, 01:19:22 AM
That last time-hopping double parter is one of my favourites.

Yeah, it's magnificent.  The gentle concluding scene is basically as good as these things get.

Shame they fecked it all up just a few months later.