Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 22 April, 2014, 10:26:19 AM
Deadwood was amazing. It was the Wire of the West. Everything was so dirty in that town and a showdown at noon rarely solved anything.

This. I lluuuuuuurrrvve Deadwood. It is as deep as the sea - I find something new in it every time I watch it - people harp on about dying being a big deal in GoT and it is but the deaths of characters in Deadwood still haunt me to this day. :'(

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 22 April, 2014, 04:45:51 PM
This. I lluuuuuuurrrvve Deadwood. It is as deep as the sea - I find something new in it every time I watch it - people harp on about dying being a big deal in GoT and it is but the deaths of characters in Deadwood still haunt me to this day. :'(

I don't feel nearly as attached to Deadwood as some, but the tragic story of Reverend Smith remains one of the most affecting things I've ever seen...  :'( It's like the last episode of Band of Brothers, I just can't watch without shedding a manly tear or two.
@jamesfeistdraws

Theblazeuk

And every one of us heard a gnarled Ian McShane snarl "Cocksucker" at least once just now.

TordelBack

Deadwood did something amazing in making the mythical appallingly ugly, and then finding real beauty in all that ugliness. Anytime I'm made to feel a prude for disliking some specific bit of profanity or finding some sex-thing unnecessarily exploitative I remind myself that I love every minute of Deadwood.

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: TordelBack on 22 April, 2014, 08:04:18 PM
Deadwood did something amazing in making the mythical appallingly ugly, and then finding real beauty in all that ugliness. Anytime I'm made to feel a prude for disliking some specific bit of profanity or finding some sex-thing unnecessarily exploitative I remind myself that I love every minute of Deadwood.

Beautifully, beautifully said. It's such a shame that Milch's incomprehensible John From Cincinnati & horse-deathtacular Luck didn't capture the same magic. Although the latter has some very strong scenes - Dustin Hoffman versus Mike Gambon both in full powerful Al Swearengen mode is quite stunning. Frustratingly HBO passed on his next project 'The Money' which was going to feature the brilliant Brendan Gleeson as a mighty patriach and cynical media mogul set in modern New York. Sigh. We'll always have Deadwood though...

Goaty

Deadwood was so masterpiece! I agree about those deaths left long in your memory. Great casting to be honest.

Link Prime

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 22 April, 2014, 04:52:44 PM
the tragic story of Reverend Smith remains one of the most affecting things I've ever seen...  :'( It's like the last episode of Band of Brothers, I just can't watch without shedding a manly tear or two.

Agreed, a hard watch.
I only 'discovered' Deadwood a few years ago, and gorged on the lot in a few weeks.
TV has rarely been better.

Goaty

Farscape... back on Pick TV from last night :)

TordelBack

Now settled in to Season 3 of our Buffy rewatch.  I actually can't get over how good this show is, or how fast it moves - both in terms of pacing within episodes (which almost never sag) and in terms of how relentlessly new characters and situations are introduced, developed and even discarded.  Wherever I noticed weaknesses earlier on, these have been thoroughly addressed - even Boreanaz' Angel, the great wooden lemon of the first season, has passed through his far more entertaining but ultimately terribly hammy evil incarnation in Season 2 to become an interesting well-acted character, and his previously rather unconvincing relationship with Buffy now feels genuine. 

Most fascinating is the time spent establishing the rich and quite touching central family group of Buffy, Giles and Joyce: all the broader, flashier relationship stuff is anchored by this core. 

Probably the most consistently satisfying re-watch of a long-running genre show that I've yet undertaken: at no point is there any sense of dutifully slogging on to get to the 'good stuff' - it's all good stuff.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: TordelBack on 28 April, 2014, 01:17:44 AM
Now settled in to Season 3 of our Buffy rewatch.  I actually can't get over how good this show is, or how fast it moves - both in terms of pacing within episodes (which almost never sag) and in terms of how relentlessly new characters and situations are introduced, developed and even discarded.

Oddly enough, we're currently doing the same (albeit only mid-way through Season 2) with much the same feeling — it really is that good, and it depresses me that:

1) There are people who still refuse to watch Buffy on the basis of what they think the series is going to be like

2) Eleven years since its cancellation, it's still so singularly good.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

8-Ball

BtVS was (and still is) the best TV show... ever. I wasn't a big fan to begin with when BBC2 were showing it but I took a gamble and bought the season one box set on VHS at the end of 1999. That was me hooked.
Whatever happened to Rico, Dolman and Cadet Paris? I'm sooo out of the loop.

Goaty

Generation War - BBC2

The story of five German friends in the years from 1941 to 1945: five young women and men whose friendship was meant to last their whole lives.

Berlin, the summer of 1941. Wilhelm, Friedhelm, Charlotte, Viktor and Greta meet to say their farewells. Little do they know how war will change them.

I miss 1st Part of 3-Parts series of it last Saturday and lucky to catch it on iPlayer, what a great opening episode, looking forward to watch next 2 episodes.

Also it subtitled as it filmed in Germans.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 28 April, 2014, 07:37:06 AM
Buffy ...Eleven years since its cancellation,

so that means 17 years since it began - holy crap, where does the time go?

.......in my day, this was all fields

TordelBack

Colin YNWA

Okay so I'm currently just starting on The Wire. Now to be fair to it its reputation is such that to match it would be a challenge and I'm only three episodes in BUT... well it was coming... its good, very good... but its not anywhere near Breaking Bad or The Sopranos so far for me.

The issue I have is the core of the story isn't massively interesting, or rather original. I've seen a gazillion tales of how grim and gritty it is being a bizzy in downtown... wherever, be it Baltimore in this case, or New York, or LA - all over it would seem. How hard bitten the cops are, how damaged their live and corrupted the system etc etc. The Police side of things really isn't doing anything new. The characters seem born out of cliche... on that side of the coin. Now given the experience of the writers I have no reason to suspect its not accurate, but as drama its hardly original now, or back in 2002 when it started.

The gangs side is far more compelling and refreshing and those elements I enjoy much more. On the whole though I'm a little underwhelmed.

Is it a victim of my expectations? Will it get better? Am I just being daft?