Main Menu

The Black Dog Thread

Started by Grugz, 02 January, 2016, 09:54:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 16 May, 2019, 07:03:54 PM

Glad you're on the up, Hawkie.
Many thanks El Sharko, and a shed is a fine home for a boarder such as yourself. Adds a layer of Moore mystic.  ;)

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 16 May, 2019, 07:42:52 PM
Fair play. Took me till my 40s to own my own place, and that's a only a boat.
It was a punt, and needed a character reference and proof of steady income. All fair enough, but it's a long term plan. The property market is a nightmare even with so many empty houses and flats. It's honestly been a great source of anxiety for me for awhile.

The Legendary Shark

I haven't been able to write anything for months. All my enthusiasm's gone :(

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 18 May, 2019, 12:40:13 PM

I'm still feeling the benefits of David Burns' books, and they've given me a bit more enthusiasm for life.  His methods take time and a lot of hard work but they're the best self-help system I've found (and by grud I've tried a lot).

One personal benefit is that they've stopped me being attracted to a woman I knew was bad news.  That may not sound like much but it's improved my life hugely.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

IAMTHESYSTEM

Hell, no LS. I'm reading On Writing by Stephen King of IT, Salem's Lot, Carrie and a squillion other Horror tales fame, and he states that stories are like fossils, a bit rare but if you keep looking you'll find one. So you might find you're having a break at the moment then that bonkers tale will come together when you least expect it. Keep the faith Sharky!
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Rately

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 19 May, 2019, 01:50:02 PM

Hell, no LS. I'm reading On Writing by Stephen King of IT, Salem's Lot, Carrie and a squillion other Horror tales fame, and he states that stories are like fossils, a bit rare but if you keep looking you'll find one. So you might find you're having a break at the moment then that bonkers tale will come together when you least expect it. Keep the faith Sharky!

On Writing is absolutely superb. I'll have to add that to my Kindle list so i can have  a re-read.

Keep on keepin' on, Sharky!

Hawkmumbler

Hope you get your mojo back when the time is right and it's makes you feel your best, Sharkers. Bring back the monthly writing comp I say!

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Something Fishy

Hope your energy comes back Shark.

I can only speak from experience but a very long break from working this year really allowed me to heal and get  some energy back and I've been able to get back to it, albeit part time (and had been very poorly this past year or two).  Don't give up hope mate.

paddykafka

Hi Sharky,

I tried pasting a couple of suitably inspiring and humorous meme images for you but - probably owing to my own technical ineptitude, lol - it wasn't possible. So below are a couple of links / addresses to them instead.

Hope you find your Mojo again soon and all the best - Paddy

http://itsbloggerintime.com/wp-content/uploads/ktz/funny-motivational-quotes-memes-with-meme-quo-flickr-2-37teqxc0fmfoonkgwoiayy.jpg

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTcxmMn9QfftrInRLYSn_dfx9HBlnuJWcxgJdWmMzxQXAsC_w4r

Theblazeuk

Happy to support some of the ol' supportive shitpost.

The Legendary Shark

Ha, thanks, guys.

Hoping to be back on the words before long.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Hawkmumbler

Mental health has been very squiffy these last few weeks. A lot of late (early?) finishes at work throwing my sleep pattern out of the window, a few too many close calls and extensions to assignments at Uni having me believing i'm not good enough, sudden and inexplicable bouts of crying and anxiety, an unhealthy obsession with the fact i'm fast approaching another year of what feels like no progress, age, comparing myself to other people I barely know, and a profound sense of melancholy.

The worst of the black dogs hasn't returned but it's been on the mind, with nearly 2 years cut free i'm not eager to break a record.

Tjm86

There must be something in the air at the moment.  If you would like help proof reading assignments give us a shout (I know this year is pretty much over but still ... )

The worst thing about the canine is that it requires diligence to keep it at bay.  That takes energy and effort.  That drains.  It doesn't produce the full on effects when you've been at it for a while but it doesn't help either.

Have a bit of self compassion.  You've achieved more than you give yourself credit for.  One thing I've learned over the years as well comparing myself with people I hardly know is that when I do get to know them better their lives aren't anywhere near as great as I thought.  You'll probably find you've made miles more progress than some of them.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 18 June, 2019, 02:01:35 AM
Mental health has been very squiffy these last few weeks. A lot of late (early?) finishes at work throwing my sleep pattern out of the window, a few too many close calls and extensions to assignments at Uni having me believing i'm not good enough, sudden and inexplicable bouts of crying and anxiety, an unhealthy obsession with the fact i'm fast approaching another year of what feels like no progress, age, comparing myself to other people I barely know, and a profound sense of melancholy.

The worst of the black dogs hasn't returned but it's been on the mind, with nearly 2 years cut free i'm not eager to break a record.

Hang in there. It feels like it's going to last forever but it won't.

I'm also a demon for comparing myself to other people.  Have found CBT helpful (specifically David Burns' stuff which I mentioned before; it all looked a bit ridiculous when I looked at it first but it's really helped, way more than medication).
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Proudhuff

Hey Shark, hope things improve and you start word hunting again, keep moving forward, its the only way.

Hawk, stick to the path, its like an oil tanker turning, those gradual improvement all add up, look where you were years ago and where you are now... and the best bit of advice I ever got: Don't beat yourself up, there's a world out there trying to do that.
DDT did a job on me