Main Menu

Prog 1966 - The Great Brain Robbery

Started by Colin YNWA, 30 January, 2016, 11:03:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg M.

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 03 February, 2016, 09:49:29 AM
At this point she must be pushing 60 so to see a few wrinkles in their is brilliant as a detail many artists overlook.

She's about 55 - aging with Anderson.

TordelBack

Who was the first artist to do the 'old shoulder pads/helmet' thing for flashbacks? I have a suspicion it was Simon Fraser, but that (Blood Cadets) seems very recent to be the first.

Greg M.

Quote from: Tordelback on 03 February, 2016, 10:07:21 AM
Who was the first artist to do the 'old shoulder pads/helmet' thing for flashbacks? I have a suspicion it was Simon Fraser, but that (Blood Cadets) seems very recent to be the first.

I'm pretty sure you're right, and that it was Fraser in 2000 - I remember it seemed a very novel approach at the time. It's hard to think of many other stories prior to that which involved significant flashback elements - maybe there's something in The Cal Files? Higgins definitely did the retro-uniform a few years later in 'Monkey on my Back'.

Leigh S

That is an interesting question.... I suppose the first starting place would be flashback stories/ stories that required a flashback... I'm thinking A Case for Treatment has some flashback scenes... Oz does....

Skullmo

In oz I know Brendan McCarthy Drew dredd with a wider helmet, I hope we will now see a story which explains that he was trailing a new type of suit.

It's a joke. I was joking.

ZenArcade

Hmmmm, Harsh looks 60. We're all rapt by the colour of Dredd's uniform, do we really wanna go back to the age retarding tech in year 2238? Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

TordelBack

Quote from: Leigh S on 03 February, 2016, 03:47:50 PM
That is an interesting question.... I suppose the first starting place would be flashback stories/ stories that required a flashback... I'm thinking A Case for Treatment has some flashback scenes... Oz does....

You're right! Case for Treatment has the 'he ain't heavy' scene as a flashback, and Dredd is wearing the helmet with the curvy visor surrounds (the pads aren't very clear). Might be more a case of a straight homage to the original McMahon image, but I reckon it counts.

Magnetica

Great Prog this week.

As with others I really like Mark Sexton's art on Dredd and would definitely like to see him become a regular. I think Skullmo is correct about the uniform - the changes are due to artistic impression changing and it has not under gone any actual changes (except when it changed from blue to black material...er sorry..I'll get my coat).

I have always liked the smaller shoulder pads and eagles and think they make more sense in the real world, as evidenced by the movie uniform. I also think there is something cool about showing the stars on the shoulder pad...every much early Ezquerra & McMahon (which was actually before I started getting the Prog).

The story is great too. I am hoping this will feed into a longer ongoing story thread.

Always great to see [spoiler]DeMarco [/spoiler]in the Prog. Not sure why others have spoiler tagged it, but I will follow suit.

Top thrill this week has got to be Strontium Dog. What was a good story just hit top gear and his heading toward "great".

Kingdom - another slice of what Abnett does best. The Order - ok seems we are getting to it now.

Ro-busters. Ok so what is up with the art this week? I don't understand the glaring change from last week. Does anyone know?

I had totally forgotten Nurse Angel, so it was good to be reminded.

Proudhuff

Quote from: Greg M. on 03 February, 2016, 10:05:06 AM
Quote from: Hawkmonger on 03 February, 2016, 09:49:29 AM
At this point she must be pushing 60 so to see a few wrinkles in their is brilliant as a detail many artists overlook.

She's about 55 - aging with Anderson.

Hopefully when she hits the menopause she'll stop all that stomping off in the Huff by Dredd and tell him what's what.
When Anderson hits it, there will be blocks levelled I tell ye!
DDT did a job on me

Hawkmumbler

Excellent prog! Dredd, The Order, Stronty Dog and even Kingdom where on form, whilst Ro-Busters was tinfoil hattery of the highest order and actually rather boring.

vzzbux

Flashback in the Dredd story. Shouldn't the elbow pads be Yellow?

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Magnetica

Quote from: vzzbux on 05 February, 2016, 09:56:01 PM
Flashback in the Dredd story. Shouldn't the elbow pads be Yellow?

Not necessarily. A quick flick through Case Files One 1 tenth anniversary edition shows that in the early days the elbow pads where sometimes shown as yellow but were also shown as green on other occasions, so I guess either is valid for a flashback.

jannerboyuk

Loved the flashback in Dredd, more importantly a very decent peg to start my subscription :) love getting it through the door on a Saturday morning

jannerboyuk

Frank

Quote from: Skullmo on 31 January, 2016, 12:03:21 PM
once again we have that 'easter egg' where the old Judge suits are depicted in the retro style. I am of the opinion that the judge outfit has not had an upgrade, it's just the way different artists have drawn it

It's fun, and you can treat it as shrewd visual shorthand denoting the passing of time - see the panel depicting the decrepit head of Sector Zero reflecting in his quarters, with his still-shiny Bank Raid-era helmet large in the foreground - or disregard it as artistic whimsy, as you please.

If Ghosts was a Dan Abnett story, Cheyenne's surname would definitely turn out to be Autumn. Instead, Mike Carroll gives us the brilliantly named arch villain, Judge Badger, who conspired with Tek Judge Peter Rabbit to bring down Chief Judge Mrs Tiggywinkle back in prog 26. Carroll myxomatosises his metaphors, with a Badger telling his flock they need to become ghosts to protect the sheep from wolves.

Badger's Just So story is filched from American Sniper, which is exactly the kind of sly subversion that tickled the young Pat Mills. Elder statesman Mills has abandoned coyness, but I agree with Skullmo that the effect is comedic. I don't buy conspiracy theories, but the baroque logic that underpins them is a fantastic hook to pin some puns, jobbie jokes, and classic Rojaws & Hammerstein dialogue upon.

Kingdom's the best thing in the comic. Bone Idol ...