Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sintec

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 17 September, 2021, 03:25:50 PM
It'll be interesting to see whether they list the remaining books ahead of time. Not far off 111 now, are we?

3 more deliveries will take use to 110. Next one after that will be the tail end of extension 1 and the beginning of extension 2. It does seem like they're determined to keep some of the 2nd extension under wraps. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. The cynic in me worries that's because they're worried people will drop out if they know what's coming.

Quote from: I, Cosh on 17 September, 2021, 03:31:54 PM
Don't remember if being infuriating at all. Rennie and Abnett are basically the only two current* writers who understand how to make a single episode work as both a complete story and part of the overall strip. Much preferable to get a one-off like that to keep the strip in the mind than nothing at all

That's fair, they did read as good self-contained episodes.

Quote from: Max Headroom on 17 September, 2021, 03:29:28 PM
Forgot to ask - does Defoe volume 2 include 'Frankensteiner'?

Not sure we'll know for a few weeks yet. No way to tell from the cover as it's the same creative team as some of the other stories.

IndigoPrime

We'll at least see from Forbidden Planet some of what's coming down the pipe. But with 29 books being £290, I suspect I'll drop out at 111, unless I 1) know precisely what's coming and 2) actually care about what's coming. I can always cherry pick if something tasty shows up. (Armoured Gideon! Come on!)

Jade Falcon

As I mentioned I've been stockpiling books due to not being in the mood for reading. I was looking forward to mercy heights after hearing about the premise and found it very meh. What seems like a silly complaint is having characters featured prominently on the cover yet they get bumped off quickly and seemingly without any real care. We lose a good chunk of the line up in no time

I was very disappointed with it, I feel a good idea struggling to get out.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

sintec

Quote from: Jade Falcon on 18 September, 2021, 02:03:10 PM
a good idea struggling to get out.

I think that's the perfect summary of the Mercy Heights stories.

Bad Andy

I'm stuck on Nemesis Book 3. Bloody John Hinckleton. Obviously a very visceral artist, but not a style that lends itself to telling comic strip stories, IMO. Not sure if the reproduction makes it even harder to work out wtf is going on. It's not that long ago I endured it on the Stront collection.

He doesn't appear to be in Book Four though. mind you Langley qualifies for a lot of the same criticism just IN COLOUR!

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Bad Andy on 19 September, 2021, 11:55:37 PM
I'm stuck on Nemesis Book 3. Bloody John Hicklenton. Obviously a very visceral artist, but not a style that lends itself to telling comic strip stories, IMO. Not sure if the reproduction makes it even harder to work out wtf is going on. It's not that long ago I endured it on the Stront collection.

It's funny, but this era of Nemesis was a lot more readable in the phonebooks - probably because Book VII was in volume 2, Book VIII in volume 3. In the Ultimate Collection all the Hicklenton material ends up together under the same covers, and it really does make it a bit of a slog to get through.

Hicklenton was a great artist and clearly a force of nature, but I don't think comics were ever the right fit.
@jamesfeistdraws

credo

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 20 September, 2021, 11:45:57 AM
It's funny, but this era of Nemesis was a lot more readable in the phonebooks - probably because Book VII was in volume 2, Book VIII in volume 3. In the Ultimate Collection all the Hicklenton material ends up together under the same covers, and it really does make it a bit of a slog to get through.

Having one book of Hinklenton after 2 from Bryan Talbot and a smattering of Kev O'Neill, then having the other one sandwiched between Roach, Flint, O'Neill and some 90s painty stuff is probably easier on the brain than Hinklenton-Roach-Hinklenton. I'd imagine the Roach stuff would get a bit lost in there?

Woolly

FWIW I don't think any other Nemesis artist quite captured the sheer evil of Torquemada better than Hicklenton.
I agree his storytelling at that stage of his career is problematic, but it's worth grinding through it - some of his panels and full page splashes are going to be burned into my brain forever!

Jade Falcon

Struggled with Indigo Prime, very much so, it just wasn't my thing.  I did read through Absalom in one go and quite enjoyed it though.  I do feel it was dragging a bit at the end though but still..
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

abelardsnazz

There's only five volumes of the extension left - hadn't we heard by now what the full contents of the first extension would be?

Bad Andy

Finally finished Nemesis.

Any recommendations for a palate cleaner? I've already done Dante, Ace Trucking, Robohunter and Strontium Dog

IndigoPrime

Dark Jimbo

@jamesfeistdraws

abelardsnazz

The Ezquerra or Kennedy Dredd volumes, or Firekind/Leatherjack.

Bad Andy

Think I read DR & Quinch. And I feel i have read Firekind recently.

So Brink. As I know next to nothing about it.

Ta.