Main Menu

Artists at their best

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 08 April, 2021, 11:10:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: The Corinthian on 08 April, 2021, 05:30:24 PM
Surely Luke Kirby is the definitive John Ridgway strip?

Re-reading this last night, completely agree, my gods it's beyond incredible. The B&W first series in particular, but the genius of his smoky colour work is a wonder to behold. On that score,  I'm going to offer up Alzheimer's Block as a close second. From the early days of full colour Dredds it stands out as a masterclass in what can be done, as well as delivering a deeply affecting story from what could have been thin pastiche. Not the best of the pages,  but the only one I could readily snag (via Frank Plowright).

Link Prime

Paul Marshall on Firekind, and his early work on Tyranny Rex.
Never better.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Magnetica on 09 April, 2021, 07:44:06 AM
Quote from: Dandontdare on 09 April, 2021, 12:28:41 AM
If you want one epic that had Dredd's classic artists all at the absolute peak of their powers, I'd say The Judge Child - we had Bolland's Jigsaw Man, Smith's Filmore Faro, McMahon's Angel Gang and Ezquerra's Murd the Oppressor.

Ezquerra didn't draw Murd during the Judge Child - that was McMahon. You are probably thinking of a later story when a bunch of old foes revisit Dredd that was drawn by Carlos.

I typed that and was drifting off to sleep and thought "hang on .. that wasn't Carlos at all"   :lol:

Still think judge Child has some stonking art though!

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Link Prime on 09 April, 2021, 09:30:49 AM
Paul Marshall on Firekind
Never better.

That was one I'd thought of too.  Perfection. 

On another John Smith-related note, for me Killing Time is my favourite Chris Weston work.  I know he's improved technically since then, but that strip was just made for his artwork of the time; all blood and guts and twisting flesh-shapes.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

TordelBack

Killing Time is magic, but I've a soft spot for Crazy Barry and Little Mo. Weston is a curious one because, like Talbot, I feel his very best work lies outside the Prog (Ministry of Space and The Twelve). Can't say that about many droids (D'Israeli?).

Uztarroz

Regarding Bisley, the more I look the more I find his black & white run on ABC to be stunning: He's firing on sight at everytone, taking no prisoners and letting everyone knows that he's here. He's taking chances, doing some crazy stuff...

He's still putting some details that he would later abandon... Absolutely stunning...

By the way, I have his run on the Fleetway ABC Warriors book 3 & 4, I have his Slaine color work and his Dredd ones, has he done anything else for 2000 AD or anyone else around that period?

Does anyone knows how to find some of his work before 2000 AD? Cannot find anything on the interwebs...

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Uztarroz on 09 April, 2021, 01:25:12 PM
Does anyone knows how to find some of his work before 2000 AD? Cannot find anything on the interwebs...

I may be misremembering, but I think ABC Warriors was pretty much Bisley's first comics work.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

broodblik

Bisley's first work was on ABC Warriors The Black Hole in prog 555-566 and 573-581. The art duties on the series was shared with S.M.S
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

BPP

Quote from: Magnetica on 08 April, 2021, 02:22:04 PM
Here are my choices:
Kevin Walker - Khronicles of Chaos.

Kev Walkers minimalist style in The Connection was his best, the rain soaked murky tale suited so well. I could have done with another 100 pages of that.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: BPP on 09 April, 2021, 03:46:19 PM
Kev Walkers minimalist style in The Connection was his best, the rain soaked murky tale suited so well.

I remember trying (and failing) to fathom the alchemy that was going on in the early episodes of Mandroid, with Walker's moody, smog-shrouded minimalism and Wagner's terse script combining to make episodes that somehow felt longer than their scant six pages.

Great as Satan's Island is, Mandroid left me feeling that a year or two of Kev as a properly-regular Dredd artist would have given us a version of MC-1 that felt as definitive as, say, Cam Kennedy's. (See also, Jock on that score.)
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

BPP

Would love to see Kev back with a suitable script - I think Rob Williams terse angry old Dredd is totally his ballpark.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

JayzusB.Christ

Some of the slightly less prominent artists here...

Rian Hughes - like the story or not (I kind of did), but Really and Truly.  That or Dare, even though that wasn't in the prog.  He did a great job on Robohunter, but as always with Robohunter, I'm thinking 'well, it's not Ian Gibson, but...'.

Simon Harrison - Revere Books 1 and 2, I think.  Book 3 was a bit too smooth and refined; Book 2 still looked rough and raw, which was how I liked his art.  A few pages from Strontium Dog too, if we're talking black and white; particularly those that showed Feral on his home turf of Milton Keynes.

Shaky Kane - Judge Planet maybe? The weirdness suited his art well.

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Richard

Many of these suggestions are from decades ago. We have Tom Foster right now.

Dog Deever

I really rate a lot of Belardinelli's work on Meltdown Man as some of his best work- week in week out there was  a lot of top-of-the-range stuff in there.

Also Colin McNeil's work on Insurrection.

More up to date? Phil Winslade on Lawless.

Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

Woolly

Brian Bolland - Judge Death Lives. The panel where Dredd is striding up the stairs after Fire is incredible!

Henry Flint - Dead Zone. Every page so well directed and packed with detail, and his Dredd has never looked more solid!

Mick McMahon - Gotta be his Slaine work for me. All of it.

John Ridgeway - Absolutely Luke Kirby, very closely followed by the Dead Man. The perfect artist for horror in my view.

Dermot Power - Treasures of Britain. He really nailed it on this one, there's a romantic element to his work here that really elevates the story. He also paints a fantastic Ukko!

Simon Bisley - Horned God book 2. He was, as Alan Grant said, a force of nature! Probably influenced me more than anything did this.

Steve Parkhouse - The Old Straight Track, Luke Kirby. Wasn't a fan when he first took over, but this is perfect stuff! He was the only good thing about Big Dave too.

King Carlos - Everything. Even Helter Skelter. Every page he ever produced is a joy to behold, for so many reasons. Hail to the King x

Jim Baike - Skizz. So much character and emotion in this one, his designs for everyone are timeless!