Main Menu

Dave Evans, R.I.P.

Started by Mike Carroll, 07 May, 2021, 11:32:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

The internet is a funny old place, not least on boards where you so often hide behind pseudonyms. It's hard to get the measure of a person. I never felt that about Dave. I never met the man, but he always seemed like the best of us. It's not fair that he's no longer with us, bar in memory.

Professor Bear

Gut-punched.
Was working on a thing with him at the moment and his contribution has gone far beyond just the lettering, much as it has for all the time I've been dabbling in indie comics and had the good fortune to work with him.  Nurturing and patient to a fault.

Godspeed, Dave.

IAMTHESYSTEM

Awful, dreadful news. He was a fantastic creator who produced outstanding work, and it's just horrendous we won't be hearing from him again. I'm drinking several stouts tonight in his memory, that's for sure.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

dancornwell

Really can't take this in. Dave was the guy who gave me a chance. He gave a chance to so many. I can say wholeheartedly that I would not be doing what I do for a living if not for Dave. He was a warm, kind, funny and a genuine good guy. A huge presence if the UK scene, both publications and convention scene. Really hard to take this awful news in. Going to miss his warm character at pretty much every convention I've been to. Its just not going to be the same now is it. I'll raise a glass to you mate at the next convention.
Rest in peace Dave and my deepest sympathies to all his family and friends. X

Eamonn Clarke

Oh jeez this is terrible news.   :(
Always such a delightful presence at conventions and at the bar afterwards.
If anyone can tell his family how loved he was by the whole 2000AD community please do.

Give all your loved ones a hug and be kind to them, and yourselves. None of us know what might happen the next day.

dossa1uk

Dave was kind enough to take a chance on two of my scripts for Zarjaz and Dogbreath. My first published work.

I can't overemphasise how encouraging that was, and how much of a thrill it was to even be considered, let alone published. I think of all of those other people, all encouraged and enthused by him, from just the excitement of seeing their work in print for the first time, all the way up to finding a way to make it as a career.

That's a phenomenal legacy.

My deepest condolences to his friends and family, and all in the comics community who are feeling this loss so keenly.

DrJomster

So, so sorry to hear this terrible news. My heartfelt condolences to family and friends.

The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: dancornwell on 07 May, 2021, 01:38:57 PM
Really can't take this in. Dave was the guy who gave me a chance. He gave a chance to so many. I can say wholeheartedly that I would not be doing what I do for a living if not for Dave. He was a warm, kind, funny and a genuine good guy. A huge presence if the UK scene, both publications and convention scene. Really hard to take this awful news in. Going to miss his warm character at pretty much every convention I've been to. Its just not going to be the same now is it. I'll raise a glass to you mate at the next convention.

Heh. I remember the email from John asking if you and [redacted] other Dogbreath artist was reliable and we both said you. Such a pleasure to see your career blossom. I know Dave took a kick out of that too.

Jim_Campbell

Tried to find some words. They don't do justice either to the measure of the man, or the enormity of the loss, but I had to try. I can't think of words I've ever wanted to write less, but needed to write more. Dave Evans — RIP
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

dancornwell

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 07 May, 2021, 01:56:57 PM

Heh. I remember the email from John asking if you and [redacted] other Dogbreath artist was reliable and we both said you. Such a pleasure to see your career blossom. I know Dave took a kick out of that too.

None of it possible if not for you guys. Sometimes I wish I could have told him to his face, though I probably did every time I saw him. Wish I could again.
Whenever I get asked advice in breaking into comics I always, ALAWAYS, recommend Futurequake Press. I was only messaging him the other week too.
Hope you are bearing up well, though obviously that's a stupid thing to say at this time. Despite how divided the comic community can sometime seem, Dave was always a warm, welcoming presence. Really isn't going to be the same.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: dancornwell on 07 May, 2021, 02:14:50 PM
Quote from: Richmond Clements on 07 May, 2021, 01:56:57 PM

None of it possible if not for you guys. Sometimes I wish I could have told him to his face, though I probably did every time I saw him. Wish I could again.
Whenever I get asked advice in breaking into comics I always, ALAWAYS, recommend Futurequake Press. I was only messaging him the other week too.
Hope you are bearing up well, though obviously that's a stupid thing to say at this time. Despite how divided the comic community can sometime seem, Dave was always a warm, welcoming presence. Really isn't going to be the same.

He knew. Don't worry. He knew. lso: christ i miss my best friend. (sorry about making this about me )

Dog Deever

Ah man, don't know what to say, I only just re-established contact with him after a long spell away- Dave was a fantastic guy, absolutely top notch human being.
Sad news.
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

Funt Solo

His kindness, generosity, patience and care shone through, and that's from someone who didn't know him very well. How can life be the same without such a constant benefit? RIP Bolt.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Enigmatic Dr X

Lock up your spoons!

Tiplodocus

Devastating news. Always a pleasure to see him either behind the Futurequake and Zarjaz table or at the bar. Had another lovely evening in his company at 2019 Thought Bubble. Hard to believe that it's the last.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!