Main Menu

My First Prog

Started by Barrington Boots, 13 May, 2021, 05:15:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

Quote from: Woolly on 13 May, 2021, 08:18:32 PM
I can never quite remember my first dip into Tharg's bulging sack of thrills, but I think it's the one that's got the Judge Dredd one-off 'An Elm Street Nightmare' in it. Buggered if I can find it on Barney!

Prog 635:
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

sheridan

Quote from: Funt Solo on 13 May, 2021, 05:40:35 PM
Prog 146 from 1980 - this was definitely my first prog, which I took to a grown-ups party. Some other kid about my age tried to steal it from me, which resulted in a tug-of-war and a Solomon-like result as the prog got ripped in two. My collecting was patchy at that point, and a regular order didn't start until around prog 178.

178 is a pretty good prog to start on - mid-Judge Child, beginning of Comic Rock (Nemesis) - Killer Watt and Meltdown Man...

sheridan

Quote from: Woolly on 13 May, 2021, 08:18:32 PM
I can never quite remember my first dip into Tharg's bulging sack of thrills, but I think it's the one that's got the Judge Dredd one-off 'An Elm Street Nightmare' in it. Buggered if I can find it on Barney!

Prog 635

sheridan

I was given a handful of progs by the neighbour when I was eight years old - this was a range from 308 (first appearance of Skizz) to 322.  The first one I actually bought was 330 (first appearance of Sláine).  I started buying regularly (but not managing every week, presumably due to distribution woes) from 335 (Nemesis Book III and the Moses Quest Quest) and finally put a reservation in at the newsagents with 350 (unfortunately just missing out on the end of Book III of Nem).

The Corinthian

Prog 207, which my dad bought for me because we lived in Croydon and this comic had a story about aliens stealing Croydon on the cover. Then Prog 214, which was my first encounter with Alan Moore. But I didn't get what 2000AD was about until the 1982 Sci-Fi Special - and started reading regularly soon after.

Kev Levell

Quote from: Woolly on 13 May, 2021, 08:23:31 PM
Quote from: Kev Levell on 13 May, 2021, 08:22:09 PM
I just recycled it last week, it was so heavily read it was falling apart!

You....   what?
Yep. RESYK job. Kindest thing for it. It's being broken down into its constituent parts as I type this I suspect!

Although I have plenty left in my classifieds thread that you are welcome to try to save from a similar fate... that needs an update fwiw - I have sold a few runs since I posted last.

If I'm not mistaken, I think the prog that Barrington Boots started this thread with is one from a little bundle I just sold him!

dweezil2

Flicked through my mate's Prog 1 at the time, but didn't buy my own until Prog 75.
The Cursed Earth was in full swing by this time, such exciting times!
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

rogue69

My first was Prog 2
I remember not being able to find prog 1 in any of my local newsagents, only took 10 years to get my hands on one

dossa1uk

I kinda have two. Prog 514 was the first Prog I bought with my own money. Steve Dillon cover, Cam on Dredd,  Bad Company and then...at the back...The Dead with some astounding weirdness from Milligan and Belardinelli. An odd Prog to start with, but most definitely enough to convince me to keep an eye out for it on the newsagent shelves with my pocket money. Pretty sure I only picked it up because some fluff like Mask was sold out.

And from earlier, as a wee nipper, digging out a comic from the comic box at infant school - I remember reading this weird comic that had people bouncing around in rubber balls in a big pinball building. It was only years later that I realised this was the Palais de Boing.

Swerty

I started at the beginning and told my friend at school about this brilliant new comic.He couldn't get a copy so I gave him mine!A lot of my friends got Prog 2 and paraded the streets with our biotronic stickers on our arms.Nowdays I tend to dip in and out of the progs.Usually when a classic character turns up.

scrotnig

Quote from: Funt Solo on 13 May, 2021, 07:53:42 PM
Going to guess that 280 is scrotnig's:

Yep I think that is the one. Thanks.

AlexF

I have vivid memories of my big brother coming home with Prog 439, and being more than a little awed by it.

But I didn't start reading the Prog properly myself until 651, can't beat a Carlos cover with a young boy on the front to generate excitement!

The Enigmatic Dr X

First ever prog was whatever one gave away a Buck Rogers sticker album.

But the first prog where I wanted the comic was 224. Judge Death Lives.
Lock up your spoons!

sheridan

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 14 May, 2021, 08:02:59 AM
First ever prog was whatever one gave away a Buck Rogers sticker album.

But the first prog where I wanted the comic was 224. Judge Death Lives.

Buck Rogers came with Prog 212.

Dandontdare

I bought the first three for the free gifts (I was easily swayed when I was 10), and then maybe two or three random progs over the first year.

I was allowed a couple of comics on the weekly paper bill but had to buy any others out of my pocket money, and from about the mid 50s I realised I was buying it pretty much every week, so Whizzer & Chips had to go. The earliest prog in my collection from when I started saving them rather than just chucking them out is prog 76, or what's left of it. Loads of my early progs have no covers, all the star-scans, games and cut out figures have long since been assembled and lost, not to mention classic panels that I cut out and stuck on my school folders (If leafing through, you'd find a big hole where "gaze into the fist of Dredd" should be).