Main Menu

Sandman TV series coming to Netfix

Started by rogue69, 29 January, 2021, 09:33:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogue69

Netflix have announced the cast for their 10 episode Sandman series casting Tom Sturridge as Dream,  Gwendoline Christie as Lucifer, Vivienne Acheampong as Lucienne, Boyd Holbrook as The Corinthain, Charles Dance as Roderick Burgess, Asim Chaudhry as Abel, and Sanjeev Bhaskar as Cain.

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/sandman-netflix-series-cast-1234894383/?cx_testId=49&cx_testVariant=cx_1&cx_artPos=5#cxrecs_s

pictsy

This could be a disaster, but I dig these casting choices so I have a little hope.  I might even try and watch it when it's released.  Probably should watch Doom Patrol Season 2 first, though.

TordelBack

IndigoPrime

Gwendoline Christie as Lucifer is a bit of an odd one. (I don't care about the gender swap, but she looks very different from any incarnation of the character on the page or in my head.)

wedgeski

The regulars on this forum have a truly fatalistic attitude to new TV. :-|

Do we not remember Watchmen, which was supposed to end all TV as we know it, yet was possibly the best show of the year?

If it's bad, too bad. It's not the end of the world. If sorry-ass comic-to-movie conversions really bothered us, we'd have all quit 2000AD in 1995.

Tjm86

... or there is always the brouhaha over the suggestion that Starbuck would be female in the BSG reboot ...

No, it's a fair point.  Personally I was interested by the choice. I could certainly see it working.

I think my problem is with the success rate on some of these conversions.  Preacher really did not work for me.  Watchmen was okay but best show of the year?  (well okay, maybe considering the competition ... then again ... Expanse?).  Walking Dead decided to emulate the main characters and finally ground me down ...

At the end of the day I'll give it a go and see how I get along with it.  I'm actually quite interested to see what they make of the Diner storyline. 

pictsy

Quote from: wedgeski on 30 January, 2021, 01:57:47 PM

Do they?  I can't say I've noticed that peculiarity.

The Legendary Shark

I am of the "wait and see" school of thought. I mean, nobody sets out to make an awful tv show so I might as well trust in their skills and intentions at least enough to watch it.

No matter how faithful, or otherwise, a thing remains to the source, I always try to enjoy it for what it is.

That said, I'm looking forward to this.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

Quote from: wedgeski on 30 January, 2021, 01:57:47 PM

Speaking for myself, I just can't see what I enjoy about the Sandman comic working for me on TV (or even escaping the 90s) - hence my lack of enthusiasm. Not bothered about it being faithful (neither The Boys nor Umbrella Academy are particularly slavish, and I enjoy both of those), and not predicting it's going to be bad, just that I don't have any real interest in seeing it televised. I also had no interest in the Watchmen TV series, and still don't.

I commented on the cast, because it has plenty of good, interesting choices.

pictsy

Quote from: TordelBack on 30 January, 2021, 05:23:20 PM
Speaking for myself, I just can't see what I enjoy about the Sandman comic working for me on TV (or even escaping the 90s) - hence my lack of enthusiasm. Not bothered about it being faithful (neither The Boys nor Umbrella Academy are particularly slavish, and I enjoy both of those), and not predicting it's going to be bad, just that I don't have any real interest in seeing it televised. I also had no interest in the Watchmen TV series, and still don't.

I commented on the cast, because it has plenty of good, interesting choices.

I have similar feelings.

As for myself, I don't watch much TV.  At the moment I'm watching one episode of B5 per day. 

I love the Sandman comics so a TV show is a curiosity for me and, yes, the cast is interesting.

Regardless, I'd prefer to read the comics.  It's fortunate I have them in my collection :D

Mardroid

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 30 January, 2021, 01:41:39 PM
Gwendoline Christie as Lucifer is a bit of an odd one. (I don't care about the gender swap, but she looks very different from any incarnation of the character on the page or in my head.)

Curiously my reaction was kind of the opposite. I thought, "Really? They're casting a woman as Lucifer? Heavy handed attempt at diversity, etc, etc." Not that I'm a sexist prick, at least I hope not. I just think diversity should be dealt with correctly.

Then I saw her face (I didn't recognise the name you see. Remembering names isn't my strength, if I have any, but I recognise her now), and I thought "No, actually, that could work." 

No insult intended to the actress, but her face has that slightly androgynous* look which I think works with such a character, albeit not quite the same as how he looks in the comics.

pictsy

Quote from: Mardroid on 30 January, 2021, 11:32:47 PM
Curiously my reaction was kind of the opposite. I thought, "Really? They're casting a woman as Lucifer? Heavy handed attempt at diversity, etc, etc." Not that I'm a sexist prick, at least I hope not. I just think diversity should be dealt with correctly.

I'm going to take your word that you aren't a sexist prick.  My thoughts as a minority and a woman is even shitty attempts at diversity can be better than no representation.  It takes a serious mishandling for it to become harmful.  In those cases it is harmful to those being represented, usually through things like awful stereotyping.  I would personally advise anyone concerned with diversity and representation reflect on themselves.  I don't want to be confrontational on a forum that has rarely made me feel unwelcome, but what you said are almost the exact words I have heard from many bigoted arseholes and I don't believe that is what you intended.  I just had alarm bells ringing when I read this and thought I should express my thoughts in good faith in the hopes they happen to be helpful to you or anyone reading.

Aside from that, yes, I think she has a good look for Lucifer.  I'm curious if she has the range to do the authority Lucifer would require.  I haven't seen her in much, so I have little reference.  As far as aesthetic choice goes, the casting is spot on, in my book.  Honestly, I'm less concerned about casting than I am the writing.  Sandman needs top tier stories, it's kinda the point.

TordelBack

Is this where I point out that none of the angels in Sandman have genitalia of any description, including Lucifer.

The key issue with casting Gaiman's Lucifer is that he already has a current TV incarnation, a rather camp but very male Tom Ellis. So a completely distinct pick like Gwendoline Christie is a solid choice. I'd also like to see her get a role where she spread her (literal and metaphorical) wings. Captain Phasma was a disaster on every level.

pictsy

Quote from: TordelBack on 31 January, 2021, 01:01:02 PM
Is this where I point out that none of the angels in Sandman have genitalia of any description, including Lucifer.

You can, but it's not relevant.  They are coded and gendered male regardless and genitals mean nothing other than what genitals you have (or don't, in this case).

The key issue with casting Gaiman's Lucifer is that he already has a current TV incarnation, a rather camp but very male Tom Ellis. So a completely distinct pick like Gwendoline Christie is a solid choice. I'd also like to see her get a role where she spread her (literal and metaphorical) wings. Captain Phasma was a disaster on every level.

Does the Lucifer TV show count as a Gaiman (or Carey) adaption?  From what I understand it's so divorced from the source material that it is distinctly it's own thing.  I haven't watched it, btw.

TordelBack

Quote from: pictsy on 31 January, 2021, 01:53:14 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 31 January, 2021, 01:01:02 PM

You can, but it's not relevant.  They are coded and gendered male regardless and genitals mean nothing other than what genitals you have (or don't, in this case).

Well put!

Lucifer TV certainly ends up a long way from either Gaiman or Carey versions, but starts from the same place: an abdicated freshly-wingless Lucifer running a nightclub called Lux with Mazikeen as his doting lieutenant, and crossing over with the other DCTV shows so certainly intended to be an adaptation of thst character.