Main Menu

EAGLE PAD! New Official DREDD Photo (2011-07-16)

Started by CraveNoir, 16 July, 2011, 10:34:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vzzbux

All I am saying is if you see a slight negative try to turn it into a positive then its thumbs up all round.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Tiplodocus

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

JOE SOAP

I don't think there's that much 'real world' influence in this current Dredd at all, apart from some protective chest/neck pads, he's just less bulky, less constricted but he's essebtially the same. It's still baroque and ornate with the 'bronzed' decorative pads and shields. Dredd never really looked particularly futuristic, he looked 'official', separate, part of a tradition, it's what made him stand out amongst the futuristic mega-citizens. If anything the Stallone '95 design tried to make him look futuristic in an all ready dated 70's/80's way, blocks of gold plastic, lycra-catsuit, paved codpieces, an angular form-fitting helmet. The result was all sorts of wrong.

The Urban Dredd looks like he deals with life on the streets every day whereas the Stallone Dredd is more suited to dressage and Studio 54 at the weekends.

IAMTHESYSTEM

I think Stallones version of Judge Dredd was Produced by some Fashion designer and consequently didn't really fit the look of a street hardened Judge. I wonder why after Demolition man Stallone wanted to do Judge Dredd? Was it the same company that Produced D.M did J.D?

Well I'm still looking forward to DREDD. The helmet curfuffle is of no interest to me. I want to see the whole shabang now. Dredd blazing lead, jacketed, death at all and sundry!
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

JOE SOAP

I've always doubted Versace's actual work/influence on the uniform, I've seen original sketches of his early Dredd concepts -in the Art of Judge Dredd- and they bear no relation to what ended up on-screen. He may have loaned his name while a team of other creatives including Chris Cunningham did the real work.

His main contribution is likely the cod-piece.

Misanthrope

Did you know Christ was a werewolf?

Christov

I know there will be moans all around, but it really looks like the best possible way to translate the costume to the screen without making it look fucking well hokey.

Kudos

Well that looks damn good to me. As several people have already said I'm liking the more urban riot Judge armour/biker protection look of the whole thing. And while the helmet does seem a tad large in the stills I'm not going to judge it until I've seen footage of Urban actually moving in the thing. Thanks to DanboJohn and Joe Soap for the little diagrams of the eagle pad, they make what I'm seeing much more clear. Can we have a trailer now please?

Beaky Smoochies

I just had a thought whilst looking at the new pic, do you think it's from an actual scene in the movie or just a standard publicity shot?  I'll tell you why I asked, because it occurred to me that the pic could be from a scene early in the film [spoiler]when Dredd is called back to Justice Department, and he and the Chief Judge question Anderson through a one-way mirror in an observation room[/spoiler]- the pic is very low lit and the walls behind Dredd look very clean and sterile, not at all like the residential block.  Ultimately, it doesn't really matter, the pic is cool, the script is great, and I'm stoked about this movie, let's consign the Stallone debacle to the ash-heap of history once and for all (unless Buena Vista allow Danny Cannon to release his director's cut on DVD/Blu Ray)...
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.

blackmocco

Quote from: Beaky Smoochies on 18 July, 2011, 02:43:10 AM
I just had a thought whilst looking at the new pic, do you think it's from an actual scene in the movie or just a standard publicity shot?  I'll tell you why I asked, because it occurred to me that the pic could be from a scene early in the film [spoiler]when Dredd is called back to Justice Department, and he and the Chief Judge question Anderson through a one-way mirror in an observation room[/spoiler]- the pic is very low lit and the walls behind Dredd look very clean and sterile, not at all like the residential block.  Ultimately, it doesn't really matter, the pic is cool, the script is great, and I'm stoked about this movie, let's consign the Stallone debacle to the ash-heap of history once and for all (unless Buena Vista allow Danny Cannon to release his director's cut on DVD/Blu Ray)...

Yep, was thinking the very same thing.

As for a director's cut, I'm not particularly hopeful it's going to do much to paint a different picture. Say what you want about Stallone but he's got some very humorous anecdotes regarding the shooting of the movie and dealing with Cannon in particular.

For example: "I think, from what I recall, the whole project was troubled from the beginning. The philosophy of the film was not set in stone – by that I mean "Is this going to be a serious drama or with comic overtones" like other science fiction films that were successful? So a lotta pieces just didn't fit smoothly. It was sort of like a feathered fish. Some of the design work on it was fantastic and the sets were incredibly real, even standing two feet away, but there was just no communication.

I knew we were in for a long shoot when, for no explainable reason Danny Cannon, who's rather diminutive, jumped down from his director's chair and yelled to everyone within earshot, "FEAR me! Everyone should FEAR me!" then jumped back up to his chair as if nothing happened. The British crew was taking bets on his life expectancy."
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Beaky Smoochies

You're probably right blackmocco dude, but Stallone should stop blaming everyone else for that movie's failure, he played a large part in it's ultimate failings by effectively seizing control of the project and demanding script changes/reshoots/editing cuts- or so I heard- although maybe Cannon was way too young, inexperienced, and without any creative/commercial clout to handle such a massive project at that time, but it would be interesting to see what his vison would've looked like onscreen, no matter, where'd you get the above Stallone quote from, by the way...?
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.

Danbo

I will say one thing,Dredds motorbike helmet is a damn sight smaller than mine. :)
Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

Angry Vince

Angry Vince: One Man Against the World! (So far the world is winning 96:0)

Angry Vince

Angry Vince: One Man Against the World! (So far the world is winning 96:0)

blackmocco

Quote from: Beaky Smoochies on 18 July, 2011, 04:45:14 AM
You're probably right blackmocco dude, but Stallone should stop blaming everyone else for that movie's failure, he played a large part in it's ultimate failings by effectively seizing control of the project and demanding script changes/reshoots/editing cuts- or so I heard- although maybe Cannon was way too young, inexperienced, and without any creative/commercial clout to handle such a massive project at that time, but it would be interesting to see what his vison would've looked like onscreen, no matter, where'd you get the above Stallone quote from, by the way...?

Originally from aintitcoolnews.com when they had a bunch of sent-in reader questions for Stallone.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com