Main Menu

Does my Art look big in this?

Started by staticgirl, 10 February, 2010, 02:33:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nightbook

Excellent work Hoagy. Love the Dredd/Anderson composition and the Dark Judges on the last page are pure fire - well, technically one quarter fire... I'm so funny. :D

Hoagy

Thankyou.

I forgot about trainspotting as a reflection of that pose. Law is obviously Dredds drug eh? But the gangster rapper I thought of too as the picture came to fruition. Dredd is ten times more dangerous though, I think.

I'm glad the Anderson and Dredd composition is being received well. Sometimes it's best to let the psychic deal with the psychic stuff, right? While laying down some covering fire.

Thanks for the bump on dark judges pic too Nightbook.

"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

Nightbook

Quote from: Hoagy on 12 May, 2024, 05:11:32 PMI'm glad the Anderson and Dredd composition is being received well.
For what it's worth I'll point to a couple of things I really like: firstly the placement/positioning of Anderson's arms/hands. You've really captured/hinted at something ephemeral (which is probably not quite the right word but I can't think of a better one). Also the way you've tilted Anderson's head back: I find any kind of worm's eye view an absolute [REDACTED] to pull off. It's especially tough when drawing women (blokes are somehow more forgiving). You should be cuffed. :)

Nightbook

Or chuffed. Definitely one or the other.  :D

Hoagy

QuoteYou should be cuffed. :)

Ooww
Quote from: Nightbook on 12 May, 2024, 09:57:52 PMOr chuffed. Definitely one or the other.  :D

Phew!

For clarity's sake I shall tell you I used the sainted Vampirella pic as reference for Anderson.(the one where she stands in a power stance holding aloft a bat?) Changing her arms to where I imagined they'd be for a psychic battle.

So, riffing off an already accomplished pose is well worth it for your finished piece.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
Previously Krombasher.

Nightbook

Quote from: Hoagy on 13 May, 2024, 10:06:41 AMSo, riffing off an already accomplished pose is well worth it for your finished piece.

That's fair enough. For what it's worth I used a Robocop photo as reference for the pic below. I couldn't get the gun hand working.

Jonathan Alpaca is not a character I draw very often. The helmet is super unforgiving (possibly more so that Dredd's).

Hoagy

Ooh that's very good. I like the almost geometric sculpting of muscle work. And it's far from shameful to use reference for things your mind absolutely refuses to untangle. Yep, shades and tones are inspiring Nightbook. Lovely bit of art.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
Previously Krombasher.

Trooper McFad

That's a great pic Nightbook. I did my Stront mini's in a similar style -monochrome with that splash of colour for the badge.
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Nightbook

Quote from: Hoagy on 14 May, 2024, 11:05:30 AMOoh that's very good. I like the almost geometric sculpting of muscle work. And it's far from shameful to use reference for things your mind absolutely refuses to untangle. Yep, shades and tones are inspiring Nightbook. Lovely bit of art.
Thanks for the kind words Hoagy. I can totally see what you mean about the geometric nature of the musculature. Thinking about it most of my compositions are made up of series of jagged little lines. My hands are too wobbly to convey properly organic shapes (I had to break out the French curve for Alpha's helmet). :D 

Quote from: Trooper McFad on 15 May, 2024, 08:58:32 AMThat's a great pic Nightbook. I did my Stront mini's in a similar style -monochrome with that splash of colour for the badge.
Thankyou! I had a quick trawl through your post history but couldn't find your Stront. I'd be very interested to see them. I wasn't planning on colorising the badge but right at the end I felt it needed something. A lot of what I've been doing of late is just black and white with a splash of colour to mix things up.

Nightbook

Trooper McFad

I like these ones as well - that Dredd looks sinister
I posted those mini's a while back on the Of topic a couple or 3 pages in on the "where the dust goes to settle"

Quote from: Trooper McFad on 19 December, 2022, 07:27:10 AMHere's a few of my Stront minis. These are all Metal and I prefer these to the Dredd from Warlord games but i understand that costs may have driven the change.

I've not yet started the Dredd minis (apart from the Xmas decy's) but I'm queued up with my larger projects I don't know when I'll get them started.

I've only posted a few of my favourite ones and i believe the monochrome effect brings out the detail in the figures pretty well.

That's just a sample
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Nightbook

Very nice! I like that you picked out Alpha's eyes along with the red dot on his helmet. It's subtle but effective.

Quote from: Trooper McFad on 16 May, 2024, 09:43:20 PMI like these ones as well - that Dredd looks sinister

Thanks. I think he's just witnessed some shenanigans that he seriously does not approve of. :D

JayzusB.Christ

Lovely stuff all round. I particularly like Nightbook's Armitage - I'd go so far as to say he's nailed the look better than Armitage's actual current illustrator (who I still like a lot).
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"