Main Menu

City Of The Dammed

Started by kcox28, 24 May, 2016, 02:37:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trent

I know what you mean but back then I wasn't looking further down the line, just enjoying the moment.

Trent

Oh, and Tordelback, fair point re opinions. I should look somewhere other than a 2000AD forum to express them. 😉

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Tordelback on 25 May, 2016, 06:36:39 PM
Never understood this often-stated opinion, never will. Raymond's Dredds are some of my absolute favourites.

I'm fighting with Tordelback Block on this one. Raymond doesn't make it into my pantheon of top Dredd artists, but I can recall a remarkable number of his stories with great clarity and fondness.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

TordelBack

Quote from: Trent on 25 May, 2016, 07:05:52 PM
Oh, and Tordelback, fair point re opinions. I should look somewhere other than a 2000AD forum to express them. 😉

Didn't mean to suggest that all - opine away! I just can't see myself accepting strips like Monstroso, The Urge, Code 99 Red,  Palais de Boing, The Interrogation, The Guinea Pig or even The Robot War shouldn't have been drawn by their respective artists, so I'm not going to get into an argument about it.

Trent

Diff'rent strokes. I think any artist who wasn't Bolland, McMahon or Smith felt a little disappointing early on in my 2000AD life. Looking back now I can appreciate many more (the genius of Carlos in particular who I preferred on Strontium Dog 40 years ago) but still think some artists got Dredd better than others such as Cam Kennedy and Steve Dillon. I'm not criticising any artists, merely saying what floated my boat when I was a teenager.

TordelBack

Well if by extension you're suggesting Cam should have drawn every Dredd story, I'm not going to disagree!

Trent

Eric Plumrose

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 25 May, 2016, 08:14:55 PMRaymond doesn't make it into my pantheon of top Dredd artists, but I can recall a remarkable number of his stories with great clarity and fondness.

Likewise. Can't say I was overly enamoured by his artwork even when it featured in EAGLE/TIGER and BATTLE: ACTION FORCE but it didn't ever offend me, unlike some artists' work on Dredd.

Big kneepads were no big deal compared to how some droids draw Dredd's chin.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Link Prime on 25 May, 2016, 05:14:41 PM
...le disagreed with the venerable Greg M. / Dark Jimbo / Colin_YNWA triumvirate for the first time on record.

Well you say triumvirate but I never get invited to the strategy meetings anymore. Not since I argued we take Peru first and build from there.

More importantly. This

QuoteRaymond doesn't make it into my pantheon of top Dredd artists, but I can recall a remarkable number of his stories with great clarity and fondness.

Hawkmumbler

Wowowow, now lets all hold on a little bit here! City of the Damned may not be in my top 5 Dredd epics,  but it's a close 6th! It's all bloody lovely stuff and all in good fun, superb art throughout and the first and best zombie Dredd!

Oh, and it's basically Hellter Skelter. But much better.

SuperSurfer

Quote from: Eric Plumrose on 25 May, 2016, 09:15:10 PM
...Can't say I was overly enamoured by his artwork even when it featured in EAGLE/TIGER and BATTLE: ACTION FORCE but it didn't ever offend me, unlike some artists' work on Dredd.
I think that's the point for me. His artwork doesn't offend me enough. I was surprised when I first saw his art on Dredd. Found it just too bland and safe. The 2000AD art I like the most has an edge to it.

To quote the artist himself:
"I felt I was stagnating as an artist during my time in comics..."

maryanddavid

You're either with me or against me.... :lol:

I, Cosh

If they'd all been like Nikita Engels we wouldn't have won.
We never really die.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Is City of the Damned better or worse than Cry of the Werewolf?
Lock up your spoons!

Trent

Just the single line 'Grim' in Cry of the Werewolf gave me goosbumps when I first read it. Stone cold classic with Steve Dillon imperious.