Main Menu

Dredd - Box Office

Started by MattJW, 02 September, 2012, 09:44:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danbo

The remake? Might be alright then.....fingers crossed.
Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

shaolin_monkey

James Stacey

Steve Green

There's less than 100K between 3, 4 and 5.

It's just an angle - and as has been said that amount of dropoff is actually good, compared to Total Recall which was above 60%.

radiator

Yep, apparently comic book/genre movies generally drop 60-70% on their second weekend (which is I suspect what will happen to Sweeney next week), so that right there is evidence of word of mouth in action.

IndigoPrime

Quite. 50% is standard across most movies, and so Dredd's drop is relatively small. Also, bear in mind this is a hard 18, and so the expectation was that the audience would be heavily front-loaded. Frankly, a 28% drop is pretty spectacular.

Goaty

30% drop is great for Dredd, I feelings the Sweeney will be worse drop next week.

The Sherman Kid

Quote from: Steve Green on 19 September, 2012, 02:18:37 PM
There's less than 100K between 3, 4 and 5.

It's just an angle - and as has been said that amount of dropoff is actually good, compared to Total Recall which was above 60%.
This^
Quote from: IndigoPrime on 19 September, 2012, 02:48:03 PM
Quite. 50% is standard across most movies, and so Dredd's drop is relatively small. Also, bear in mind this is a hard 18, and so the expectation was that the audience would be heavily front-loaded. Frankly, a 28% drop is pretty spectacular.

And This^

I'm actually pretty optimistic. Dredd just needs a long run in the states (hopefully with lots of 2D screenings available) and this will do well- given the chance quite a few people will see this twice methinks

radiator

Quotegiven the chance quite a few people will see this twice methinks

It's weird, I have witnessed through Twitter and first hand with people I know - a hell of a lot of people, having seen Dredd, have said they intend to see the film again.

I've never really encountered that before.

I think it being so tight and short really helps it in this way - I doubt many viewers came out of The Dark Knight Rises thinking "I really need to sit through that again".

dweezil2

My local cineworld (Ashford) has added a 2D print to its showings of Dredd, which should bring a few more punters in or those put off by 3D.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Keef Monkey

Cineworld listings for next week are up, other than 3 showings this Sunday it's still on 4 screenings a day. I've seen quite big profile films drop to way less after just one week so that's got to be a sign that it's having a good week.

Danbo

The day showings at Vue are gone next week,still 3 a day though.
Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

The Sherman Kid

Quote from: radiator on 19 September, 2012, 04:41:46 PM
Quotegiven the chance quite a few people will see this twice methinks

It's weird, I have witnessed through Twitter and first hand with people I know - a hell of a lot of people, having seen Dredd, have said they intend to see the film again.

I've never really encountered that before.

I think it being so tight and short really helps it in this way - I doubt many viewers came out of The Dark Knight Rises thinking "I really need to sit through that again".

Well hows this.Just went and picked up my weekly fix from WH Smiths, and last time the girl serving said she wanted to go see Dredd.Today I asked if she'd seen it and enjoyed it and actually said 'Yeah,it was great ,miles better than than the first one. I actually want to go and see it again'

I recommended she did  ;)

Point is Dredd just needs time to breath in the states and I think it'll make it.

The Sherman Kid

Dirty Sanchez

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 19 September, 2012, 11:42:25 AM
He gave Total Recall a 3/5, and so I'd be surprised if Dredd didn't get the same or better. Depends if he slams it for gore, I guess.

He tends not to like relentlessly exciting films, IIRC he couldn't stomach Aliens.

Also spending 90 minutes staring at a dude's jaw could make him really uncomfortable.