Main Menu

The big fat COLOURING thread

Started by CrazyFoxMachine, 16 May, 2012, 09:10:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danbo

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 15 July, 2012, 08:38:56 AM
Quote from: DanboJohnJ on 14 July, 2012, 05:21:50 PM
Right,had another crack,still trying to get used to gradients and it's a bit scruffy close up but I feel like I'm learning  :)

Don't be afraid to be a bit more subtle with the colours - and if the light is coming from the left as the shading suggests, then this should be reflected in the background as well. Not bad not bad though - !
I know the bright day glo effect,erm it's death on slo mo...ahem  :P
But yeah,I know what you mean,I want to be more abstract too...I never studied 'colour' when I was growin up and reading comics but I would pour over black and whites all day long....like trying to teach an old dog new tricks but I'm keen and most of all I love it :) 
Thanks for the encouragement....just started a new Dredd,night pic lots of ideas for light......back in a few hours.
Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

Cpt Rhodes

Quote from: DanboJohnJ on 15 July, 2012, 09:08:55 AM
Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 15 July, 2012, 08:38:56 AM
Quote from: DanboJohnJ on 14 July, 2012, 05:21:50 PM
Right,had another crack,still trying to get used to gradients and it's a bit scruffy close up but I feel like I'm learning  :)

Don't be afraid to be a bit more subtle with the colours - and if the light is coming from the left as the shading suggests, then this should be reflected in the background as well. Not bad not bad though - !
I know the bright day glo effect,erm it's death on slo mo...ahem  :P
But yeah,I know what you mean,I want to be more abstract too...I never studied 'colour' when I was growin up and reading comics but I would pour over black and whites all day long....like trying to teach an old dog new tricks but I'm keen and most of all I love it :) 
Thanks for the encouragement....just started a new Dredd,night pic lots of ideas for light......back in a few hours.

I hope you don't mind, I took a quick go at colouring your pic. If you PM me I'll forward the PSD file. You will have the layers which will show you how I did it. Key lights, rim lights, all the dirty tricks. Hopefully you will find something of use in there.

Danbo

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: Alex on 15 July, 2012, 06:34:24 PM
I hope you don't mind, I took a quick go at colouring your pic.

Now I'd really like to see that.

Bhuna

Same here CFM and a copy of the PDF files too!  ;)
twitter.com/Bhuna1967
twitter.com/pigdogpress

Cpt Rhodes

The link below refers to lighting for photography or film but is just as useful a technique when emulated to your color art. It's more or less the principle I use on all my colour stuff nowadays.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-point_lighting

Lighting setups was one of my favourite tasks when I worked in video games. Loved it.

Danbo

Faved that light link in my art folder, so much too learn it's bloody great  :D

And that Death pic is amazing,more atmosphere than I know what to do with.I'll pop it up if Alex is not fussed,I feel it's more his work with all the awesome going on  :)

Cpt Rhodes

Bhuna, CFM, PM me an email address and I'll send you the psd.

Danbo

Here's the pic  kindly colored by Alex ^....so cool seeing one of your own drawings turned up to eleven  :P

Noisybast

Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

Bhuna

The way Alex have built up the layers is mind blowing!!
twitter.com/Bhuna1967
twitter.com/pigdogpress

Danbo

Yeah,can't wait until weekend( free time) so I can try and suss out some of his methods....first stop channels,i just usually open about 15 layers? Like a noob

Cpt Rhodes

This is an old one saved in it's stages to show how I built up the shadow tones then the  3 point light colours

Cpt Rhodes

And another one done in a similar way.
Sketch with tones in B/W.
Flat colours then added with filters.
Lastly final art with light overlays and detail.

Danbo

Amazing,really lots to think about.Seems so obvious when somebody shows you...