Main Menu

The Great Dante Readthrough Podcast

Started by Simon Fraser, 26 February, 2021, 06:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Y'know, most podcasts I line up and listen to while doing other things - travelling to work, being at work, etc.  Dante I can't do that with - I have to have the story in front of me so I can follow along (all of which is a long-winded way of saying I'm really behind on listening and shall be catching up about seven episodes). 

Quote from: Illyana on 06 November, 2022, 04:40:51 PMIrregulars! Keep your wonderful thoughts and reactions coming. Let us know if you want us to credit you as something other than your Board handle. Also let us know if you'd prefer we not use your comments on the podcast when you post them, a simple "not for broadcast" will suffice. Not that our little show is oh so famous that your opinions will be front page news or anything, but want to be respectful.

Only too pleased to be namechecked and for any comments I make to be aired!

Colin YNWA

Yep another winner and made the house work all the more enjoyable this weekend.

Funt Solo

An angry person from the nineties who needs to get a room.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 20 March, 2023, 08:04:34 AMYep another winner and made the house work all the more enjoyable this weekend.

It ended up being my bathroom-redecoration listen.  Brilliant stuff as always.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Magnetica

I'm finally up to date on the podcast and am ready for the next episode having completely Hell and High Water yesterday. So looking forward to that coming out.

A big thanks to Simon and Eddie for doing these; it's the only podcast I listen to regularly, and gives me a real incentive to do the complete Dante read through I've been meaning to do for years.

Illyana

Hello Irregulars! We've had some medical challenges crop up in the past few weeks, so our next episode will be coming at you on Friday.

Illyana

Quote from: Credo! on 20 March, 2023, 05:34:54 PMFigure you guys would enjoy this: Dante Figurine

Thank you so much for sharing this by the way!!

Trooper McFad

Quote from: Illyana on 02 April, 2023, 10:23:10 PM
Quote from: Credo! on 20 March, 2023, 05:34:54 PMFigure you guys would enjoy this: Dante Figurine

Thank you so much for sharing this by the way!!

Glad you enjoyed my attempt at bringing Dante to 3D - he definitely deserves a more professional figure of a decent size.
I'm sure fellow boarders would fork out for a reasonably priced figure or even a Hiya toys range 😁
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Illyana on 02 April, 2023, 10:22:08 PMHello Irregulars! We've had some medical challenges crop up in the past few weeks, so our next episode will be coming at you on Friday.

Hope things aren't too bad and you remain chipper through the medical challenges and bounce back as quickly as possible.

Look forward to hearing the show when you are both back on form.

Illyana

Hello Irregulars! We made it in before the US buzzer on a Friday release, sadly it's already tomorrow for our friends in the UK and beyond.

http://simonfraser.net/tgdrpodcast/2023/04/07/ep-30-agent-of-how-could-you

Barrington Boots

A real pleasure to catch up with this episode today! As ever the podcast is a joy. I hope things are going a bit smoother for you guys.

Some really wonderful work by John Burns in this episode. The retro feel is very strong: I love the 70s spacesuit-style diving suits and the Foss design on the Raven base (I didn't know Chris Foss by name until Simon brought it up, but I knew who he was and it reminded me of his work, if that makes sense). And the T-Rex of course which is straight out of a Ladybird book. I really like the outside shots of the ocean and stuff but the absolute tour de force is the dialogue free page where Marguerite falls to her death.
This tale has a really sinister ending I think, where Dante is all like 'I'm here now' with us as the reader knowing his intentions are bad. Hearing Edie expound on his dickish actions on the previous page towards Marguerite also really made me take this ending in a new light.
Not sure why the ooze becomes a T-rex or a giant scorpion, when being a giant ooze was working out fine for it absorbing all the pirate dudes, but I love dinosaurs and giant insects so no complaints!

I'm less keen on the British episode but again it looks amazing. It's a bit throwaway and daft but one of Dantes strengths imo is the way it veers between the serious and the silly.

Also: Lava lamps rule. I have one on my desk right now. Simons depth of dino-knowledge is great. Wicked Wanda was a bit of an eye-opener on Google.

Finally, Hammer films! I had a huge collection of these in the past: my wife doesn't really like them so I haven't seen any for ages, but my favourite ones would be:
Horror of Dracula is amazing.
Brides of Dracula is awesome but has no Christopher Lee. another good Dracula one is Dracula Prince of Darkness. Or Vampire Lovers with Ingrid Pitt.
The Devil Rides Out rules and does have Christopher Lee.
I have a huge fondness for Twins of Evil and Count Karnstein's hilarious panicked face when he closes the door near the end was a running joke between my brother and I for years. As with a lot of the witch hunter ones though it's unfortunately pretty misogynistic and a more difficult watch nowdays (this is true of a lot of Hammer in general sadly)
Plague of Zombies is a good non-vampire one.
Lastly a special mention for Vampire Circus. My parents saw this film at the cinema whilst courting and my Mum was so shocked / disgusted they left halfway through. I heard this story so many times Vampire Circus took on this sort of mythical status as a super-horrific film for me which of course meant I watched it as soon as I could. It's not as good as any of the other films on this list.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Colin YNWA

Kids are still into lava lamps... or at least mine do. They have one each, the girl child is 13 and the boy child 11. I mean sure they are not necessarily representative of the population as a whole - they were brought up by prime comic nerd and boy child proudly has a full collection of The Pheonix Weekly Story Comic (I'm so proud). The girl child taught herself the Star Wars theme on piano (I'm so proud) but all their friends seem normal and well adjusted and they think they (the lava lamps) are cool enough.

Barrington Boots

Top man Colin! Raising them right.
Not ashamed to admit that my fascination with lava lamps started with Barbarella.

Illyana

Hello Irregulars! We had a very busy podcast weekend (recorded 2 interviews and recorded this EP) so it's a Monday release for Ep 31: Primal Usurper.

We'll have an interview coming at you on Friday, we announce that guest at the end of the show.

http://simonfraser.net/tgdrpodcast/2023/04/17/primalusurper

Barrington Boots

Serious mockery for Sharko this episode. It's hilarious and absolutely deserved.