Main Menu

Fantasy Line Up...

Started by Funt Solo, 29 March, 2005, 06:24:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Byron Virgo

"suvbstituting rising star Gordon Rennie for has-been Alan Grant (he's had a very poor season IMHO) on Dredd."

Sorry, don't want to get all moany, but I do take exception to people always rubbishing Alan Grant. It seems pretty damn unfair, given that he co-wrote most of what is now considered to be the 'definitive' period of Dredd, and given the fact that he has written so many Dredd stories, coupled with the fact that his are no longer 'in continuity', I think it's hardly surprising that they're not, say, up to the standard of Total War. But the constant slagging that his stories get, as opposed to the unconditional onanisitic praise Wagner recieves, seems entirely dissproportional. His recent Anderson and Middenface work has been absolutely top of the line, and looks set to continue along the same path.

Alan Grant is still one of the few people to actually give up and comers some of his time, and even occasionally gives people a leg up, as well as actively supporting the small press. Plus he's a very funny guy as well. Perhaps, just for once, we could focus on people's good points, rather than just the negative ones?

Banners

Perhaps, just for once, we could focus on people's good points, rather than just the negative ones?

But his Dredds have been poor recently. That's nothing personal. I mean, if the Pope wrote Dante, it'd probably be rubbish - wouldn't take away that he's a thoroughly nice chap.

M@

Dudley

http://www.bellecore.org/images/photo_sm/signs/montreal/pope_dope.jpg">

Byron Virgo

I don't think my argument was that I thought that they were great, just that I'm a bit sick of slagging off various hard working creative types, when people like myself do bugger-all, creative wise.

Marbles

Well I'm just expressing an opinion. I'm sure many many people disagree with me, but I thought the recent Middenface, Dredds & Anderson were garbage.

On the other hand recent Koburn, Simping Detective & Shimura storie have been ace.

If you are not able to express your dislikes then it devalues praise for those stories you do like.

IMO.
Remember - dry hair is for squids

Byron Virgo

But saying you dislike something without any kind of critical reasoning behind it is just merely badmouthing someone. If you dislike something, and you feel the need to talk about it, at least say what it actually is that you think is wrong with it, as well as perhaps making some suggestions as to how you think it might have been improved.

(Personally, I didn't really enjoy the Koburn or Bato Loco stories, but that doesn't mean that I feel the need to slag Mr. Rennie off as a writer. After all, I'm never going to like everything a particular writer writes, am I?)

Funt Solo

In an attempt to get away from creator-debates, my initial idea for the thread (which you are free to ignore at your leisure, obviously) was a fantasy line up of stories:  not writers and artists.

Still, carry on, don't mind me...
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Marbles

I don't believe I'm required to give justifications for my opinions such as they are.

Grant's writing & Gibson's art have been well-under par in the last year.

That's not a slagging off. Its a mildy held opinion. *Shrugs*. I'm sure neither creator gives a toss what I think, and quite right too.

At the end of the day only Thargs opinion counts..

Remember - dry hair is for squids

Funt Solo

It's a weird thing, though:  if I see someone describing one of my favourite creators in a negative light, I too get incensed.  (See previous posts on the Mills / Slaine debate.)

In fact, when I first read your [paraphrasing] "Grant's past-it" comment I could feel my blood beginning to boil, but then you said Gibson's recent work was a bit below par and I started to calm down because I totally agree with that:  no explanation required.  (It's like he's gone colour blind, or fallen in love with mauve, or decided that backgrounds are things that only happen to other people.)

Count to 10, I guess:  it's different strokes for different folks.  Now, if only I could take my own advice...
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Trout

Fate, I wasn't suggesting there was anything wrong with your thread.

I thought it might add something to the discussion.

- Trout

Buddy

Dredd - Wagner & McCarthy (a la Haunting of Sector House 9)

Wasn't that Bret Ewins on art duty for that story...

Though McCarthy was always great on Dredd, 'Riders on the Storm' I think the story was called - superb stuff.

Dredd - Wagner & The Mighty Jock
Stronty Dog - Wagner & Carlos
Caballistics - Rennie & Dom
Anything By Mick McMahon
Halo - Moore & Gibson

Funt Solo

Well, so far (if you collate the results, and I did because it was more interesting than tonight's tele), the lowest common denominator "perfect prog" would be the following:

Judge Dredd (Wagner & any one of a number of well-established artistic gods)
Caballistics Inc. (Rennie & Reardon)
Halo Jones Book 4 (Gibson [b&w] & Moore)
Nikolai Dante (Morrison & Fraser)
Strontium Dog (Wagner & Ezquerra)

Only one person mentioned the cover, and they opted for Bolland, which seems fair.

(Just losing out on an equal footing were Slaine, Rogue Trooper & ABC Warriors).

PS  Sorry Trout...I'm a paranoid git sometimes...must practise my new mantra "think before you post...think before you post..."
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

shazhughes

One of the reasons that I've not been on the board much recently is that I've noticed that there seems to be a trend to get personal when talking about creators and it seems easier for boarders to slag stuff off than discuss or give reason for their opinions.
Plus it?s been Easter and I've been hammered.