Main Menu

"The Bravey", CD artwork query

Started by House of Usher, 31 March, 2005, 05:21:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

House of Usher

Hmm. I've just bought the debut (?) album by The Bravery - only just started listening to it...

I was wondering though, why the artwork behind the CD grip is a picture of 50 Cent holding a shotgun, with death certificate. Seeing as how The Bravey aren't a gangster rap group and there's no mention of 50 Cent in the album credits, has there been a screw-up at the CD packaging plant or what?
STRIKE !!!

House of Usher

Okay - more contextual information: from the copyright it would appear The Bravery are signed to Def Jam, which either explains how the screw-up occurred, or why a tribute to 50 Cent might be deliberately placed in another Def Jam artist's product (assuming they are label-mates). I'm still perplexed.

Is 50 Cent dead?
STRIKE !!!

House of Usher

From a google search, so far it doesn't look like Mr 50 Cent is dead. The death certificate says that somebody called Trey Irving is certified as having died on 8th March 2005. Who he is I've no idea.

Maybe it was just a factory screw-up?
STRIKE !!!

opaque

Must be a mistake (and maybe worth money? lol) as I've just looked at the copy that arrived today and it's just got some fire on a background the same colour as the insert on the left.

Art

As an asside, am I the only one who thinks that 50 Cent is the single most over-rated artist of the decade?

Funt Solo

I don't know about over-rated:  but I do think he was over-hyped.

This seems common these days:  something new comes on the scene and it's like "You will love this NOW consumer!"

It's refreshing when something just gets quietly noticed because of it's inherent quality.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Art

The overhyping pretty much comes as standard these days, but what gets me is the guy appears to be a total talent and charisma vacuum - even by the standards of post millenium gangsta rap, which is really saying something.

House of Usher

Thanks for confirming what I suspected - factory screw-up. It's going back to Tesco tomorrow.
STRIKE !!!

Banners

You buy CDs from Tesco? Rock n Roll!!!

M@

Quirkafleeg

I suspect it was just an honest mistake....

I liked the way 50 Cent got bottled off at (I think) Reading. Great taste festival goers!

House of Usher

You buy CDs from Tesco? Rock n Roll!!!

Heh. I realize I would be a lot more cool if I had bought it from Virgin for ?11.99 instead of buying it for ?8.75 only 3 minutes walk from my house, but I don't have money to burn...

:-P
STRIKE !!!

johnnystress

It'd be even more rock and roll if you nicked it!

..and if it wasn't The Bravery....

Art

Who are The Bravery anyway? is this someone eho's gotten big in my absense or am I just terminally past it like a high court judge?

johnnystress

"a little bit of column A, a little bit of column B.."

They're actually not bad. Another american band wearing their 80's English indie influence on their sleeves

The singer looks like the guy from the Misfits (who turned into a wrestler) singing in a Morrissey stylee. The guitars are early The Cure.

very "now", if you know what I mean

not bad though

Link: http://www.thebravery.com/" target="_blank">The Bravery

House of Usher

johnnystress has got it in a nutshell.

The first track sounds like The Cure, Adam and the Ants and Duran Duran collaborating on a melodic eighties new romantic synth-pop indie number.

The singer from The Killers is jealous, saying "we thought of it first". There's a lot of it about. Bloc Party wear their early eighties/The Cure influence on their sleeve too.
STRIKE !!!