Main Menu

London Film and comic con...

Started by Bolt-01, 15 June, 2005, 05:44:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Large48

Could be there as well, what sort of help is required? Cheers Guy
[size=40]Train Hard - Run Fast - Hit to Kill[/size]

Byron Virgo

Hozabout this - being as it's two days, and as long as I hear back from this organiser chap and my work doesn't suddenly renege on my last minute leave, I'll contact everyone who expressed an interest in helping out for a day on this thread, and as long as everyone's agreeable, we can share out the help between FQ, SW and TEiN. Does that sound alright?

As way of recompense for people's much appreciated help I was going to offer free entry (even if I have to pay it myself, goddamnit!), plus a free comp to Future Quake issues and possibly a mini-raffle involving a page of 2000AD artwork or something, but if people need more persuasion let me know and I'll try and think of something more enticing.

Eric Plumrose

If I'm not too busy basking in Paul's glory I'm sure I could lend a hand.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

Byron Virgo

Thanks to everyone who's posted on this thread offering help - I really appreciate it guys (as will Paul and Mike too, I'm sure!). Anyone who can spare us whatever time they can afford will be doing us a massive favour that will not be quickly forgotten.

And Max, stop slgging off lms - you try editing a book on your Jacks before you can say owt, you cheeky scamp.
(And anyway, shouldn't you be making me my new icon anyway, rather than winding people up?)

Max Kon

You asked for a new icon? when was that? Were you drunk and thought you had emailed me a icon request, while in reality your mother is wondering where to get you that icon, you so nicely asked for, for your next birthday?

Max Kon

and mike, sorry, i was just joking around

petemaskreplica

Might be able to help out on the Saturday, I'll whore myself round the lot of yer as I see fit I guess, unless someone makes me an offer I can't refuse ;)

Oddboy

I'll lend a hand if I turn up.  Dunno if I'll be there or not though.
Better set your phaser to stun.

Byron Virgo

Okay, I think I should have emailed everyone who regitered an interest in helping on this thread, but if anyone else fancies a day or two of abject slavery (earning our undying gratitude, of course) please post a message or drop me a sendmail, as I'm desperate to get anyone to help out at the moment.

Max Kon

Byron Virgo

Well you never said that you were interested in helping, you just spent the whole time winding up poor lms (he's from Leeds you know - cut him some slack, he's got enough problems!).

However, if you are interested (whioch would be gratefully appreciated) drop me a sendmail and I'll fill you in on some of the details.

Byron Virgo

Just a reminder to everyone in London that this is on tomorrow, so anyone who's around should make their way down to Earl's Court, where they can buy copies of Future Quake, The End is Nigh, Solar Wind, Omnivistascope, Sunny, Lost Property, Tales of the Contrary, Empirical Majesty and Pony School.

You can also meet your favourite stars from film and tv (Val 'my career's in ruins' Kilmer, anybody?), as well as lots of lovely comics people, including Leah Moore & John Reppion, Dave Lloyd, Robbie Morrison and Brendan McCarthy.

longmanshort

A reet crackin' con, this was! Had a great day on the Saturday - as well as meeting up with pals and getting to hob-nob with one or two top people, highlights included:

* selling about 30 copies of the End is Nigh to all and sundry
* marvelling at how many copies of EiN my g/f could sell when I wasn't there - primarily to teenage boys ...
* shouting "you are my childhood" at a slightly startled Geoff Senior, whose work for the Transformers comic is what got my into comics in the first place
* getting a VIP pass, consistently raiding the green room throughout the day and standing next to Billy Boyd while he talked about motorbikes or summat
* getting a fantastic sketch off Brendan McCarthy, who came along to pimp his new book
* buying a so-far-unpublished page of Dredd from Boo Cook
* laughing at the guy who thought he'd dressed as Keanu Reeves in Matrix Reloaded ... but had neither the build, the height, nor the hair ...
* giving one guy my whole EiN sales patter and then, just as I thought 'hmmm, this guy's a bit quiet' he turned round and signed to his wife ...

Kind of wish I'd gone along for the Sunday as well, but circumstances prevented me from doing so. Was a great con and was nice to introduce a different crowd to The End is Nigh, though it was kinda cool that it wasn't all comics - gave everyone the chance to hang out and chat while everyone else queued to pay ?20 to get a signature off of Ron Perlman!
+++ implementing rigid format protocols +++ meander mode engaged +++

paulvonscott

Yeah, I enjoyed it, had a good if somewhat tiring time.  

Highlights for me:
* Had the chance to get drunk on Saturday for which I'm grateful.  Plus sitting outside the same pub with a lemonade on Sunday.
* Sold more comics than I expected.
* Got to chat to people like Mike Carey, David Hine, Shawn Okley, Phil Winslow, Gary Spencer Millidge, John Reppion, Leah Moore, Pat Mills, Al Davison and David Loyd.  It was really interesting hearing all their different takes on the comic industry and where they think they and it are going.
* Also saw Brendan McCarthy and Brett Ewins which game me a real fanboy thrill.  Brendan even shook my hand and chatted till he realised I wasn't a comics dealer :p
* Got to chat with various board dwellers and denizens.  As always, lots of fun.
* Being in the green room, VIP passes, free food and feeling generally very rock n' roll when Lou Ferrigno walks past.
* The Star Trek Carpet salesmen.
* Women in strange costumes
* The chance to walk past the row of autograph lines, and see lots of vaguely famous people.
* Met up with my mate Geoff.
* And the train journey back, which was fairly quiet, peaceful and stress free.

And probably more, it was an interesting weekend, anyway!  Glad I went.

Floyd-the-k

tell us more about the women in strange costumes. I WAS there in spirit, but missed those.