Main Menu

Quake 4, while we wait for Rogue...

Started by Pete Wells, 25 October, 2005, 03:51:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete Wells

Cor, I bought Quake 4 yesterday and it's blumping lovely! It's got jaw dropping graphics in a nice, 2000ad-esque future war setting complete with big stompy robots, monstorous tanks and shocks and gore aplenty!

Minor spoiler - I was turned into a Strogg baddie yesterday which meant that I was strapped to a conveyor belt while all manner of saws and probes hacked and stabbed me. It was bloody horrible - just like going through RESYK while alive, now I know how Hershey felt!

So, while we're waiting for the Rogue Trooper game (which now has a lot to live up to!), give Quake 4 a blast if you can!

Pete.

James

I'm considering getting this. Or maybe F.E.A.R. which i've heard good things about.

Pete Wells

Yeah, I bought FEAR last week and though I enjoyed it, I was a little disappointed too. It's very, very samey and not as scary as I was expecting. It's fun though, has a cracking story and the slow motion is great (for a while anyway).

FEAR ran quite slowly on my machine too where Quake seems to be flying along, despite being graphicaly superior. Perhaps Quake hasn't got all the physics going on in the background like FEAR has.

Both are great games but, for me, Quake is clinching it (just).

Pete

WoD

The FEAR demo ran badly on my PC, but there's a patch out for it now which helps and a new NVIDIA update last week which should also help on the full game.

I loaded up Quake 3 last night to remind myself what it's like...blooming heck...I'd forgotten how fast it was...now to download some mods..Q3F and Urban Terror first me thinks

Art

Weirdly with Half Life 2 and Doom 3 (presumabnly with similar engines) I get the opposite...

WoD

What about on-line Pete, have you had lag issues?

Pete Wells

Must admit I'm not much of an online gamer (my broad band is bobbins) and I'm busy battling through the single player story at the minute (it's REALLY gross!)

Mrs Pete is about to kill me for being a computer geek all day so I'll have a bash at multiplayer tomorrow!

Pete

Woolly

Out of the two, i'd say go for F.E.A.R. (if your PC can run it!) Unfortunately the games not as long as it could have been, but thats made up for by a cracking plotline and some truly awesome combat! The enemy AI has to be the best ive ever encountered!

Strangely, it seems to run better than Quake 4 on my housemates PC (mine wont run either game!).

WoD

Booted Doom3 up last night after reading this thread (hadn't played it for months and months) and it crawled...when it used to run smoothly.  Any ideas?

WoD

For a seriously entertaining (in a very wrong way) look at how some 'people' get worked up about on-line gaming....check out this link.

It's a bad advert for XBox Live....

Link: http://www.wimp.com/gamer/" target="_blank">Blood Pressure Problems

Funt Solo

My x-flatmate, before broadband:

"No fecking wayyyy!  No way!  Fecking cheating motherfecking wank-bastards!  Cheats!  There's no fecking wayyy!  Hack-bastards!"

My x-flatmate, after broadband:

"No fecking wayyyy!  No way!  Fecking cheating motherfecking wank-bastards!  Cheats!  There's no fecking wayyy!  Hack-bastards!"
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

WoD

Heh...I think certain people have to be cheating just because they always kill me before I kill them...

Does anyone know if Counter Stike Source has a hack/cheater problem?  Sometimes, just sometimes, some people seem VERY good and VERY quick when aiming.

Mudcrab

Latest review type thing on Rogue Trooper. Sounding rather good I must say.

Like the bit about multiplayer where you play as Helm, Gunnar and Bagman before they were killed. Well, 4 Rogues really but I'm not going to say they all look the same!

Link: http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/roguetrooper/news.html?sid=6136395" target="_blank">Rouge Alert

NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

Pete Wells

Yay, just completed this and have to say I've enjoyed it quite a bit more than FEAR.

WOD I had a look at multiplayer and didn't seem to get any lag even on my crappy 1mb-goes-off-when-it-rains broadband connection.

Pete.

Woolly

Currently 'gettin into' Quake4 a bit more, its certainly up to standard with Quake2, but i still think FEAR is a much higher quality of game!* Just wish it was a bit longer...

*I would explain a bit more, but i dont want to potentially spoil the experience for anyone! :)