Main Menu

2000AD Original Art Thread

Started by J3D1, 16 May, 2010, 08:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hippynumber1

Dean Ormston's Judge Hershey. More than any other artist, with the possible exception of Simon Harrison, Ormston's painted work is done a massive disservice on publication (and even in hi-res scans) as all of the texture is lost.

o1s1n

I always loved that image. Have never seen any of Dean Ormston's paintings in person though. Is it heavy, textured acrylic?

Skullmo

That's the best Dean Ormston I have seen.

I really like his painting only I often felt his figure work and storytelling let him down a little. His single images were generally really nice.
It's a joke. I was joking.

hippynumber1

I'm pretty sure it's acrylic (I don't know much about artistic materials); it looks like it has been scraped onto the card with a spatula rather than painted with a brush. It feels very thick and heavy on the page, what looks like flat black is ridged...

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Skullmo on 03 December, 2014, 01:31:59 PM
That's the best Dean Ormston I have seen.

I really like his painting only I often felt his figure work and storytelling let him down a little. His single images were generally really nice.

I don't think he was best suited to stripwork. If you look at some of his Dredds you can see him try every trick in the book and then some to avoid having to do faces - everyone is always hunched over, turned away from the viewer, stood in heavy shadow or a tiny figure in the corner of a panel dwarfed by picturesque scenery.
@jamesfeistdraws

o1s1n

Just got these two beauties which I've been after for.. jeez, as long as I can remember.

Skullmo, you're a king among men! Thanks for letting me pry them from your hands  :D

As with all of John's Nemesis pages, the detail is incredibly intense and the only way you can get a good idea of what it's really like is via closeups of the original art. So I took some! :D

Look how detailed these are. Now look ack to the main picture to see how small they are when compared to the overall image. Really gives you scale as to how small the details are. (and how much is lost in the transfer to print)

Get me to a framers!!!  :lol:

I also don't think I've photographed pages 27 & 28 together so took the opportunity to. Think I'll get the pair of them framed side by side like this too.

hippynumber1

That death of Thoth page is still one of my favourites. Beautiful stuff!

o1s1n

It's a great page alright! Although, the corkscrew in the balls splash is possibly on the verge of overtaking it as my favourite..  :D

Not sure what the missus is going to make of that up on the wall  :o

Skullmo

I love how the death of Thoth one is not edited!

They all look lovely together!

hippynumber1

o1s1n

Outstanding! Well done.

Was that one of the Carlos pieces recently put up on ebay? I see there's been a seller listing quite a few of them.

hippynumber1

No, this was part of a private deal with the other art card originals. The ones you're thinking of on ebay are being sold by Reg from the Book Palace. He's got some lovely stuff and sells on behalf of Carlos and a few other artists, inc. Arthur Ranson.

o1s1n

Ahhh I see, that explains the volume of Arthur Ranson pages he's put up. I don't think I've ever seen more than one of his pages on ebay simultaneously.

Spikes

Skullmo

Lovely. A real shame you have written your name on it with a marker though!