Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

von Boom

Just finished Running Man. Set in 2019 it's strangely prophetic. The technology is quite accurately predicted and the political situation is disturbingly familiar. I expect the real life Running Man to debut on or about 30 March. ::)

Tiplodocus

Already here; they just do dating and backstabbing instead of hand-to-hand fighting.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Professor Bear

Despite being made by an utter monster, I enjoyed Bohemian Rhapsody, but it's very glossy, everyone is very British and affable and in its own way it's just as big a spoof of the British rock star as Spinal Tap, though apart from a few parties in Freddie's house, there's not much in the way of excess on show, nor is there much of a struggle to get famous, they just meet Freddie, he pushes them to record an album, and then everyone is married and thinks they're over the hill dinosaurs because all the kids of the time are into REO Speedwagon and they just can't top the masterpieces they've already recorded - even though the movie itself shows you onscreen how the music press shat all over what they did and Bohemian Rhapsody - while a cracking track and deservedly acknowledged as a classic - didn't really achieve epic status until Mike Myers and Dana Carvey turned it into a pop culture joke.
I'm no big city Queen scientist, but it seems that a lot of this is all over the place, with Who Wants To Live Forever presented anachronistically as predating Live Aid when it was notoriously written in the back of Brian May's car after watching a rough cut of the film Highlander a couple of years later, and Mike Myers shows up as a record executive announcing that Bohemian Rhapsody was not a song that kids would "bang their heads to in their cars", which is cute, certainly, but again, I'm not sure that white trash heavy metal was something that greatly concerned record execs in 1975.
But okay, it's glossy, that's fine.  It's very enjoyable and the Live Aid sequence is very well done and caps the film off nicely.  I don't know how accurate Rami Malek's depiction of the real-life Freddie Mercury is, but as a character performance it's fantastic, and I don't know why, but the guy who plays Brian May is just hilarious to behold - like he watched the Star Fleet video and decided that was enough research.
Best bit: Freddie's wife finally twigging that Freddie is a gay man because he gets along with Kenny Everit.  They really put that in the film.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Professor Bear on 02 February, 2019, 04:31:34 PMBohemian Rhapsody - while a cracking track and deservedly acknowledged as a classic - didn't really achieve epic status until Mike Myers and Dana Carvey turned it into a pop culture joke.

Bullshit - I was 9 when it ruled the charts, and while the critics may have been sniffy, I wasn't aware of that at the time because I didn't read the NME- I just remember it being huge. It even made the news bulletins for being so weird and the extraordinary number of weeks it stayed at number 1 - it was genuinely massive, and was regularly referenced in comedy shows and suchlike. Because my big brother, who I shared a bedroom with, was a massive Queen fan, I gained great kudos in the primary school playground by being able to sing the whole song, even the weird bits. in timethough , as always, the next HUGE pop-culture thing happened and took the limelight.

Eighteen years later, Wayne's World used it for a joke, but it was epic waaaaay before that.

Professor Bear

Quote from: Dandontdare on 02 February, 2019, 09:50:37 PMin timethough , as always, the next HUGE pop-culture thing happened and took the limelight.

Which is sort of my point.  Lots of songs are epic in their day, and many of those even get to enter the charts a second time years - even decades -  later, but the trajectory you describe for BR before it got its Wayne and Garth relaunch, people who were kids at different times could easily ascribe to any number of songs from Number of the Beast to Macarena.
I personally live in dread of hearing once again that the Vengabus is coming.

M.I.K.

Was in the charts more than twice. Bohemian Rhapsody was the UK Christmas number one (again) and selling a mental amount of copies the year before Wayne's World was out at the pictures, on account of Freddie kicking the bucket.

Jim_Campbell

How To Train Your Dragon 3:

Narratively the least satisfying of these movies by a substantial margin. And yet, oddly, thematically perfect. Assuming this is the last movie, it's a brilliant capstone to the trilogy in many ways...

...and yet, not actually that great a movie.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Professor Bear on 02 February, 2019, 10:21:16 PM
I personally live in dread of hearing once again that the Vengabus is coming.

That really did make me laugh out loud. (Yes it deserves writing out in words, it was that funny)

Tiplodocus

I quite enjoyed the THE BALLAD OF BUSTER SCRUGGS by the Coen brothers on Netflix.

Particular kudos to the dialogue (which remains accessible while seeming authentically archaic; though frankly, i haven't a clue what they spoke like).

A fantastic cast give pleasing performances (Tom Waits and Liam Neeson work particularly well for me) and score and cinematography give the small, personal tales an epic feel.

And to the effortless way the tone shifts downward from the lighthearted black comedy of the opening ballad through the nightmarish "Meal Ticket" finishing with, to my mind the slightest but, thematically perfect "Mortal Remains". Overall, on completion, it reminded me of the oft quoted death rattle theme of ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST. Which is pretty good company.

Minor quibbles; native americans are treated as bogeymen (albeit with a sense of humour, though my history is not good enough to know how they would be in the historical context of the stories), a couple of the tales go on too long and the "picture plate" spoils THE GIRL WHO GOT RATTLED.

And actually, Meal Ticket is the stuff of nightmares.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Mardroid

I saw,The Ballad of Buster Scruggs, recently too. Liked it a lot.

Superbob, yesterday on Amazon Prime.

It's a comedy superhero film, with a largely British cast set largely in a place I used to go regularly: Peckham.

How did I miss this?

Bob is basically an ex postman , who got bit by a meteor in Rye Park and ended up with Superman powers. It's essentially about him balancing being a superhero with having a life, and how he is exploited. So not the most original thing, maybe, but with the tone it all somehow works. Or it did for me, anyway.

It's told in the form of a kind of documentary. It has a strong element of parody, yet does its own thing too. I found it very funny in places, but it's not afraid to go 'sad and poignant' too. Generally a rather sweet film, that's not afraid to be rather silly, and have a decent message to.

I enjoyed that a lot.

Shortly before that, I saw The Girl with all the Gifts.

Kind of another take on the Zombie genre, but not JUST another take on the Zombie genre. Well worth watching.

Theblazeuk

I saw a trailer for Superbob like 6 years ago, only now have I seen any way of actually watching the movie...

The Legendary Shark

Was spellbound by The Ballad of Buster Scruggs, loved every minute of it.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Hawkmumbler

"When they built this boy they forgot to include the quit..."

Agreed with all on Buster Scruggs. The Coens have made a modern western classic, and an anthology no less.

Colin YNWA

Well for all sorts of none reasons I hadn't got around to War for the Planet of the Apes but finally got to it and wow did I enjoy it.

To manage to make a finale for Caesar whereby he manages to be both Jesus AND Moses in the same movie without it being absolute nonsense is a tribute to all. Its basically the greatest Biblical epic ever.

It just about always managed to pull that off, always just about staying on the right side of the balance. The cute bits like Bad Ape (I think he's called), just about keep in the movie in the right tone and don't push to far. The plot contrivences just about keep on the side of suspended belief. The dialogue toys with but never quite becomes hackneyed. The action just about holds together. And the even the nods to the other apes movies just about hold the line, though calling the mute girl Nova was pushing its luck on that front!

Because it does all that it manages to make the film a magnificent meladrama and not a ridiculous farce.

Well done all involved and now having watched that one the full re-watch of all the Ape movies beginning to end can begin. All bought from HMV for under £21 I believe.

sheridan

Just rewatched Shaun of the Dead for the first time in years.  Great film, shall have to dig out There's Something About Mary (the 2000AD prequel/trailer).