Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: Apestrife on 05 February, 2019, 06:34:58 PM
Evil Dead Saw the one from 2013. Not seen it in years. Really like it. Not as humerous as the rest of the series, but I still got a couple of laughs out of it. Especially in some of it's more brutal moments. It does those well. I also quite like the idea it takes place during someones cold turkey. Doesn't do much with it besides a scene of greenery and sunlights towards the ending, but I still liked it. Probably has my fav post credit scene ever with Ash saying groovy in a way which makes Duke Nukem sound light. A warning. Perhaps not a film some of you should watch too late during the evening and alone. Which I did. Almost felt lucky I managed to sleep without any "interesting" dreams :)

The opening of this film is some supreme horror, in my view.
Lock up your spoons!

Keef Monkey

I need to give that remake another watch, I was pretty disappointed first time round but there's a good chance I'd enjoy it more if I know what I'm getting going in. Those movies have such a weird tone that seems really hard to nail down and perfect, and it didn't feel like it was hitting it for me. Saying that, there was a point right towards the end [spoiler]where it's raining blood[/spoiler] and I thought 'now THIS is an Evil Dead movie', but then it seemed to finish just as it was hitting its stride there. Could have been the mood I was in, will need to go back to it!

I was also pretty underwhelmed by the ending to Ghost Stories, despite liking the film a lot overall. The marketing for the play made such a big deal about not telling anyone what happens because it would spoil the surprise, so I maybe expected a lot more. The movie is creepy as hell though, and I thought Paul Whitehouse gave a great performance against type (or at least I've only ever seen him do comedy, outside of the odd tender moment in The Fast Show).

Watched half of the Netflix Fyre documentary last night and it's really something! Had to put it off just as the attendees were arriving, so looking forward to jumping in tonight and seeing how that panned out (from social media I at least know the cheese sandwiches were disappointing).

Apestrife

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 05 February, 2019, 06:43:39 PM
Quote from: Apestrife on 05 February, 2019, 06:34:58 PM
Evil Dead Saw the one from 2013. Not seen it in years. Really like it. Not as humerous as the rest of the series, but I still got a couple of laughs out of it. Especially in some of it's more brutal moments. It does those well. I also quite like the idea it takes place during someones cold turkey. Doesn't do much with it besides a scene of greenery and sunlights towards the ending, but I still liked it. Probably has my fav post credit scene ever with Ash saying groovy in a way which makes Duke Nukem sound light. A warning. Perhaps not a film some of you should watch too late during the evening and alone. Which I did. Almost felt lucky I managed to sleep without any "interesting" dreams :)

The opening of this film is some supreme horror, in my view.

It is. And the post credit scene is absolute awesomeness https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0mYGWmQ7fc :)

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 06 February, 2019, 09:38:11 AM
I need to give that remake another watch, I was pretty disappointed first time round but there's a good chance I'd enjoy it more if I know what I'm getting going in. Those movies have such a weird tone that seems really hard to nail down and perfect, and it didn't feel like it was hitting it for me. Saying that, there was a point right towards the end [spoiler]where it's raining blood[/spoiler] and I thought 'now THIS is an Evil Dead movie', but then it seemed to finish just as it was hitting its stride there. Could have been the mood I was in, will need to go back to it!

I was also left with the feeling that it was different, but I like it even more for it. Got the originals (not yet seen the tv series), and also it. It doesn't try to crash the party.

I think Fury Road and Halloween (2018) managed to do something similar for me. For me they worked both as reimaginings, sequels as well as their own thing.

Bad City Blue

Alita: Battle ANgel. Simply stunning, a near perfect SF movie. Go see it in 3D as it's well worth the upgrade.

There's a very violent game called Motorball, and all I could think of when watching it was "Kevin O'Neill should draw this"
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

M.I.K.

Quote from: Bad City Blue on 06 February, 2019, 11:21:25 PM
Alita: Battle ANgel. Simply stunning, a near perfect SF movie. Go see it in 3D as it's well worth the upgrade.

There's a very violent game called Motorball, and all I could think of when watching it was "Kevin O'Neill should draw this"

Haven't seen the film yet, but the original manga does get a bit 2000AD at times. Sometimes literally...

https://forums.2000ad.com/index.php?topic=28197.0

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: Apestrife on 06 February, 2019, 07:43:34 PM

...not yet seen the tv series...

You are in for a treat when you do!

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Hawkmumbler

Glad to hear Alita is a blast, one of my most anticipated movies in a very long time being a huge fan of the manga.

CalHab

I saw the trailer for Alita before Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (highly recommended). I thought the character design and animation was creepy and very much at the bottom of the uncanny-valley. Maybe that's deliberate? It's hard to judge from a short clip.

Bad City Blue

It's frikkin gorgeous from head to toe
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

Keef Monkey

Watched the Fyre festival documentary on Netflix, which was pretty fascinating. The thing that struck me most was the insane level of self-belief all those idiots putting it together had. It's weird to watch people who believe they're geniuses just because they're wealthy, it's a peculiarly Trumpy sort of delusion. It only barely touches on the ethical question of how accountable 'influencers' should be for this sort of thing - if you have a huge Twitter following and someone pays you a ton of money to endorse a scam, then surely you're a participant in the scam for duping all those people for cash?! Apparently Fuck Jerry had final approval on the cut, which will be why they don't seem to get much of a kicking in it for their part in it, which is a shame as would be nice to see them get their comeuppance.

There's a remorselessness to the way the main organizer fella fleeces everyone continuously (his post festival 'business' venture is pretty jaw-droppingly brazen) that's quite disturbing to watch, there's some weird disconnect with reality going on there. A good watch, curious how the rival Hulu doc portrays things.

Also saw Cherry 2000 for the first time, as a friend was putting on a double-bill of that and Steve De Jarnatt's other film Miracle Mile. It's very different, and very much a straight to video '80s action cheesefest but it's a got a lot of charm and character, and the world is a weird post-apocalyptic sci-fi western mash of styles that reminded me of something like Fallout: New Vegas. It played really well, with people cheering on the action and chuckling along with the villain (Tim Thomerson plays an awesomely quirky bad guy with some great cheeseball lines) so if you like that brand of trashy '80s B-Movie then you'd get something out of it.

It's so different to Miracle Mile though that it's a bit crazy to think it was made by the same guy, he definitely has a ton of imagination and heart so it's a shame those seem to be the only two movies he directed. Cherry 2000 is a bit of fun cheesy throwaway fun, but Miracle Mile is a proper masterpiece as far as I'm concerned. Saw it for the first time at a movie marathon screening a year or so ago knowing nothing about it and it blew my mind, and seems like everyone at this screening had that same experience. If you haven't seen it then thoroughly recommend going in as cold as possible, as not knowing what it's about made for one of the best cinema experiences I've had.

Mattofthespurs

Ok, time for some serious mea culpa.
Inspired (!) by this thread I went back to Ghost Stories one more time (this being the third).

This time I was unimpeded by wine or tiredness or even high expectations. In fact I still thought I would be disappointed. How wrong I was. I watched the movie today (in the middle of the day, with the black out curtains closed and the amp turned to 11) and thoroughly enjoyed it. Finally caught all the little nuances I had missed before (such as [spoiler]every single clock or watch being set at 3.45 (well, nearly)[/spoiler].
I then watched it immediately again with the commentary and picked up so much more that my tiny, sleep deprived, wine addled brain had missed in the first two viewings.

As so happens with me, It and Ghost Stories being two great examples, my expectations were so high that I became annoyed within minutes of the film starting and therefore failed to pay attention thereafter. My initial reactions to both were less than favourable and now I consider them both (and several other films to boot) very good.

Consider this my apology. Stupid me.

PsychoGoatee

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 08 February, 2019, 10:20:07 AM
Watched the Fyre festival documentary on Netflix, which was pretty fascinating. The thing that struck me most was the insane level of self-belief all those idiots putting it together had. It's weird to watch people who believe they're geniuses just because they're wealthy, it's a peculiarly Trumpy sort of delusion. It only barely touches on the ethical question of how accountable 'influencers' should be for this sort of thing - if you have a huge Twitter following and someone pays you a ton of money to endorse a scam, then surely you're a participant in the scam for duping all those people for cash?! Apparently Fuck Jerry had final approval on the cut, which will be why they don't seem to get much of a kicking in it for their part in it, which is a shame as would be nice to see them get their comeuppance.

There's a remorselessness to the way the main organizer fella fleeces everyone continuously (his post festival 'business' venture is pretty jaw-droppingly brazen) that's quite disturbing to watch, there's some weird disconnect with reality going on there. A good watch, curious how the rival Hulu doc portrays things.

Also saw Cherry 2000 for the first time, as a friend was putting on a double-bill of that and Steve De Jarnatt's other film Miracle Mile. It's very different, and very much a straight to video '80s action cheesefest but it's a got a lot of charm and character, and the world is a weird post-apocalyptic sci-fi western mash of styles that reminded me of something like Fallout: New Vegas. It played really well, with people cheering on the action and chuckling along with the villain (Tim Thomerson plays an awesomely quirky bad guy with some great cheeseball lines) so if you like that brand of trashy '80s B-Movie then you'd get something out of it.

It's so different to Miracle Mile though that it's a bit crazy to think it was made by the same guy, he definitely has a ton of imagination and heart so it's a shame those seem to be the only two movies he directed. Cherry 2000 is a bit of fun cheesy throwaway fun, but Miracle Mile is a proper masterpiece as far as I'm concerned. Saw it for the first time at a movie marathon screening a year or so ago knowing nothing about it and it blew my mind, and seems like everyone at this screening had that same experience. If you haven't seen it then thoroughly recommend going in as cold as possible, as not knowing what it's about made for one of the best cinema experiences I've had.

Good movies! Have you seen Radioactive Dreams? That's another fun cool movie that'd fit in somewhere on a shelf with those. Also Repo Man (1984) if anyone in here hasn't seen that somehow, one of the greats.

Tiplodocus

Researched Batman vs. Superman. For a movie striving sooo hard to be iconic and memorable, it really isn't that memorable.

I warmed a little to Man Of Steel on second viewing but a second look at BvS turned me off. 

Goyer and Snyder just don't understand Superman and Batman.  But that's Ok. You could still make a great film with those versions of the characters.

But it also seems, they have forgotten how to write a story or characters in a way that makes the action (and the iconic shots) they have in their heads seem earned.

It is literally just a collection of "ideas" which they filmed and added some short bridging scenes.

More like DAWN OF SHIT.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Dudley

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 09 February, 2019, 09:24:49 AM
Researched Batman vs. Superman. For a movie striving sooo hard to be iconic and memorable, it really isn't that memorable.

I warmed a little to Man Of Steel on second viewing but a second look at BvS turned me off. 

Goyer and Snyder just don't understand Superman and Batman.  But that's Ok. You could still make a great film with those versions of the characters.

But it also seems, they have forgotten how to write a story or characters in a way that makes the action (and the iconic shots) they have in their heads seem earned.

It is literally just a collection of "ideas" which they filmed and added some short bridging scenes.

More like DAWN OF SHIT.

Check out Moviebob/Bob Chipman's epic takedown of BvS on YouTube. Longer than War and Peace, but worth it.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Dudley on 09 February, 2019, 12:30:01 PM
Quote from: Tiplodocus on 09 February, 2019, 09:24:49 AM

More like DAWN OF SHIT.

Check out Moviebob/Bob Chipman's epic takedown of BvS on YouTube. Longer than War and Peace, but worth it.
Was about to say, Bob pulls no punches in that series, his disdain for Warner Bros franchise attitude in general is very noticable.