Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

I actually got quite the kick out of BLACK ADAM. Dumb as a barrel of drunk DC editors but decidedly less po-faced than a lot of cape fair I've seen of late. Not enough Brosnan Doctor Fate though, give me that lads movie.

The new Mark Jenkin cornish folk horror ENYS MEN dropped an advance screening out of the blue so that was a sure fire blind watch, Jenkins BAIT was my favourite movie of the 2010's. One for fans of A GHOST STORY FOR CHRISTMAS specials, eerie and ethereal.

broodblik

Black Adam was quite enjoyable. One thing which I do not like and it has become the norm in these superhero movies is that feature character sometimes does not even "feature" in his/her own movie. 
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 21 October, 2022, 05:57:22 PM
Black Adam

Shit Adam, more like.

A deft bit of wordplay there, my man  :)
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 22 October, 2022, 02:10:24 PM
A deft bit of wordplay there, my man  :)

Thanks! I was quite proud of that one. ;-)
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Tiplodocus

BIRDS OF PREY was moderately entertaining if pretty thin fare. Margot Robbie adds a bit of depth to her Harley Quinn and it's nice to see Montoya get a bit of screen time. There are some very unpleasant tonal shifts, it mistakes lots of swearing for being adult and who knows what Ewen McGregor was up to... But I enjoyed it.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

JohnW

Watched Top Gun Maverick over the weekend after a very good dinner.
My brother-in-law was of the opinion that the script had been written by predictive text, but we all agreed that everyone had lovely teeth.
America's shores are guarded, without exception, by good-looking people.
They put on sunglasses, they take off sunglasses. In between they fly big fast aeroplanes.
Recommended.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

Colin YNWA

Watched American Werewolf in London last night for the first time in an age and boy does it hold up in ways that Company of Wolves can only dream of!

Charming, witty, chilling and thrilling in equal measure. its just a brilliant film.

JohnW

First horror film I managed to sit through all on my own, big scaredy cat that I was.
It was the comedic elements that made it possible.
Oh – and Jenny Agutter.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

Daveycandlish

It really does hold up well for FORTY year old film!
And what struck me when I watched it last is how lean a movie it is - it fair whips along with every scene adding to the story and moving it forward. An amazing 90 minutes.
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Daveycandlish on 28 October, 2022, 07:46:04 PM
And what struck me when I watched it last is how lean a movie it is - it fair whips along with every scene adding to the story and moving it forward. An amazing 90 minutes.

Yeah absolutely, but never feels rushed or cramped. Wonderfully paced.

JohnW

Just watched the Netflix version of All Quiet on the Western Front.
It looks good but it would have been a much stronger film if it had been a more faithful adaptation of the original story.
The 1929 novel is a gut-punch of a book.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

The Banshees of Inisherin

Martin McDonagh has yet to make a bad film. Colin Farrell is amazing. Brendan Gleeson is still the world's greatest living actor.

Set during the civil war, with the plot mirroring the broader political situation, it's an exploration of Irish flaws through black humour, and begorrah and bayjiss, never resorts to tired hollywood Irish stereotypes. All grudge and uncompromising escalation.

Totally bleak and not life affirming at all.

I loved it.

You may quote me on that.

Jim_Campbell

See How They Run (Disney+)

I meant to catch this in the cinema, but annoyingly it wasn't showing anywhere I could get to easily, so I caught it on Disney yesterday.

A great cast with a witty script rattle through this thoroughly entertaining whodunnit in brisk 98 minutes. It's great fun, leaving no murder mystery cliché undeployed whilst gently sending up the whole genre. Rockwell and Ronan make a great detective duo and I'd be very happy to see them return for another case.

It's no Knives Out, but it's definitely worth a watch.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Funt Solo

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 06 November, 2022, 02:43:32 PM

Thanks for the recommendation - I've got a soft spot for Sam Rockwell, so will try this out.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: Funt Solo on 06 November, 2022, 04:36:54 PM
Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 06 November, 2022, 02:43:32 PM

Thanks for the recommendation - I've got a soft spot for Sam Rockwell, so will try this out.

I would echo much of what Jim says. If you've ever enjoyed Agatha Christie's work there's a lot of fun little easter eggs sprinkled throughout.
You may quote me on that.