Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 03 September, 2018, 09:47:19 PM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 25 October, 2015, 10:17:57 PM
Well Beyond Thunderdome wasn't as bad as I remember, though I've only seen it all once before and was so disappointed haven't seen it in its entirity since. This time I quite enjoyed it, but its a film with many flaws and is for me by far the weakest of the trilogy (that is no more)... SOME... WELL A LOT OF RAMBLING ON....

Yet still for all its problems it was entertaining, it worked as a film in its own terms, just not sure its a great addition to the series of films, well aside from the fact it looks like the perfect evolution of the work, the design is exemparliy once again, but that aside its kinda Goons meets Time Bandits meets Mad Max, not the third Mad Max film.

All of this is true but I've washed it again tonight with expectations managed and you know what I really enjoyed it. It felt far more coherant. Told a strong, worthwhile narrative and is entertaining from start to finish. Now its still the weakest in the trilogy of four but by heck its a strong bottom.

Personally I adore Thunderdome, due to the slight change of pace to the rest of the series.
I read somewhere that the location scout for the Max movies died in an accident, and George Miller stepped back from production because of this, only directing some of the vehicle stuff near the end and leaving the rest to another director.
Not sure on the accuracy of the above, but if true it does explain quite a lot!

Still love it though. It's got 2000AD written all over it!

abelardsnazz

Searching. Thriller that takes place entirely on computer screens. Seen the format before on a couple of horrors, but this works well here, building tension as John Cho becomes increasingly desperate in a search for his missing daughter. I wouldn't like to see this format all the time, but I enjoyed this one.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Woolly on 04 September, 2018, 05:55:29 PM

I read somewhere that the location scout for the Max movies died in an accident, and George Miller stepped back from production because of this, only directing some of the vehicle stuff near the end and leaving the rest to another director.

Close it was actually the producer Byron Kennedy who had worked with George Miller for pretty much all of his career (if not all) was killed in a helicopter crash while scouting location for the film. George was apparently and understandably distraught.

JOE SOAP

and George Miller stepped back from production because of this, only directing some of the vehicle stuff near the end and leaving the rest to another director.

He had a co-director on the film.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Avengers: Infinity War
After a dismal presentation at the cinema, where the projection was so awful I could barely make out what was going on, the dvd viewing was sheer unadulterated bliss.
After twenty movies over ten years, I (and the rest of the audience) have taken these characters into my heart and am completely invested in them all. Even Bucky and Sam Wilson. Shove them up against a villain as beautifully rendered and well-rounded as Thanos, and you have what is honestly one of the all-time great film experiences. It doesn't put a foot wrong, is thrilling and funny and absorbing and the end packs a hell of a dramatic punch.

There is no way Avengers 4 can live up to this, and is BOUND to be a crushing disappointment. He says in the same whiny, annoying voice of those saying the superhero bubble is soon to burst, and all these movies are populist crap anyway.

SBT

Hawkmumbler

It's a testament to how well Disney have handled their Marvel lexicon that i'm more excited for the freaking supporting cast of any given movie than I am for WBs handling of freaking Superman.

JamesC

I really rate Beyond Thunderdome - it has some of my favourite Max moments of them all.

- Handing over weapons in Bartertown.
- The Thunderdome itself (and the fight with Master Blaster in particular).
- The telling of the great disaster, with the cave paintings and the telling stick (or whatever it's called).
- 'Bust a deal - face the wheel'.

All lovely stuff.

Keef Monkey

Quote from: JamesC on 04 September, 2018, 01:17:22 PM
Assault on Precinct 13 (1976)

I hadn't seen this in years and really, really enjoyed it. It's so hard and brutal in places yet almost sentimental in others - it's also funny, with Napoleon Wilson's lines guaranteed to raise a snigger. Just brilliant.
It does an excellent job of making you wonder what's happening off camera. What are this crazy gang/cult up to? Where did they come from? What happens next?

We've been doing a bit of a chronological Carpenter rewatch of late too, and I was really taken aback by how well Assault still holds up. My memory of it is so vague that I'm not even 100% certain I'd seen the whole thing before, and my wife definitely hadn't, but we were on the edge of our seats throughout and cheering during the finale. It's so fantastic at building, sustaining and releasing tension. When the credits rolled she turned to me and told me it was absolutely brilliant, which is a more enthusiastic review than some of my other movie picks have had! A proper classic.

Woolly

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 04 September, 2018, 09:09:52 PM

Close it was actually the producer Byron Kennedy who had worked with George Miller for pretty much all of his career (if not all) was killed in a helicopter crash while scouting location for the film. George was apparently and understandably distraught.

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 04 September, 2018, 09:27:20 PM
and George Miller stepped back from production because of this, only directing some of the vehicle stuff near the end and leaving the rest to another director.

He had a co-director on the film.

Cheers for clearing that up chaps, all makes a bit more sense now.

TordelBack

Kubo and the Two Strings. Wow.

Mattofthespurs

The Nun

Standard fare with plenty of 'hommages' to the likes of Fulci, Argento and Friedkin.

The middle drags horribly (I nearly dozed off) but the soundtrack is pretty bombastic (which kept me awake).

Lots of 'jump scares' hardly any of which worked although a woman a couple of seats down from me visibly jumped four times and screamed, genuinely, twice.

It's not that good though. 6/10 if you like this kind of stuff.

Dandontdare

Hardcore Henry - a fun and innovative action-movie experiment, filmed throughout from the protagonist's POV as in a FPS videogame, but the novelty wears a bit thin over an hour and a half - the music video that came out a few years ago to showcase the technique is a lot more fun.

They have not only taken the relentless action and visual approach of a FPS but the threadbare plot as well - manic action scenes interspersed with an endlessly-regenerating comedy NPC popping up to nudge the hero on to the next level scene (Well played by Sharlto Copley of District 9). Even Tim Roth shows up in a (rather pointless) flashback. It was engaging enough to keep me watching to the end (though I was checking my phone a lot during the climactic punch up against dozens of white-clad super-soldiers).

abelardsnazz

BlacKKKlansman. Spike Lee's latest joint weaves humour, engaging characters and dark drama into a satisfying and thought-provoking whole. Great 70s period design too.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: abelardsnazz on 10 September, 2018, 08:34:14 PM
BlacKKKlansman. Spike Lee's latest joint weaves humour, engaging characters and dark drama into a satisfying and thought-provoking whole. Great 70s period design too.
"Did you just sign up to the KKK under your real name?"
"Oh Sheeeee-it-"
"Well enjoy your new redneck life i'm sure you'll fit right in..."

Brilliant movie, and the last few minutes are a bunch to the guts, eveb to those already aware of the hideous state of white nationalism in the west today.

Hawkmumbler

Prison (1988) Charles Band produced ghost story set in, you guessed it, a Prison. Quiet an enjoyable romp, i'd argue one of the great underrated ghost movies, an atmosphere comparable to Shawshank meets The Keep, with some memorable death set pieces and some surprisingly developed characters for an 80's US Horror. Recommended.

The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes (1970) is still the best Holmes movie. Everything about this works, both affectionately sending up the works of Conan Doyle and Gillete, and nodding to all the series issues also. Fabulous to look at, genuinely funny at times, Christopher Lee being THE version of Mycroft, and a submersible disguised as Nessie. Billy Wilders most under appreciated film.