Main Menu

What's everyone listening to...?

Started by Gonk, 01 February, 2012, 09:53:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudcrab

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 06 March, 2012, 10:20:40 PM
Ooooh I saw le Wizard two years ago or so - very heavy. Much good. My doomy excursion this spring will be to a "DOOM ALLDAYER" at the Bristol Fleece. Cheeky chicken.

Nice, I might manage a wee trip to Glasgow to see OG with any luck. Eek, 5 days before Meshuggah, dunno if the mate's wife will let him out to play that much  :lol:

Ah well, here's a song with an appropriate intro for now...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_aNqHqNMbY&feature=fvst
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

Gonk

coming at a cinema near you soon

Gonk

"Moonswept" by The Roches.
This is a band who've worked with Robert Fripp and Tony Levin amongst others.
http://www.roches.com/

I'm suprised this album hasn't appeared on the unicorn thread because it has one on the cover.

Noisybast

Mark Lanegan Band: Blues Funeral

Went to see the man himself in Manchester the other day and picked up a copy of his new album, which he kindly signed for me. Good stuff.

http://www.marklanegan.com/
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

Mudcrab

Currently listening to Gorod's Neurotripsicks but thought I'd post this Psycroptic cover cos it's cool and looks very much like a Cythron  :D

NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

Gonk

nice cover!

Listening to "Infamous Angel" by Iris DeMent.... Lovely stuff.

http://www.irisdement.com/

O Lucky Stevie!

Not merely Norway's finest exponent of rare groove but Norway's finest exponent of rare groove remixed by the Italian maestro himself

Bobby Hughes Combination -- Kerma elastica (Nicola Conte remix)
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

O Lucky Stevie!

Stevie's in a (ahem) groove

Fantastic Plastic Machine -- Belinda May is the sole worthwhile remix on the album but boy howdy it's a Linda Lusardi-class stunner. The compressed version on Youtube really doesn't do it any justice.

Pants Hands down it's up there with this , this & the gobsmacking genius of this as Stevie's fave remixes EVAH.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Gonk

HOO-HAA

I've been listening to a lot of doom metal lately. Bands like BLOOD CEREMONY, ELECTRIC WIZARD, THE DEVIL'S BLOOD, THE WOUNDED KINGS, GHOST etc. And it suddenly struck me that while most of these bands are very Sabbathian (to coin a phrase) I've never really bothered much with Oz & co to date.

So rectified that last night by buying both BLACK SABBATH (debut) and SABBATH BLOODY SABBATH. Beautiful covers on both, and a 2 for 10 deal at HMV, so couldn't resist.

And geez, what a treat!  :)

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: HOO-HAA on 09 March, 2012, 09:42:40 AM
I've been listening to a lot of doom metal lately. Bands like BLOOD CEREMONY, ELECTRIC WIZARD

I saw one support the other year t'was doomtastic -

Last night I spent with local thrashers and this morning I'm spending with this beefy Robert Johnson compilation

...BUT IS IT ALL AT THE RIGHT SPEED...?

Gonk

Black Sabbath are very mainstream but there's a lot to be said for their albums.
This one's an absolute classic as well....

exilewood

Yeah. Robert Johnson is fantastic. Beyond fantastic really. "Hellhound on my Trail" is one of the greatest recordings I ever did hear.

Mudcrab

Quote from: fonky on 09 March, 2012, 11:34:38 AM
Black Sabbath are very mainstream but there's a lot to be said for their albums.
This one's an absolute classic as well....

:lol: Yeah, all the teenagers and housewives listen to Sabbath these days. Strange thing to say. Back in the day, they'd have been very much underground, creeping into the charts here and there and then just growing along with the rest of metal, which didn't really have a mainstream and an underground as such until the 80s (generally speaking). I'd descibe Ozzy as "mainstream" to a certain extent, but only from Bark at the Moon onwards, when it was (became) mainstream metal, as opposed to thrash, doom and stuff.

Maybe they became that in the later 70s (I know I'm not keen on the last 2 Ozzy Sabbath albums) but I was still just reading comics and stuff at that time  :D In fact, right when my sister was seeing them and  a young Van Halen in Aberdeen, I'd have been at home reading Starlord!

Anyway, not meaning to argue, just found it a strange way to describe Sabbath. Mainstream to me means pop, or commercial shit. Boy bands, girly warbling and the like. You know, like Linkin Park  :lol:

And yes, it is. Randy Rhoads is sadly missed, his solos on that are astounding.
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!