Main Menu

What's everyone listening to...?

Started by Gonk, 01 February, 2012, 09:53:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlie boy

Pete Yorn- Musicforthemorningafter

exilewood

I was just reading Grant & Tordel's thoughts on the sense & use of time in Love & Rockets...which reminded me of this :

http://youtu.be/YwSZvHqf9qM

So, I listened to it again.

DrJomster

Cup Of Brown Joy by the excellent Professor Elemental.
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Charlie boy

QuickQuag

Currently listening to some Big Finish Dr Who, so that doesn't count. But Father's day is on Sunday and boy am I looking forward to my present:

The Darkness Hot Cakes

Yeah yeah, come at me buddy. When I listen to it I'm sixteen again and everything is good. After THAT I can get all worthy and check out the new Bailter Space album and feel... er, twenty.

Scrolling down the iPod... I've nothing to declare until I get to L!

Letter From America

Some might think that uncool, I don't care. Early Proclaimers is pretty lippy and interesting. That's the only one of theirs I've got on at the moment but even some of Sunshine on Leith I'd go for as well.
The views above are entirely my own. And there's the problem.

NapalmKev

Today I've been mostly listening to-the crappy pre-programmed Digi box that's been installed at my work (they won't renew public entertainment license). There's less than 100 songs on it, and they all sound like rip-offs of other tunes.

Will need a full night of Grind to get over this tosh!

Cheers  :)
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Charlie boy

Quote from: NapalmKev on 30 August, 2012, 02:31:53 PM
Today I've been mostly listening to-the crappy pre-programmed Digi box that's been installed at my work (they won't renew public entertainment license). There's less than 100 songs on it, and they all sound like rip-offs of other tunes.

Will need a full night of Grind to get over this tosh!

Cheers  :)
I once had the joy of working in a store that played cover versions of famous songs. The singers were all people I worked alongside. I'm not kidding.

Charlie boy

The Cribs- Men's Needs, Women's Needs, Whatever

COMMANDO FORCES

I'm listening to the Dredd soundtrack at this moment in time :thumbsup:

Mudcrab

Ah, must be still firmly in your head from last night then  :D I'm avoiding the review thread, going to be a struggle waiting the next week out!

My next trip to the big smoke is in October, when I'll be seeing 2 of my all-time favourite bands, bizarrely both Canadian, Voivod and Nomeansno. Definitely the finest thing to come out of Canada musically, after Rush of course.

So my mate can catch up with some Nomeansno I'm currently ripping their stuff I've only got on vinyl, so of course listening to it at the same time (stupid real-time ripping  ::))

So yeah, currently on Small Parts Isolated and Destroyed. It's punk (but not the political) more than anything (also see Hanson Brothers for more straight-forward Ramones style Ice Hockey inspired punk  :D), but so much more, don't think I'd ever compare them to anyone else. I used to think they were very dark, which they are really lol, but seeing them live was a revelation back in 94 I think it was the first time. Dark stuff, but they have a sense of humour about them too that completely changed my view of them. An example, Dark Ages...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmBDkYGVqGQ

And my favourite off this (listening to now), Real Love...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ju5W_FT2D5I

That's what I heard a crow say anyway  ;)
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

Charlie boy

The Cooper Temple Clause- Make This Your Own

Frank

Quote from: Mudcrab on 31 August, 2012, 07:45:12 PM
My next trip to the big smoke is in October, when I'll be seeing 2 of my all-time favourite bands, bizarrely both Canadian, Voivod and Nomeansno. It's punk but so much more, don't think I'd ever compare them to anyone else. I used to think they were very dark, which they are really lol, but seeing them live was a revelation back in 94 I think it was the first time. Dark stuff, but they have a sense of humour about them too that completely changed my view of them. That's what I heard a crow say anyway

The one and only time I saw Nomeansno was around the same time, Mudcrab. It was at Glasgow Garage, and the first thing Rob Wright said as they took the stage was "Yes ... we are that old", which was definitely what I was thinking. They then played a non-stop, heads down set that was so hardcore there were people being passed out of the mosh pit from exhaustion after about 40 minutes, and the band took pity on the crowd of wilting teenage weegies by playing a couple of slow(er) songs.

And, aye; they're nothing like any other band. Punk, Jazz Rock, Math Rock; nothing quite covers it, but I'd agree that it's their sense of humour that really sets them apart more than the odd time signatures and stop/start dynamics. The songs sound even more incredible live than on record, and the between song banter is priceless. I think these two represent the opposite poles of what Mr Right and Mr Wrong do so fucking brilliantly:

I Got A Gun: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgBiTisZC3o

The River: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYw0VmHytjU

Mikey

bikini and Mudcrab-check out my sig ;-)

Two Wrights do make a Wrong.

M
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Frank

Quote from: Mikey on 01 September, 2012, 09:47:46 PM
bikini and Mudcrab-check out my sig ;-) Two Wrights do make a Wrong

I can't believe I never noticed that before! It's pine cone sex face first for you and me, Mikey

Mudcrab

Hah, I'm sure I'd read that but never twigged  :D

Would have been the same gig, Grud bless the Garage! Heh, they were old then, would think they'll all have chairs BB King style by now!
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!